Climate and Weather

Good opportunity for you to tell us about your past hotel management experience.

In the hotel where I worked, the manager would be pleased that his fixed costs were being divided among more customers, leading to higher profits per room for as long as the situation lasted, as well as the overall higher profits from the volume.

I apologize if that is too much math for you.

What real Americans do in a disaster, as reported in the Press-Enterprise --

At least 60 Blue Cut fire evacuees slept on cots and rollaway beds in the Courtyard Marriott Hesperia ballroom and on couches in the lobby at no charge the first night after the blaze broke out, General Manager Amy Batista said.

“We were sold out. We couldn’t turn them away. It was quite tragic,” Batista said.
When we were evacuated in 2007 (from 2 neighborhoods!!) we spent the night on a cot (for free) in Qualcomm stadium and were treated to (free) breakfast the next morning, courtesy of businesses that sent food and supplies in by the truckload without thought of taking advantage of people already stressed by the situation. Before we got up from our cots in the morning, our family group received a dozen box of Krispy Kreme donuts from one of their employees who was just walking around handing them out.

Last edited:
In the hotel where I worked, the manager would be pleased that his fixed costs were being divided among more customers, leading to higher profits per room for as long as the situation lasted, as well as the overall higher profits from the volume.

oh, you did the math?

What about variable cost? Hope that is not too much math for you?

What about variable cost? Hope that is not too much math for you?

The increased variable costs I can identify easily without looking at any particular hotel would be utilities (lights, ac, water), linens, possible overtime to the cleaning staff, and the cost of the free breakfast buffet if they offer one. If they are making profit on normal days, they will be making more profit when fully booked.

Weather was pleasant today near the coast. Come to think of it, its almost always pleasant near the coast.
I think Ill take a nap in the back yard,....again.

The increased variable costs I can identify easily without looking at any particular hotel would be utilities (lights, ac, water), linens, possible overtime to the cleaning staff, and the cost of the free breakfast buffet if they offer one. If they are making profit on normal days, they will be making more profit when fully booked.
That's a big if. Especially "if" you haven't determined what a "normal" day is.

What hotel did you work at?

What were the fixed cost?

would be pleased that his fixed costs were being divided among more customers, leading to higher profits per room for as long as the situation lasted, as well as the overall higher profits from the volume.
What about competition from Air BNB?

What real Americans do in a disaster, as reported in the Press-Enterprise --

At least 60 Blue Cut fire evacuees slept on cots and rollaway beds in the Courtyard Marriott Hesperia ballroom and on couches in the lobby at no charge the first night after the blaze broke out, General Manager Amy Batista said.

“We were sold out. We couldn’t turn them away. It was quite tragic,” Batista said.
When we were evacuated in 2007 (from 2 neighborhoods!!) we spent the night on a cot (for free) in Qualcomm stadium and were treated to (free) breakfast the next morning, courtesy of businesses that sent food and supplies in by the truckload without thought of taking advantage of people already stressed by the situation. Before we got up from our cots in the morning, our family group received a dozen box of Krispy Kreme donuts from one of their employees who was just walking around handing them out.
krispy kreme? You call that a breakfast? More like taking the opportunity to increase the diabetes rate of Americans beyond 35%!! And we wonder why healthcare is so expensive.

Gruber apologized for calling Americans stupid too.

krispy kreme? You call that a breakfast? More like taking the opportunity to increase the diabetes rate of Americans beyond 35%!! And we wonder why healthcare is so expensive.

No, I called the granola bars, orange juice and bananas breakfast. The Krispy Kremes were a nice gesture. We shared them with other evacuees waking up around us. They appreciated the gesture also.

Back