MLS Next is now paying youth clubs if their players go pro

Carlsbad7

PREMIER
MLS begins compensating youth clubs via MLS NEXT Development Grant program

The Development Grant program will provide additional opportunities for players across the United States and Canada to access the highest level of player development, while recognizing the considerable impact that clubs make in the early stages of an athlete’s development. The program has already compensated a total of more than $100,000 to eight different MLS NEXT Elite Academies for players that are retroactively eligible for the Development Grant.

Retroactive MLS NEXT Development Grant Recipients​

PlayerMLS ClubMLS NEXT Elite Academy
Adam BeaudryColorado RapidsReal Colorado
Julio BenitezReal Salt LakeRSL Arizona
Chance CowellSan Jose EarthquakesSacramento Republic FC
Benjamin CremaschiInter Miami CFWeston FC
Kristian FletcherD.C. UnitedBethesda SC
Caden GloverSt. Louis CITY SCSt. Louis Scott Gallagher
Peyton MillerNew England RevolutionOakwood Soccer Club
Tyson PearceSt. Louis CITY SCSt. Louis Scott Gallagher
Brooklyn RainesHouston Dynamo FCBarca Residency Academy
Santiago SuarezNew England RevolutionSacramento Republic FC

MLS begins compensating youth clubs via MLS NEXT Development Grant program

The Development Grant program will provide additional opportunities for players across the United States and Canada to access the highest level of player development, while recognizing the considerable impact that clubs make in the early stages of an athlete’s development. The program has already compensated a total of more than $100,000 to eight different MLS NEXT Elite Academies for players that are retroactively eligible for the Development Grant.

Retroactive MLS NEXT Development Grant Recipients​

PlayerMLS ClubMLS NEXT Elite Academy
Adam BeaudryColorado RapidsReal Colorado
Julio BenitezReal Salt LakeRSL Arizona
Chance CowellSan Jose EarthquakesSacramento Republic FC
Benjamin CremaschiInter Miami CFWeston FC
Kristian FletcherD.C. UnitedBethesda SC
Caden GloverSt. Louis CITY SCSt. Louis Scott Gallagher
Peyton MillerNew England RevolutionOakwood Soccer Club
Tyson PearceSt. Louis CITY SCSt. Louis Scott Gallagher
Brooklyn RainesHouston Dynamo FCBarca Residency Academy
Santiago SuarezNew England RevolutionSacramento Republic FC
I see that they didn't break it down. I wonder how the $ work. Are the MLS Next Elite Academies completely free? If they are, then I can see how/why the clubs should get the money as they have made the investment. On the other hand, if they are not free, i.e. if the kids parent paid for the training, leagues, tournaments, travel etc., then shouldn't they get the money, as they are the ones who made the investment ...

I see that they didn't break it down. I wonder how the $ work. Are the MLS Next Elite Academies completely free? If they are, then I can see how/why the clubs should get the money as they have made the investment. On the other hand, if they are not free, i.e. if the kids parent paid for the training, leagues, tournaments, travel etc., then shouldn't they get the money, as they are the ones who made the investment ...
I've gone back and forth on this one...

Technically it should go back to the parents. (At least a portion)

But, then I think for the greater good its ok that it goes back to club owners.

Either way having more money than you expected is never a bad thing.

Given this...

I think top teams of MLS Next elite academies should be free...

I know a few are in SoCal... but more should be in my opinion... (looking at you Strikers... Liverpool...)

Given this...

I think top teams of MLS Next elite academies should be free...

I know a few are in SoCal... but more should be in my opinion... (looking at you Strikers... Liverpool...)

A few of them are at a discount as opposed to regular teams. Strikers though has a long line of teams under the MLS Next level to subsidize them...people are attracted to it even at the lower levels because they attract talent and win the trophies. Free though would break some clubs like Laufa or Murrietta or the residentials like Barsca and IMG (what is IMG tuition now anyway...is it really somewhere in the 70K?). Don't know how Liverpool does it if true but the Strikers model isn't really easily reproducible (god knows SoCal Elite has tried).

A few of them are at a discount as opposed to regular teams. Strikers though has a long line of teams under the MLS Next level to subsidize them...people are attracted to it even at the lower levels because they attract talent and win the trophies. Free though would break some clubs like Laufa or Murrietta or the residentials like Barsca and IMG (what is IMG tuition now anyway...is it really somewhere in the 70K?). Don't know how Liverpool does it if true but the Strikers model isn't really easily reproducible (god knows SoCal Elite has tried).

How do TFA and Surf make it work for their top teams? They're the first two that come to mind for fully funding their top teams in each age group...

LOL, 70k. Try again.

Barca resi is about 10k cheaper. Though they negotiate if they really want to get their hands on your player.

Back