Girls Development Academy

MAP, I have no "anti-Surf" agenda. I am not in favor of monopolies however. The problem with one club controlling an area with a population as large as San Diego's is that if there are coaching problems with a team, there are no nearby alternatives. In any age group, there are more than one teams worth of elite level players in San Diego county. The club with the monopoly also has less incentive to treat players well. Like ALL clubs, Surf has had issues with coaches and some teams/age groups were more effected than others. While Surf is currently the strongest club overall, at some age groups other clubs have stronger teams. LAGSD is the largest club in San Diego county. Does it really make sense to exclude them from elite level play?. Albion serves south San Diego better than either and with that being a prime growth area for young player, it also does not make sense to ignore. Even though it shares many of the same problems as ECNL, GDA is going to happen. GDA will have its problems, but I think for elite players in SoCal, it will be the best alternative in the near future. With only one more year of club soccer, it doesn't matter much anymore to us. Besides, if I were the ruler ECNL, GDA and DA would all be one big organization where the right group of players with an inspired coach could build a team to take on the world. Oh, and none of that would start until about U15. Youngers don't need to travel that far.

Residential academies are not a bad idea, but I think regional may be better. If SoCal had a regional residential academy, I bet it could turn out teams superior to the current youth "National Teams". Team work matters.

As I have said time and time again, I have nothing against GDA YET. It's not a make or break for me. However, it sounds like it's something you've been begging for and you are finally in a position to get a patch of some sort . Most of the country will be underserved. That's a fact. No need to go back and forth. The map you provided earlier displayed the limited areas to which the GDA will cover. Also, thanks for the math lesson, BUT I am actually quite good at converting fractions; you however have already proven my point just by displaying
http://www.ussoccerda.com/girls-academy-club-directory.

Enjoy the GDA patch...it's obvious you need it for validation.

Never said you had anything against GDA...I said you were attempting to promote ECNL. Rather than admit when you are wrong, you lash out at me. Sadly, you still have not learned...
Most of the country will be underserved. That's a fact. No need to go back and forth. The map you provided earlier displayed the limited areas to which the GDA will cover.

Most of the country will be served by GDA. Approaching 90%. It's not about land mass. It's about population density. Get it? Land mass does not participate in the sport...humans do. So I'm not sure why you keep saying GDA will be underserving the country.

As for my player's situation, who knows if she will even be offered a spot on an Academy team? Not sure if she is good enough. And if she is offered a spot, who knows if she will take it? She only has 1 year left, and she may want to play out her high school career. It is her call. Not mine. She has never chased a patch..quite the opposite.

Last edited:
... with the residential component the boy's side hasn't produced positive results on the world stage that ECNL has produced on the girl's side.

You mean like the U20s beating Mexico 2-1 while being thoroughly outshot and thoroughly outplayed with superstar Pugh on the field?

I'd like to know what you consider as "positive results on the world stage" because that's the biggest gripe against ECNL.

You mean like the U20s beating Mexico 2-1 while being thoroughly outshot and thoroughly outplayed with superstar Pugh on the field?

I'd like to know what you consider as "positive results on the world stage" because that's the biggest gripe against ECNL.
I disagree, it's rather silly to blame the U20s failure on ECNL. I'm sure you are aware most of the U20s rostered players were college players. Then shouldn't you be blaming D1 college soccer? I don't, because Michelle French had a lot of time preparing this team. She made ALL of the players redshirt this college season, except Ashley who is still in HS. I blame the failure on the YNT coaches style of play and tactics, not the players.

In case you overlooked it. Several of those U20 Mexican players played ECNL.

I disagree, it's rather silly to blame the U20s failure on ECNL. I'm sure you are aware most of the U20s rostered players are college players. Then shouldn't you be blaming D1 college soccer? I don't, because Michelle French had a lot of time preparing this team. She even made the players redshirt this college season. I blame the failure on the YNT coaches style of play and tactics.

In case you overlooked it. Several of those U20 Mexican players played ECNL.

There are many failures for many reasons (U17 as well as U20) and not many successes like Shales claims.

There are many failures for many reasons (U17 as well as U20) and not many successes like Shales claims.
Like I posted blame YNT coaches. In this case blame BJ Snow's style of play and tactics. He left off Taryn Torres (UVA commit) who was probably his most skillful player and pulled the strings during the 2 year undefeated run-up to the U17 World Cup. Then when the games got tough reverted to defend and counter kick and run....same style as Michelle French.

Like all PRO sports. If the team doesn't win you fire the coach, yet US soccer doesn't fire their YNT coaches. Go figure!

So now you are blaming the league? What about the coaches that select the teams? The U17 and U20 teams were not all of the best players. Why else would they have high school aged kids on the team? US Soccer f****d up and now we give them more control? That's giving the inmates not only the keys to the asylum but letting them run the whole damn healthcare system.

Like I posted blame YNT coaches. In this case blame BJ Snow's style of play and tactics. He left off Taryn Torres (UVA commit) who was probably his most skillful player and pulled the strings during the 2 year undefeated run-up to the U17 World Cup. Then when the games got tough reverted to defend and counter kick and run....same style as Michelle French.

