Ponderable

We Are Living Nineteen Eighty-Four
By VICTOR DAVIS HANSON
September 25, 2018

Truth, due process, evidence, rights of the accused: All are swept aside in pursuit of the progressive agenda.

George Orwell’s 1949 dystopian novel Nineteen Eighty-Four is no longer fiction. We are living it right now.

Google techies planned to massage Internet searches to emphasize correct thinking. A member of the so-called deep state, in an anonymous op-ed, brags that its “resistance” is undermining an elected president. The FBI, CIA, DOJ, and NSC were all weaponized in 2016 to ensure that the proper president would be elected — the choice adjudicated by properly progressive ideology. Wearing a wire is now redefined as simply flipping on an iPhone and recording your boss, boy- or girlfriend, or co-workers.

But never has the reality that we are living in a surreal age been clearer than during the strange cycles of Christine Blasey Ford’s accusations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

In Orwell’s world of 1984 Oceania, there is no longer a sense of due process, free inquiry, rules of evidence and cross examination, much less a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Instead, regimented ideology — the supremacy of state power to control all aspects of one’s life to enforce a fossilized idea of mandated quality — warps everything from the use of language to private life.

Senator Diane Feinstein and the other Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee had long sought to destroy the Brett Kavanaugh nomination. Much of their paradoxical furor over his nomination arises from the boomeranging of their own past political blunders, such as when Democrats ended the filibuster on judicial nominations, in 2013. They also canonized the so-called 1992 Biden Rule, which holds that the Senate should not consider confirming the Supreme Court nomination of a lame-duck president (e.g., George H. W. Bush) in an election year.

Rejecting Kavanaugh proved a hard task given that he had a long record of judicial opinions and writings — and there was nothing much in them that would indicate anything but a sharp mind, much less any ideological, racial, or sexual intolerance. His personal life was impeccable, his family admirable.

Kavanaugh was no combative Robert Bork, but congenial, and he patiently answered all the questions asked of him, despite constant demonstrations and pre-planned street-theater interruptions from the Senate gallery and often obnoxious grandstanding by “I am Spartacus” Democratic senators.

So Kavanaugh was going to be confirmed unless a bombshell revelation derailed the vote. And so we got a bombshell.

Weeks earlier, Senator Diane Feinstein had received a written allegation against Kavanaugh of sexual battery by an accuser who wished to remain anonymous. Feinstein sat on it for nearly two months, probably because she thought the charges were either spurious or unprovable. Until a few days ago, she mysteriously refused to release the full text of the redacted complaint, and she has said she does not know whether the very accusations that she purveyed are believable. Was she reluctant to memorialize the accusations by formally submitting them to the Senate Judiciary Committee, because doing so makes Ford subject to possible criminal liability if the charges prove demonstrably untrue?

The gambit was clearly to use the charges as a last-chance effort to stop the nomination — but only if Kavanaugh survived the cross examinations during the confirmation hearing. Then, in extremis, Feinstein finally referenced the charge, hoping to keep it anonymous, but, at the same time, to hint of its serious nature and thereby to force a delay in the confirmation. Think something McCarthesque, like “I have here in my hand the name . . .”

Delay would mean that the confirmation vote could be put off until after the midterm election, and a few jeopardized Democratic senators in Trump states would not have to go on record voting no on Kavanaugh. Or the insidious innuendos, rumor, and gossip about Kavanaugh would help to bleed him to death by a thousand leaks and, by association, tank Republican chances at retaining the House. (Republicans may or may not lose the House over the confirmation circus, but they most surely will lose their base and, with it, the Congress if they do not confirm Kavanaugh.)

Feinstein’s anonymous trick did not work. So pressure mounted to reveal or leak Ford’s identity and thereby force an Anita-Hill–like inquest that might at least show old white men Republican senators as insensitive to a vulnerable and victimized woman.

The problem, of course, was that, under traditional notions of jurisprudence, Ford’s allegations simply were not provable. But America soon discovered that civic and government norms no longer follow the Western legal tradition. In Orwellian terms, Kavanaugh was now at the mercy of the state. He was tagged with sexual battery at first by an anonymous accuser, and then upon revelation of her identity, by a left-wing, political activist psychology professor and her more left-wing, more politically active lawyer.

Newspeak and Doublethink

Statue of limitations? It does not exist. An incident 36 years ago apparently is as fresh today as it was when Kavanaugh was 17 and Ford 15.

Presumption of Innocence? Not at all. Kavanaugh is accused and thereby guilty. The accuser faces no doubt. In Orwellian America, the accused must first present his defense, even though he does not quite know what he is being charged with. Then the accuser and her legal team pour over his testimony to prepare her accusation.

Evidence? That too is a fossilized concept. Ford could name neither the location of the alleged assault nor the date or time. She had no idea how she arrived or left the scene of the alleged crime. There is no physical evidence of an attack. And such lacunae in her memory mattered no longer at all.

Details? Again, such notions are counterrevolutionary. Ford said to her therapist 6 years ago (30 years after the alleged incident) that there were four would-be attackers, at least as recorded in the therapist’s notes.

