How’s the 2023-24 season going?

All of them, in fact the entire team is from SD county. They aren't yet old enough to drive, which is when they kind of come out of the woodwork to join the club. Although, there are a few crazy parents out there that will move to the area just for their kids to play at Surf. Crossing over from Southern Orange County is no big deal, but a few years ago, we had 4-5 girls on the U-17 National team and all but 1 were not from out of town, but out of state. That is crazy unless you are that good and need the competition and exposure trying to play at the highest level. Exposure is a big deal at that level, and also the politics unfortunately are also crazy.
Is this a full scholarship team or a mix bag of parents paying for write off and some kids getting a full ride? Also, I think it's amazing to have the Wave practicing at the fields. Our top team in 2017 got #10 Natty for the club but lots of OC players and a couple IE. What sucked was no lights and it made each week a nightmare fo those of us driving far away. Everyone that was playing on this team wanted to make the list for the first ever U14 National Team. Thanks for sharing. Go Surf, Go Blues, Go Legends, Go Strikes (RIP) and go youth soccer. I miss the action; I wrote lie bro. 2010 is 13-14 is a great time for the girls without all the distractions and soon the dreaded high school years are coming. One of the Blues top Guru told me this why you should hold off on YNT Camps at this age and wait until after high school weeds out those who are interested in other things and the real cream rises to the top. I think this is an excellent time age wise, but some disagree. Thoughts? What he ws trying to say was girls burn out, boys come out of freaking nowhere and then all the school dances and all the fun that comes with it. You almost have to home school to keep up with the best of the best. Peace Bruh 🤙

Is this a full scholarship team or a mix bag of parents paying for write off and some kids getting a full ride? Also, I think it's amazing to have the Wave practicing at the fields. Our top team in 2017 got #10 Natty for the club but lots of OC players and a couple IE. What sucked was no lights and it made each week a nightmare fo those of us driving far away. Everyone that was playing on this team wanted to make the list for the first ever U14 National Team. Thanks for sharing. Go Surf, Go Blues, Go Legends, Go Strikes (RIP) and go youth soccer. I miss the action; I wrote lie bro. 2010 is 13-14 is a great time for the girls without all the distractions and soon the dreaded high school years are coming. One of the Blues top Guru told me this why you should hold off on YNT Camps at this age and wait until after high school weeds out those who are interested in other things and the real cream rises to the top. I think this is an excellent time age wise, but some disagree. Thoughts? What he ws trying to say was girls burn out, boys come out of freaking nowhere and then all the school dances and all the fun that comes with it. You almost have to home school to keep up with the best of the best. Peace Bru
Majority paying, some scholarships. Having Wave at the polo fields is awesome. The '14 boys RL team is used as cannon fodder (although they can be very competitive depending who is on the field) and just a couple of weeks ago, some of the WAVE players did some training for the 2010 girls that could be there.

My take on the national team is to do it. It is incredibly exciting and can boost a kids confidence. And the experience may not be there later in life. I was never cursed with parent goggles which was a blessing in my assessment of my kids, but a curse to them in that I could be rather blunt on their performance (and harder on them than I would be today). So, since I see the world as I am, my advice to parents is to be objective of your child's current capability and future capabilities. In other words "get real". If they have great athletic genes, live to play soccer, hate losing, have a high level of soccer IQ, have real speed and quickness, and a tremendous work and learning ethic, that is one thing. However, I watch players that are highly trained girls, but are a 3 out of 10 in terms of athleticism. Yet the parents see them on the national team. Stating the obvious, those different players have incredibly different paths. Ultimately my advice is "know your kid". Girls do burn out, so manage them so they don't! Make them have other activities, take the right amount of time off. Eventually, they will either transition from playing for Mom and Dad, to playing for themselves, or as a player I knew well, who after a very successful college career said she wanted to get married and be a mom, even as Dad had visions of the national team.

Know your kid and take off the parent goggles!

Majority paying, some scholarships. Having Wave at the polo fields is awesome. The '14 boys RL team is used as cannon fodder (although they can be very competitive depending who is on the field) and just a couple of weeks ago, some of the WAVE players did some training for the 2010 girls that could be there.

My take on the national team is to do it. It is incredibly exciting and can boost a kids confidence. And the experience may not be there later in life. I was never cursed with parent goggles which was a blessing in my assessment of my kids, but a curse to them in that I could be rather blunt on their performance (and harder on them than I would be today). So, since I see the world as I am, my advice to parents is to be objective of your child's current capability and future capabilities. In other words "get real". If they have great athletic genes, live to play soccer, hate losing, have a high level of soccer IQ, have real speed and quickness, and a tremendous work and learning ethic, that is one thing. However, I watch players that are highly trained girls, but are a 3 out of 10 in terms of athleticism. Yet the parents see them on the national team. Stating the obvious, those different players have incredibly different paths. Ultimately my advice is "know your kid". Girls do burn out, so manage them so they don't! Make them have other activities, take the right amount of time off. Eventually, they will either transition from playing for Mom and Dad, to playing for themselves, or as a player I knew well, who after a very successful college career said she wanted to get married and be a mom, even as Dad had visions of the national team.

