Confused on Tournament Rankings

We're a tier one boys' team that's been placed in a tournament bracket with an NPL team, an EA team and an MLS Next team. Our manager questioned it (we weren't looking to be cannon fodder), and the tournament said it uses the Got Soccer Rankings to arrange the brackets, which has us (surprisingly) ranked as the 2nd best team after the MLS Next team. But when I check the Soccer Rankings app (which I found via this forum, thank you), we're the 4th best team by a fair margin, which would seem to correlate more with the various leagues represented.

Interestingly, after we questioned the brackets, the MLS Next team changed name to remove the MLS Next part on the tournament schedule, but it also renamed on the Soccer Rankings app. When I look at that team on the app, they're logging both MLS Next and NPL results for that one team, so who knows who well be facing.

Anyway, it's taken me years to get a handle on the all the different leagues, so now I'm curious as to how the rankings tie into all that league craziness.

Anyone using GotSoccer rankings to bracket tournaments drives with their right-blinker on permanently while swerving back and forth touching the lane lines.

If you have a problem with the brackets, it was good of the mgr to question the tournament director and either ask for some justification or have teams more fairly bracketed. We've had very good luck pointing out the obvious, and have had teams that shouldn't be there moved appropriately, whether it is us or them.

From your description it does sounds like the MLS team in SR is some glomming together of multiple teams, so it is certainly possible that some portion of 1 or both teams would show up, or perhaps it is the same team. If that team shows in SR as playing on the same days, I'd probably do some research and if confirmed, separate them myself - prior to another call with the TD.

Teams using different names can be added to one team in Soccer Rankings by editing within the app. It takes a little knowledge, and if someone is caught misusing it, i think their editing abilities can be turned off. That is the great thing with it being on an app, the developer can see who makes edits.

It doesn't sound like your team was massively misplaced though if you are saying you are 4th instead of 2nd. Did you mean Nationally? In CA?

I read it as the TD thinks all is well since they are 2nd of 4 in bracket according to GotSoccer, but according to reality they are a distant 4th of 4 in bracket.

Interestingly, after we questioned the brackets, the MLS Next team changed name to remove the MLS Next part on the tournament schedule, but it also renamed on the Soccer Rankings app.

BTW - wanted to address this. SR takes the team name from the latest game data that is loaded for the team, whether tournament or league. Generally, it can't be edited directly by anyone. It is odd that the name switched due to a change on a future tournament, as that data hasn't been loaded yet. It's more likely that there has been some cleanup by someone on the SR app to put like team data together, and pull some apart, so the team names are more accurate (hopefully they are more accurate), and then the entered team on the tournament was also edited as such. Some tournament software just pulls the team name directly from GotSport via the team ID, other software it's just a text field that someone can enter whatever they want as a team name, and edit however they want.

Yeah, 4th in bracket, not 4th nationally :)
What does it mean to be ranked in a bracket? How does one see that? For the Surf College Cup, there were multiple brackets for each age group, with 8 teams in a bracket. Being in the 4th bracket from the top showed you were likely ranked lower. Brackets were named: Best of the Best, Trestles, Blacks Beach, Windansea, etc. I didn't see any ranking within a bracket...

What does it mean to be ranked in a bracket? How does one see that? For the Surf College Cup, there were multiple brackets for each age group, with 8 teams in a bracket.

We’re not in the Surf College Cup, but we’re in the top bracket of 3 in our tournament and when our manager questioned it (the one team was listed as MLS Next at that point) the tournament organizer showed him the Got Soccer rankings, so I’m guessing they used those for all the brackets. There’s an ECRL team in the bracket “below” us.

What does it mean to be ranked in a bracket? How does one see that? For the Surf College Cup, there were multiple brackets for each age group, with 8 teams in a bracket. Being in the 4th bracket from the top showed you were likely ranked lower. Brackets were named: Best of the Best, Trestles, Blacks Beach, Windansea, etc. I didn't see any ranking within a bracket...

No way to see it directly, but it only takes moments to create a spreadsheet and paste in the teams in the bracket along with their SR ratings. Here's an example for the top bracket of Surf College Cup 2011G:

surf cup 2011G.png

Having it automated either from the tournament site, the SR site, or some combination of the two would certainly make it easier - but it isn't particularly challenging now.

Well, we lost to the NPL team 5-1 in our first game, tied 1-1 with the EA team and only went and beat the MLS Next team 1-0 with our only shot on target and some inspired backs to the wall defending. We lost out on going to the final on goal difference (that rusty first game killed us), but we got the better of the rankings and grabbed an MLS Next scalp on the way.

Back