CaptainU ? Anyone?

D3's are wildly under-rated......MIT/NYU/Chicago/Johns Hopkins/Carnegie/Pomona-Pitzer/Cal-Tech (2017 inaugural season) and many many more. Ya don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out which student-athlete will have the competitive advantage when life gets real.

Lets see, your kid's internship/job interviews will probably go something like this:

Candidate A) "So....I see that you play(ed) D1 soccer at YouNameIt-Butt-knuckle State."
OR
Candidate B) "Welcome to the team"

Congrats to you/your DD BCdad - Congrats!!!
But those parents DD's got a full ride at D1 YouNameIt-Butt-knuckle State.

A parent told me I don't care what college she goes to, but it had to he a full ride and his wish came true.

Not when she went to USD in the mid-2000

The tennis team was DI in 2000 when Zuzana Lesenarova won the NCAA women's tennis singles championship over Stanford's Marissa Irvin.

The men's soccer team was Finalist in the 1992 NCAA DI College Cup, losing to Virginia.

USD joined WCC in 1979 - all WCC sports are DI.

What kind of a "generous offer" could she get from a D3 school?
My DD was recruited by 2 D3 schools via Cap U. They viewed her profile and probably noted her 4+ GPA. They sent her a generic message that led to phone calls and they eventually watched her play that led to school visits.

The site does work, but mostly as a starting point to get a player's foot in the door. The rest is up to the player.

DD was never on Captain U, but she continues to get emails from them say things like "D1 Soccer Coach researched you up on Captain U. Click here to see who." When you follow the link, it just takes you to a place to set up an account. Felt very scam like.

DD was never on Captain U, but she continues to get emails from them say things like "D1 Soccer Coach researched you up on Captain U. Click here to see who." When you follow the link, it just takes you to a place to set up an account. Felt very scam like.
Yeah that was my initial reaction, too. Which is why I made this post. But from the responses of other posters, there is apparently legitimate use for it. Whether or not it is worth the membership cost is something I haven't decided yet.

How I went about the process was by contacting the coaches, sending them a highlight video, having a 3.0 or above GPA, and I had to meet one of the coaches to do a little tryout. I played D2 and NAIA. It is different for every school for example some coaches would want you to visit campus and/or attend one of their camps. I went about it going straight to the Juggernaut that is contacting the coach directly. Don't do none of the build a profile and you will get noticed but first you have to pay. I remember being charged $1500 (which is a lot for me) just to send a highlight video to coaches. I ended up doing it mostly myself.
Hope this helps!

@Mystery Train "I have gleaned from prior discussions that the bulk of the work to get recruited falls on the player and parents ...."

100% correct. Plus head coach for contact for D1 and D2 "info exchange / contact /updates.

@Marco's experience is spot on with regard to initiating contact if there are a few schools your DD is interested in.

A year or so ago, ECNL had a "partnership(??)" with ScoutingZone and we took advantage of it. It was free and was a quick set-up. Player image, highlight video (George Langevin is excellent to work with BTW), pertinent stats including GPA, beep test, etc. We contacted coaches (for camp info as the primer and a few already had her on scouting reports) then, if they seemed interested then we would send ScoutingZone link for their review. We also included her next tournament schedule. Then we would follow up with voicemail (to top college choices) amd reminder email just prior to tournament so that they would slot her for scouting. Our head coach was always in the loop for follow up support. Dont get discouraged because it is a time consuming process and great programs / recruiters will want to see your DD play over several games to get a good understanding of who she is as a player.

Wish you the best going forward with your soccer journey! Good luck to you and your DD!

EDIT: Don't get caught up in TDS or entertainment sites like that. Other than stroking egos, entertainment only.

@Mystery Train "I have gleaned from prior discussions that the bulk of the work to get recruited falls on the player and parents ...."

100% correct. Plus head coach for contact for D1 and D2 "info exchange / contact /updates.

@Marco's experience is spot on with regard to initiating contact if there are a few schools your DD is interested in.

A year or so ago, ECNL had a "partnership(??)" with ScoutingZone and we took advantage of it. It was free and was a quick set-up. Player image, highlight video (George Langevin is excellent to work with BTW), pertinent stats including GPA, beep test, etc. We contacted coaches (for camp info as the primer and a few already had her on scouting reports) then, if they seemed interested then we would send ScoutingZone link for their review. We also included her next tournament schedule. Then we would follow up with voicemail (to top college choices) amd reminder email just prior to tournament so that they would slot her for scouting. Our head coach was always in the loop for follow up support. Dont get discouraged because it is a time consuming process and great programs / recruiters will want to see your DD play over several games to get a good understanding of who she is as a player.

Wish you the best going forward with your soccer journey! Good luck to you and your DD!

EDIT: Don't get caught up in TDS or entertainment sites like that. Other than stroking egos, entertainment only.

Thanks, G0West & Marco. This is very helpful!