Know your kid and take off the parent goggles!
Excellent takes and great advice.

I have a curious question brother. How many of these 2010s are local to San Diego?

Fun fact. 3 of them are from the 2010 team that formed at SDSC during the 7v7 days that you may remember being talked about around here back then. The 4th stared on the 2nd team at SDSC and was held off the 1st team when she probably deserved a call up when the team moved to 9v9 so she moved to Surf. All 9 of those original SDSC players are on an ECNL team currently, and 8 of 9 are now at Surf. Goes to show how significant that little team was back then.

Last edited:
Fun fact. 3 of them are from the 2010 team that formed at SDSC during the 7v7 days that you may remember being talked about around here back then. The 4th stared on the 2nd team at SDSC and was held off the 1st team when she probably deserved a call up when the team moved to 9v9 so she moved to Surf. All 9 of those original SDSC players are on an ECNL team currently, and 8 of 9 are now at Surf. Goes to show how significant that little team was back then.
That is a large haul and some mighty talent from one team. It's usually how champion teams are formed. Poach or in some cases buy the top teams best players and then make a combo team and soon National Champion. I do remember the SDSC players. That team was a tough out with Ulittles when my dd team played them in State Cup.

The same thing that usually happens at Eagles? Great u-little players disperse to other clubs around SoCal as they get older. No clue why it happens, but it seems to. I ran into an old Eagles dad I sort of knew at a Slammers Koge game not long ago, for example.
Eagles was #1 back in 2014 Ulittles. Crazy Ray was a legend. They were underfeated 26-0 and wanted a test. Legends put a combo team together and we beat them. They should stay good but they lose their top players all the time.

The same thing that usually happens at Eagles? Great u-little players disperse to other clubs around SoCal as they get older. No clue why it happens, but it seems to. I ran into an old Eagles dad I sort of knew at a Slammers Koge game not long ago, for example.
Was interested in having my daughter join this team for the start of 24-25. Saw them play this past weekend and it was not the same team.
Injuries?
Players Left?
Coaching Change?

That is a large haul and some mighty talent from one team. It's usually how champion teams are formed. Poach or in some cases buy the top teams best players and then make a combo team and soon National Champion. I do remember the SDSC players. That team was a tough out with Ulittles when my dd team played them in State Cup.
Just like how if the 2010 blues team would have stuck together and not been split between the slammers and blues current 2010 teams I’m pretty sure that blues team would still be dominating the surf team today like they did the sdsc team back in the day.

Just like how if the 2010 blues team would have stuck together and not been split between the slammers and blues current 2010 teams I’m pretty sure that blues team would still be dominating the surf team today like they did the sdsc team back in the day.
What money can buy in youth soccer. My dd old Blues team won State Cup. Next year US Soccer and GDA mandated we change to Calendar year. Many 04s were let loose so to speak and Surf snatched 5 top Blues 04 players. Blues beat them every time and Surf wanted that #10 Natty. If Blues took Surf's top 5 04s, then the blues would have won a natty. I got blamed and mocked on here by some dude named Fact and a few others. They accused me of poaching the blues players and forming a National Champion type of team. It was complete hogwash bro. It seems it's very hard to keep a top team together. Bakers will be the last. Coach Tad coach 7 teams for 6 years for a total of 42 years. He would take the from U11 until U18. A true class act. He cut a few every year but that's life. Most of players would stay together, travel together, eat together and play champion soccer together. They would be so close when a player from his 7 teams would get married, they all went. Them days are over.

What money can buy in youth soccer. My dd old Blues team won State Cup. Next year US Soccer and GDA mandated we change to Calendar year. Many 04s were let loose so to speak and Surf snatched 5 top Blues 04 players. Blues beat them every time and Surf wanted that #10 Natty. If Blues took Surf's top 5 04s, then the blues would have won a natty. I got blamed and mocked on here by some dude named Fact and a few others. They accused me of poaching the blues players and forming a National Champion type of team. It was complete hogwash bro. It seems it's very hard to keep a top team together. Bakers will be the last. Coach Tad coach 7 teams for 6 years for a total of 42 years. He would take the from U11 until U18. A true class act. He cut a few every year but that's life. Most of players would stay together, travel together, eat together and play champion soccer together. They would be so close when a player from his 7 teams would get married, they all went. Them days are over.
That’s a definite fact. Not with parents now. It’s just one massive competition.

Last edited:
Was interested in having my daughter join this team for the start of 24-25. Saw them play this past weekend and it was not the same team.
Injuries?
Players Left?
Coaching Change?
Sure sounds like they could use your daughter and others since they appear to have a smaller sized roster. Curious though, if you saw them play and are asking if there was a coaching change, was it a different coach?

Back