FIFA game clock?

I remember a Surf Cup several years ago when my kid discovered how to waste time in the extreme.

For whatever reason Surf Cup only provided 1 ball per field. At the end of the last game before the finals we were up by 1 goal + the clock was ticking. The team we were playing against had really good forwards but their mids weren't very good + couldn't get the ball up to them.

My kid noticed that there was only 1 ball + if there was a shot off frame the goalie would need to chase to bring the ball back into play. She would wait for the goalie to pass to the mids then steal it from them + boot it high and completely wide. At first I didnt understand what was going on but after it happened 3x I knew what she was doing. The other teams parents didnt catch on to what's happening until the 5-6th time but by then the game was over + we won.

Kind of a lame way to win but you work with what's available + make things happen. I was impressed that she figured out how to win that day.

All that being said professional time wasting is annoying + I'm with FIFA on this one

I remember a Surf Cup several years ago when my kid discovered how to waste time in the extreme.

For whatever reason Surf Cup only provided 1 ball per field. At the end of the last game before the finals we were up by 1 goal + the clock was ticking. The team we were playing against had really good forwards but their mids weren't very good + couldn't get the ball up to them.

My kid noticed that there was only 1 ball + if there was a shot off frame the goalie would need to chase to bring the ball back into play. She would wait for the goalie to pass to the mids then steal it from them + boot it high and completely wide. At first I didnt understand what was going on but after it happened 3x I knew what she was doing. The other teams parents didnt catch on to what's happening until the 5-6th time but by then the game was over + we won.

Kind of a lame way to win but you work with what's available + make things happen. I was impressed that she figured out how to win that day.

All that being said professional time wasting is annoying + I'm with FIFA on this one
In a professional game there are plenty of balls available so I don't think that balls off the pitch will matter much. My preference would be for stopping the clock during the inevitable celebratory delay after scoring a goal, while players are being cited by the referee, and during injury assessment and treatment. Also possible would be a stoppage during the PK ritual.

My kid noticed that there was only 1 ball + if there was a shot off frame the goalie would need to chase to bring the ball back into play. She would wait for the goalie to pass to the mids then steal it from them + boot it high and completely wide.
Why wouldn't she just shoot it on frame?

Back