I had a Daughter that played D3! (Non-ECNL Player-SCDSL Flight1) D3's are highly underrated I agree! So many D3's are awesome:) Amazing education, she was All OAC Conference all 4 years, she was an All Great Lakes Regional Player. Played in the NCAA Final Four her Freshman year, has 3 OAC Conference Championship NCAA rings. (How many D1 players never even make it to the NCAA tournament??) Ending up graduating with an outstanding job in Accounting. (Was told that she was selected by her employer due to all of her leadership and athletic accolades) Her school came up with about a 70% scholarship and grants, if a D3 wants your daughter to play soccer for them...they will find $$$. The school she eventually ended up going to was not found on Captain U, but she did have offers from 2 other school (with $$$) and both of those conversations started in her Junior year on Captain U. So I think its well worth the $25, your player has to proactive and email on their own too!

I had a Daughter that played D3! (Non-ECNL Player-SCDSL Flight1) D3's are highly underrated I agree! So many D3's are awesome:) Amazing education, she was All OAC Conference all 4 years, she was an All Great Lakes Regional Player. Played in the NCAA Final Four her Freshman year, has 3 OAC Conference Championship NCAA rings. (How many D1 players never even make it to the NCAA tournament??) Ending up graduating with an outstanding job in Accounting. (Was told that she was selected by her employer due to all of her leadership and athletic accolades) Her school came up with about a 70% scholarship and grants, if a D3 wants your daughter to play soccer for them...they will find $$$. The school she eventually ended up going to was not found on Captain U, but she did have offers from 2 other school (with $$$) and both of those conversations started in her Junior year on Captain U. So I think its well worth the $25, your player has to proactive and email on their own too!

The opportunity is real.

Love this Vic.

Best to u & yours!

This is exactly what I have been counseling my daughter about with regards to playing in college. If you're at a D1 school, unless you're in the top 1%, your playing time is going to be limited as an underclassman. But if you're a D1 level player who chooses to play D3, you're going to have a much better chance to play early and often. And get a great education. Thanks for sharing!

This is exactly what I have been counseling my daughter about with regards to playing in college. If you're at a D1 school, unless you're in the top 1%, your playing time is going to be limited as an underclassman. But if you're a D1 level player who chooses to play D3, you're going to have a much better chance to play early and often. And get a great education. Thanks for sharing!

There are plenty of opportunities to play at D1 schools. It's a long season and players that show that they deserve to play will. That isn't to say that D3 isn't a very good option. I am just saying that there are over 300 D1 schools and trust me there is a WIDE range of levels of schools in both soccer and academics. The best idea is to just find a good fit for your player. Good luck to you and your player.

MAP I hear you however...can anyone name a single small elite liberal arts college that is D1? I believe they are all D3. Therefore, if a DD wants to study at a selective liberal arts college then she will have to go D3. The near-excpetions are the Ivy league schools which are not small but are clearly very selective and D1 in their own world.

MAP I hear you however...can anyone name a single small elite liberal arts college that is D1? I believe they are all D3. Therefore, if a DD wants to study at a selective liberal arts college then she will have to go D3. The near-excpetions are the Ivy league schools which are not small but are clearly very selective and D1 in their own world.

I don't know of an elite liberal arts college that plays D1. I can tell you that there are several bible colleges that do. The good news is that the Ivies are the creme de la creme of academic institutions in the world and they play D1. In addition, as you know, many of the other top 25-50 schools play D1 so if a player wants it all, there are many great options out there.

Anything that gives young women more options I am for. Good luck to you and your player.

I just posted in the SoCal Scene asking about this. I too started getting emails stating a coach added my daughter. I didn't even think to look in the Recruiting sub-forum. Hadn't been in this section before. DD starts HS in a few weeks. Thanks to everyone for their info that's already posted.

I just posted in the SoCal Scene asking about this. I too started getting emails stating a coach added my daughter. I didn't even think to look in the Recruiting sub-forum. Hadn't been in this section before. DD starts HS in a few weeks. Thanks to everyone for their info that's already posted.

I saw the same thing for my dd. Those general emails come to my email address. Anyway, after I logged in and saw the school interested (Grand Canyon University, I think?), I gave up on checking it out. Since that time, I have seen multiple emails from Captain U since the initial emails. Those emails go to my spam folder now, so I don't see them anymore.

Seems like Captain U is like a spam site.....once you log in and confirm your interest, they start barraging you with lots of emails.

I saw the same thing for my dd. Those general emails come to my email address. Anyway, after I logged in and saw the school interested (Grand Canyon University, I think?), I gave up on checking it out. Since that time, I have seen multiple emails from Captain U since the initial emails. Those emails go to my spam folder now, so I don't see them anymore.

Seems like Captain U is like a spam site.....once you log in and confirm your interest, they start barraging you with lots of emails.
Grand Canyon University is legit..

Back