Like all PRO sports. If the team doesn't win you fire the coach, yet US soccer doesn't fire their YNT coaches. Go figure!

Bingo. It's the coaching and roster selection not the players.

So now you are blaming the league? What about the coaches that select the teams? The U17 and U20 teams were not all of the best players. Why else would they have high school aged kids on the team? US Soccer f****d up and now we give them more control? That's giving the inmates not only the keys to the asylum but letting them run the whole damn healthcare system.

You make my point: not many successes on the world stage.

MAP, I have no "anti-Surf" agenda. I am not in favor of monopolies however. The problem with one club controlling an area with a population as large as San Diego's is that if there are coaching problems with a team, there are no nearby alternatives. In any age group, there are more than one teams worth of elite level players in San Diego county. The club with the monopoly also has less incentive to treat players well. Like ALL clubs, Surf has had issues with coaches and some teams/age groups were more effected than others. While Surf is currently the strongest club overall, at some age groups other clubs have stronger teams. LAGSD is the largest club in San Diego county. Does it really make sense to exclude them from elite level play?. Albion serves south San Diego better than either and with that being a prime growth area for young player, it also does not make sense to ignore. Even though it shares many of the same problems as ECNL, GDA is going to happen. GDA will have its problems, but I think for elite players in SoCal, it will be the best alternative in the near future. With only one more year of club soccer, it doesn't matter much anymore to us. Besides, if I were the ruler ECNL, GDA and DA would all be one big organization where the right group of players with an inspired coach could build a team to take on the world. Oh, and none of that would start until about U15. Youngers don't need to travel that far.

Residential academies are not a bad idea, but I think regional may be better. If SoCal had a regional residential academy, I bet it could turn out teams superior to the current youth "National Teams". Team work matters.

Again you make some very valid points. I really like the regional academy idea a lot. I am not really that experienced with Albion. They have decent teams but the only elite team I ever remember them having was the team that Noah Kooiman brought over from Arsenal (they were the first U14 ECNL national champs). They fell off as several of their best players (Leah Pruitt, Julia Bingham, Marissa Everett, Ayana Robles) left for ECNL clubs that were closer once he took the team down south. That was a real shame.

I agree that teamwork matters. Maybe the problem is that there really should be separate competitive tracks for the truly elite players and the really good players. GDA is going to have a bunch of really good players. Even in SoCal only a handful per age group are truly elite and that is just the truth. Just look at the 2016 graduating class. Lots of players went on to have good first years of college but less than a dozen had a significant impact on the national scale and even fewer are still in the YNT pipeline. GDA isn't going to solve this issue in SoCal. With so many choices the teams are only going to be weaker than the top ECNL teams are now.

No worries. As you said, your player only has one season left and mine isn't a youth player any longer. Good luck to you and yours.

You make my point: not many successes on the world stage.

Our full national team has done fine and our U20 team along with Germany and North Korea are the most successful programs in the world. We did make it to the final 4 with horrible tactics and questionable player selection. You sound like an Alabama fan. Just because you didn't win it all doesn't mean that there weren't any successes.

Our full national team has done fine and our U20 team along with Germany and North Korea are the most successful programs in the world. We did make it to the final 4 with horrible tactics and questionable player selection. You sound like an Alabama fan. Just because you didn't win it all doesn't mean that there weren't any successes.

You're going off tangents. ECNL=not many successes on the world stage as was claimed by the earlier poster. For many reasons I'm sure we can point those out.

U20 program overall success and full team success not much to do with last 7 years of ECNL influence.

You're going off tangents. ECNL=not many successes on the world stage as was claimed by the earlier poster. For many reasons I'm sure we can point those out.

U20 program overall success and full team success not much to do with last 7 years of ECNL influence.

I get it you are a Legends homer but that doesn't make your point valid. The ECNL is made up of clubs that had success in producing not only USYS championships but college and national team players. Or to put it very slowly for you those players that were on the many successful U20(U19) WNT's and the full WNT played mostly for ECNL clubs. Please look this stuff up so you don't sound silly to those that actually do the research.

Now here is a tangent. How are your Trojan's looking?

because the ECNL picked its membership based primarily upon a club's history of winning USYS championships and producing college and national team players.

MAP: based on the statement you made above, how do you explain Strikers OC being a part of ECNL? To the best of my knowledge, they don't have a strong history of success or USWNT players.

I am not trying to pick a fight, just asking for edification purposes.

MAP: based on the statement you made above, how do you explain Strikers OC being a part of ECNL? To the best of my knowledge, they don't have a strong history of success or USWNT players.

I am not trying to pick a fight, just asking for edification purposes.

Irvine Strikers does have one USYS national championship in 2006. Striker's OC is a spinoff. If any club got screwed out of ECNL membership it was Laguna Hills Eclipse (they have 2 USYS championships prior to ECNL). Here is a useful link that is pretty self explanatory.

http://www.calsouth.com/es/youth-champ-archive/usyouthsoccer-nationals/

Does Southern Section still have that 5-player rule?

I don't think so but I can't confirm that. Nowadays with how spread out players are you would be hard pressed to get 5 elite players on a team from 4 graduating years let alone from one graduating class or team.

Back