G2010 - How’s the 2022 season going?

Totally agree that ECNL and GA have similar schedules.

They also had similar attendance patterns at Surf Cup: heavily socal. Probably for the same reasons.

A shame the leagues are split. City and Fram both put up some good numbers the last two days.
City lost to HBK 2-0. No shame in that. Did anyone have eyes on that game with thoughts about it?
I saw FRAM lose 2-1 to Beach yesterday and from what I saw, that game could have gone the other way.

‘Turnover’ is the word of the day…
Ohh yea I saw the roster and it seems like more than 1/2 the old players are gone with new additions being added this season. So I can totally understand why this new team may be shaky. They lost #18 and #5 which was the heart of the midfield last season. Possibly 2 of the best mids in the age group are now playing elsewhere. I remember you mentioning one of those players was the straw that stirred the cup and she is no longer there.

@CharlieMurfee I mention the midfield because defensively they do not look too bad based on scores. But where is the offense on your team. For me that’s a problem in the midfield not being able to create opportunities for the forwards. All the starting forwards were there with the exception of 1 that left but she came off the bench. So it must be a midfield problem. You guys did not give up many goals either even though I just found out one of the cb is hurt. But you are not creating the offense like the old top 5 ranked team was vs teams that are not even ranked top 10.

GA got hammered by ECNL in Surf Cup Olders when placed in Best of Best bracket. Youngers it's a little closer which is good to see.

GA got hammered by ECNL in Surf Cup Olders when placed in Best of Best bracket. Youngers it's a little closer which is good to see.
That sounds reasonable.

When DA blew up the olders scattered + went to ECNL clubs because they didn't know if GA would be viable.

Now a new crop of players are involved + GA has proven itself viable + for the most part is a mirror of how ECNL is setup.

Having 2 top leagues while annoying will create better players and better leagues as they compete against each other for XYZ.

Also, FRAM tieing Surf 1-1 was awesome. Surf thought they could stack the deck in their favor for the Semis + almost got burned. FRAM is a very good team, + they never give up.

Congratulations to HBK for the Surf Cup win. Got to watch the game with my dd. (Wish it could have been on the other sideline.) HBK is dangerous. Solid defense and a great midfield. Definitely a fun weekend of soccer for all 2010’s that participated. Hopefully the two GA teams opened some eyes!

@Carlsbad7, I think you are right, after the DA blow up girls went to the next best thing, ECNL. Definitely don’t blame them, but there is quality in the younger age groups of GA. Just hope it continues!

Best of luck for those of you playing Labor Day. We hope to be on the beach catching some R&R before the season. 2023-2024 will be fun!

Not really hiding. There is just a lot to do this summer, and you can’t do everything.

The top ECNL teams just had a Phoenix showcase in April, Man City/Cerritos in May, playoffs in June, and nationals in July. A few teams are also sending a player to Conference Cup tomorrow, and might not want the kid to get injured by playing ten games in six days.

At some point, you give the players a rest and look forward to the next season.

What’s the reason for Eagles not going? They didn’t go to Virginia and had no matches in July. They’ve attended surf cup every summer for the past 5 years? Didn’t make sense for them to not go.

I understand MVLA, Surf, Blues, Koge not going because they made a deep playoff run, but Blues, Surf and Koge were there.

Has to be said Surf looked very ordinary all weekend. Yes, they’ve had some changes but more departures than anything else after having a heavy roster in the spring. So you can’t blame it on chemistry or the preseason, and they’ve been playing all summer, are they fatigued? Or are they just 13 and there is much more to come

Has to be said Surf looked very ordinary all weekend. Yes, they’ve had some changes but more departures than anything else after having a heavy roster in the spring. So you can’t blame it on chemistry or the preseason, and they’ve been playing all summer, are they fatigued? Or are they just 13 and there is much more to come

CB departing for wave seems like a reasonable place to start.

Ha! CB = Coach not position! I initially thought centerback too.
But on the subject, are people liking the new coach?
Maybe take Surf Cup with a grain of salt: lot of experimenting, lot of players sitting out to rest and recover, lot of guesting/trying out….

We may need @Surfer_dad to chime in here to let us know if the grass is truly greener at HBK and if Surf is taking a significant hit and bleeding talent because of coaching changes and/or bloated rosters....

We may need @Surfer_dad to chime in here to let us know if the grass is truly greener at HBK and if Surf is taking a significant hit and bleeding talent because of coaching changes and/or bloated rosters....
It’s my understanding that the players who left Surf were not starters or starting. 2 went Koge, 1 to Sharks and 1 to Blues. Grass is greener, Koge just won best of the best. Word has it that if you aren’t a starter, Deza doesn’t give you the time of day.

I probably could give some insight about Surf. I did that awhile ago after the ECNL championships. It is playing out (unfortunately for Surf) consistent with my comments. That doesn’t mean it will continue that way, as there aren’t any certainties, only probabilities. Let me just say for now that the Surf ‘10’s were an incredible team with great chemistry under Craig. The day Deza came in, he changed all that. That was in March of this year. He brought in 5 new players, none of which helped the team, sat three starters that were all essentual to the teams success, and the team has been underperforming since. Having team chemistry and then losing it, you rarely get it back because the cause of the loss is still there. The comment about Deza was spot on. He is not liked by parents because the players and parents want to win more than he does. And, the comment about treating the subs like dirt is spot on (no pun intended). Historically, his teams in the north always needed borrowed players for tournaments because the bench always went somewhere else.

Watch now what happens to their games when the starters tire. I think the Surf team may be following in the Blues pattern. Great team, loses team chemistry and then all at once it comes apart. Again, there are no certainties and my heart is with surf. I think the only change that changes the situation is at the top of this team.

It’s my understanding that the players who left Surf were not starters or starting. 2 went Koge, 1 to Sharks and 1 to Blues. Grass is greener, Koge just won best of the best. Word has it that if you aren’t a starter, Deza doesn’t give you the time of day.
True statement, they WERE starters, then they weren’t under Deza. So far, I see Koge with great team Chemistry, a great defense, a great midfield and the ability to score from all over the field. Add Mac and as long as team chemistry doesn’t change, I see the best team I have ever seen at this age group and they continue to get better. By the way, the bench often wins championships. The US National team didn’t use their bench well and we are out of the World Cup.

Back