Club soccer stuff that drive you nuts...

Why do you think the problem is limited to keepers? Coming from an American Football (AF) background, I think clubs and colleges (maybe pros too) are understaffed because a head coach is trying to monitor and teach approximately 20 or more players in different positions simultaneously. In AF, practice is often broken down into positions with position specific coaches; offensive line, running backs, wide receivers, DB’s etc.

When I look at college rosters they look understaffed and I don’t see position specific coaches either!

Can someone please explain why soccer teams don’t have position specific coaches?
Your observation that they are understaffed is totally accurate. Grace is right that the budget is the big difference. Even at high level colleges with "elite" soccer programs, the attention paid to GK's is laughable compared to American Football as you described. I think it's partly a thing with soccer culture as well that will eventually evolve. The European pro leagues took a long time coming around to recognizing the importance of specialized, position specific training for keepers, and it's starting to trickle down to youth soccer. My DD's college coach who has been at the college level for more than a decade, just now implemented a separate fitness test for GK's for the first time ever, which is something I've been soapboxing about ever since my kid started playing keeper. Why coaches make GK's do long distance running and 800's to the same standard as a field player never made a damn bit of sense to me. I can't believe more programs don't do the same.

Some kids deserved it?
If you yell at kids because they deserve it, don’t turn around and complain that they didn’t show up to be yelled at the next day.

What did you think would happen? If you make people feel miserable, they’ll find better things to do with their time.

Why do you think the problem is limited to keepers? Coming from an American Football (AF) background, I think clubs and colleges (maybe pros too) are understaffed because a head coach is trying to monitor and teach approximately 20 or more players in different positions simultaneously. In AF, practice is often broken down into positions with position specific coaches; offensive line, running backs, wide receivers, DB’s etc.

When I look at college rosters they look understaffed and I don’t see position specific coaches either!

Can someone please explain why soccer teams don’t have position specific coaches?
I dont know the details of how American Football coaches are paid at the HS level- I "think" that a lot of the position coaches are paid very minimally.
The reason you dont see many club soccer teams with more than 1 coach is because that head coach is not willing to give up any of the money that they make. And the clubs can't charge enough to pay for more than 1 coach (heck - most coaches are coaching 3-4 teams).

If you yell at kids because they deserve it, don’t turn around and complain that they didn’t show up to be yelled at the next day.

What did you think would happen? If you make people feel miserable, they’ll find better things to do with their time.
If a kid continues to screw up after repeated warning not to do it, I don't have a problem with the coach raising his voice.

If a kid continues to screw up after repeated warning not to do it, I don't have a problem with the coach raising his voice.

Guess it depends on what prompted the yelling or what you consider to be "screwing up". Is it goofing off or other behavior making it difficult for the coach to get their job done? That can be understandable, to a point.

Is it that the kid keeps missing a read, is out of position or taking bad touches? That's a different animal altogether. Now you're into teaching/learning and I've never seen a kid learn more by yelling at them, but I have seen them get upset, frustrated and want to quit whatever the activity is.

Also depends on what the content is of the yelling... "Push up!" or "open up!" are a lot different than "are you stupid?" or "what's wrong with you?"
If a kid or parent wants some time to consider whether they want to play for a coach who says/yells stuff like that, it's all good by me.

A new item that drives me nuts came up a few weeks ago: At a tournament, when the 2nd place parents (I won't say team since the kids do not normally have a say) don't have good sportsmanship to come together after the game during the medal ceremony.
We were all looking around and saw the parents about 40 feet away ignoring us while the kids were looking over. We waved them over and the parents declined while the kids started to walk over, and were stopped by the parents. Classless and teaches your kids the same.

I dont know the details of how American Football coaches are paid at the HS level- I "think" that a lot of the position coaches are paid very minimally.
The reason you dont see many club soccer teams with more than 1 coach is because that head coach is not willing to give up any of the money that they make. And the clubs can't charge enough to pay for more than 1 coach (heck - most coaches are coaching 3-4 teams).
This could be true but you need to look at this from two view points
Professional MLS clubs have 5 coaches on the field, coaching paid for by academy.
Smaller local clubs have one coach , lets say two max (assistant or older kid helping)
Smaller local club charges 3k per kid, meaning 54k a year from that team with 18 rostered
Obviously field rent take alot of that , but its not uncommon for a coach to be paid 11-1400 per team a month at club level.
so a coach can make 4k a month with 4 teams, is that far off from the truth????

This could be true but you need to look at this from two view points
Professional MLS clubs have 5 coaches on the field, coaching paid for by academy.
Smaller local clubs have one coach , lets say two max (assistant or older kid helping)
Smaller local club charges 3k per kid, meaning 54k a year from that team with 18 rostered
Obviously field rent take alot of that , but its not uncommon for a coach to be paid 11-1400 per team a month at club level.
so a coach can make 4k a month with 4 teams, is that far off from the truth????
I would run away from any coach who had 4 teams.

A new item that drives me nuts came up a few weeks ago: At a tournament, when the 2nd place parents (I won't say team since the kids do not normally have a say) don't have good sportsmanship to come together after the game during the medal ceremony.
We were all looking around and saw the parents about 40 feet away ignoring us while the kids were looking over. We waved them over and the parents declined while the kids started to walk over, and were stopped by the parents. Classless and teaches your kids the same.

Do we really need a second place medal ceremony past U9?

But.....

Yes, its 2022 and its always snowing these days so it wouldn't surprise me if professional sports started to adopt a second place trophy ceremony and city parade

Do we really need a second place medal ceremony past U9?

But.....

Yes, its 2022 and its always snowing these days so it wouldn't surprise me if professional sports started to adopt a second place trophy ceremony and city parade
Some adult championships have 3rd place playoffs. I don't know if the 4th-place team gets anything.

I'm going to make a wild guess here. Was the team any of the Slammers?

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this discussion and while I definitely don't like screamers/yellers as a general rule, I thought back to some of my daughter's best coaches and recognized that they definitely yelled from time to time. But, I realized that it's the content of the communication, not the volume of it that really matters. A coach can whisper sh*tty things to a player and it could be abusive. My DD had one coach who was yelling so much (in Spanish) at other players in her first practice that she almost walked off the field, she was so intimidated. However, that guy turned out to be the most caring, supportive, and long lasting coaching relationship of her youth career. He yelled, but he never yelled demeaning things. He would also make sure to yell his praise even louder than his displeasure, and always ended practice by shaking hands of every single player and thanking them for coming. He could yell and be loud, but he was never disrespectful, just intense and passionate.

I once heard an interview with Tony Dungy where he talked about how counterproductive yelling is as a teaching and motivational technique. I do think it can be useful for good coaches who care and are able to demonstrate that care, but if you have coaches who yell AND don't give a sh*t about how their players feel, that's a baaaad combo.

Back