But now she has claimed that there were only two assaulters: Kavanaugh and a friend. In truth, all four people — now including a female — named in her accusations as either assaulters or witnesses have insisted that they have no knowledge of the event, much less of wrongdoing wherever and whenever Ford claims the act took place. That they deny knowledge is at times used as proof by Ford’s lawyers that the event 36 years was traumatic.

entire article for those that are interested:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/09/kavanaugh-nomination-battle-like-orwells-1984/

I look forward to your quoted post from me in which I drew any line in the sand.
I've played this game with you before in the old Hollywood is sick thread. I was correct then (props because you agreed) but I no longer desire to play games so I will go the Espola route. I choose to stick to my particular viewpoint while you deny that you ever drew such line. Once I feel you have dug your hole deep enough I might produce the post.

I've played this game with you before in the old Hollywood is sick thread. I was correct then (props because you agreed) but I no longer desire to play games so I will go the Espola route. I choose to stick to my particular viewpoint while you deny that you ever drew such line. Once I feel you have dug your hole deep enough I might produce the post.
Let’s agree I dug a really deep hole. Deep enough that you will post whatever you believe will be my “line in the sand” quote.

Good luck, Jim.

What did this wanna be joan of arc do to make people want to pay to see her? The only thing I remember is her throwing low income people out of her hospital and taking them to community hospitals and ruining our kids lunches with a menu her fat ass wouldn't ever eat.

A woman of the people.
FOSHO.

Michelle Obama Book Tour Draws Beyoncé-Like Prices
By Derrick BlakleySeptember 25, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Filed Under:beyonce, Derrick Blakley, Michelle Obama, Michelle Obama Book Tour, Michelle Obama Book Tour Prices, United Center
CHICAGO (CBS) — Has Michelle deserted the masses? That is the question some women, especially black women, are asking after seeing the sky-high ticket prices for Michelle Obama’s book tour.

CBS 2’s Derrick Blakley said Michelle Obama’s book tour consists of inclusionary talk, but exclusionary prices. There won’t be any low-key, Hillary-like book signings for Michelle; instead, she’s proving to be an arena-star like Beyoncé.

Michelle Obama’s November 13th book tour kicks off at the United Center in Chicago. The demand is so high, an additional show is being considered; but some big supporters of the former First Lady say she has priced herself right out of their league.

Writer Michelle Duster openly admires Michelle Obama, and even wrote a book about the former First Lady; but her book tour prices have left Duster in shock.

“I didn’t anticipate the lowest price would be $500, five minutes into the ticket sales,” Duster said.

United Center tickets ranged from $29.50 all the way up to $3,000 for VIP treatment. The cheaper tickets were sold out immediately, leaving disappointment bordering on bitterness for many.

“I think there’s a disconnect: what they stand for, what they have stood for and worked for, and the ticket prices,” said Duster.

“You definitely wanted everyone to see her who can, but there’s also an element of ‘be proud of her.’ This is a former First Lady who made history and now she’s making history the way she’s doing her book tour,” stated Kyra Kyles, a former Ebony editor-in-chief and current contributor to The Grio.

Others sense a denial that the Obamas are no longer “regular folk.”

Political consultant Delmarie Cobb said, “They have a reason to be upset because I’m sure they felt that if she was going to be a book tour, it was going to be for the masses, not just for the elite.”

The tour promoter, Live Nation, is donating 10% of all ticket sales to charities, schools, and community groups to increase accessibility, which is why an arena tour was chosen in the first place.

The steep prices, however, seem to be working against that goal

Californians to try to kill high-speed rail project by referendum
Jazz Shaw Sep 26, 2018 10:41 AM
Top Pick
BulletTrain.jpg

Boondoggle

Justice

GRAPHIC — Mexican Army Kills 5 Cartel Gunmen near Texas Border
29EmailGoogle+Twitter

Miguel-Aleman-Shooting-640x480.jpg

Breitbart Texas / Cartel Chronicles
26 Sep 201843
MIGUEL ALEMAN, Tamaulipas — A series of fierce gun battles between the Mexican Army and Gulf Cartel spread terror among residents of two border towns.

The battles took place recently in Ciudad Mier, directly south of Starr County, Texas. According to information obtained by Breitbart Texas, a military squad spotted a convoy of about 10 SUVs with cartel gunmen near the town square.

As Breitbart Texas reported, the Gulf Cartel is deploying heavily armed gunmen throughout the region in response to incursions from a rival organization. The convoys were tied to multiple, large-scale battles in recent days.

When the Mexican military tried to stop the approaching gunmen, they came under fire–leading to a fierce battle where the soldiers killed one cartel shooter as the rest managed an escape. Authorities called for reinforcements and sent a large contingent aimed at tracking down the remainders.

Military forces and cartel gunmen clashed once more near the town of Guerrero, also immediately south of Starr County. The large-scale gun battle killed at least four cartel men, however, residents reported finding numerous puddles of blood throughout the area and several SUVs damaged by gunfire.

Editor’s Note: Breitbart Texas traveled to the Mexican States of Tamaulipas, Coahuila, and Nuevo León to recruit citizen journalists willing to risk their lives and expose the cartels silencing their communities. The writers would face certain death at the hands of the various cartels that operate in those areas including the Gulf Cartel and Los Zetas if a pseudonym were not used. Breitbart Texas’ Cartel Chronicles are published in both English and in their original Spanish. This article was written by “A.C. Del Angel” from Tamaulipas.

Back