Can a parent file a grievance against SoCal Soccer League?

I entered the field once when my daughter got knocked out after being blindsided with a late hit, and hit her head on the ground. Her eyes were rolling into the back of her head. I would enter the field again if this happened.
:confused:

At the end of the day we are parents before we are spectators, and there isn't going to be anything to override that. But we also know that there are consequences to the decisions we make.

I entered the field once when my daughter got knocked out after being blindsided with a late hit, and hit her head on the ground. Her eyes were rolling into the back of her head. I would enter the field again if this happened.
Many years ago I responded to a similar situation with my daughter's Gu10 team. One of her teammates fell and her arm was obviously broken below the elbow. One of our parents was an ER physician -- he grabbed the cardboard bottom of a case of Gatorade bottles and was sprinting across the field fashioning a splint as he went. By the time the referee's attention fell back to the situation, the young girl was already receiving expert medical attention.

I don't want to say the city because people will immediately know where I'm talking about. I remember one year our football coach setup a scrimmage with one of the inercity teams. We didn't think that much of it because our team was accustomed to the general norms of what you'd generally see in a suburban game.

As we bussed into the "football field" it was quickly assessed that intercity standards for watering fields was not the same as the suburbs. The field was 80% mud and the night before was below zero so the mud turned into hard jagged edge razors that would cut whatever clothing or flesh it came in contact with.

As the game game went on it became obvious that the intercity team had no game plan and their only offense was hand off to the fast kid or throw a long bomb. Our coach countered with a prevent defense and after the game was over. I played defensive end and I remember the tight end kept telling me jokes at the line. Several were so funny that I complely gave up on my coverage.

This is where it got interesting...

After the game was over we had won but you could see the other team and their parents grouping up. It also became apparent that the black kids and their parents weren't happy that they were beat by a suburban team. So as we're walking out to the bus suddenly we hear a a rock fly by us. Within 30 seconds there were 10-20 rocks flying through the air. I looked back and it was not only the team we beat but the parents were throwing rocks at us as well!

Once the coaches realized what was going on we double timed it to the bus. Our coaches were screaming for everyone to sit down so they could get a headcount. While this was happening rocks were hitting the bus and windows were breaking. Once our coach got a headcount he screamed GO GO GO to the driver and we took off.

As we were taking off our running back/ linebacker runs to the back of the bus flips off the other team and parents and proceds to pull down his pants + shove his butt against the glass.

By far one of the craziest and most fun games I've ever played in.

Not trying to downplay "attacking a ref" because that is wrong. But sometimes heat of the moment decisions and actions are the things you'll remember for the rest of your life.
I like when you said "but only one ended up attacking the ref"

Wow 🤦‍♂️
It was all wrong and messed up. I felt like they were blaming every single person that was there even if they were just watching the game/drama. It makes sense to ban the people who stormed the ref "for life".

I don't want to say the city because people will immediately know where I'm talking about. I remember one year our football coach setup a scrimmage with one of the inercity teams. We didn't think that much of it because our team was accustomed to the general norms of what you'd generally see in a suburban game.

As we bussed into the "football field" it was quickly assessed that intercity standards for watering fields was not the same as the suburbs. The field was 80% mud and the night before was below zero so the mud turned into hard jagged edge razors that would cut whatever clothing or flesh it came in contact with.

As the game game went on it became obvious that the intercity team had no game plan and their only offense was hand off to the fast kid or throw a long bomb. Our coach countered with a prevent defense and after the game was over. I played defensive end and I remember the tight end kept telling me jokes at the line. Several were so funny that I complely gave up on my coverage.

This is where it got interesting...

After the game was over we had won but you could see the other team and their parents grouping up. It also became apparent that the black kids and their parents weren't happy that they were beat by a suburban team. So as we're walking out to the bus suddenly we hear a a rock fly by us. Within 30 seconds there were 10-20 rocks flying through the air. I looked back and it was not only the team we beat but the parents were throwing rocks at us as well!

Once the coaches realized what was going on we double timed it to the bus. Our coaches were screaming for everyone to sit down so they could get a headcount. While this was happening rocks were hitting the bus and windows were breaking. Once our coach got a headcount he screamed GO GO GO to the driver and we took off.

As we were taking off our running back/ linebacker runs to the back of the bus flips off the other team and parents and proceds to pull down his pants + shove his butt against the glass.

By far one of the craziest and most fun games I've ever played in.

Not trying to downplay "attacking a ref" because that is wrong. But sometimes heat of the moment decisions and actions are the things you'll remember for the rest of your life.
Sounds like a movie I recently saw.

Now imagine that plus the ref calling the game and no foul or even a discussing about being careful. I get why that parent was mad.

It was all wrong and messed up. I felt like they were blaming every single person that was there even if they were just watching the game/drama. It makes sense to ban the people who stormed the ref "for life".
Unfortunately for you someone associated with your team physically assaulted a ref.

This is the one thing leagues can't allow.

Being a ref is a thankless role. You don't make much money per game and no matter what happens at the end of the game one group of people aren't mad at you and the other group is.

Would you want to do a job that pays a little more than minimum but has the "benefit" of possibly being attacked by a crazed parent? This is the situation all the leagues are facing. Not only is it physically dangerous for refs its just not financially viable for leagues to pay low wages if refs are likely to be assaulted. Insurance rates would go through the roof and nobody would want to do the job.

Keep in mind that a couple of years ago someone pulled a gun or threatened to pull one out of their backpack at Galway Downs during a major tournament.

There's also been multiple situations where the bench was cleared with kids/players and parents fighting.

Again, if the trend continues leagues won't be able to afford insurance. Or will just pass along the higher costs to players/parents.

SoCal Soccer League banned a team from their league for one spectator's action. The club president refuses to share the email from the league addressing the ban. The league's policy is never to have contact with parents. I need to know if my child is actually banned, banned for the season, or banned for life.
Wow, I was actually at that game at Valley College! I am not a parent of a player of either team. I was there to see some of the players that I have coached in the past ( One on one team and 4 on the other team). Reading the comments, I think most people are not answering your question which is: Can my player still play in SoCal with ANY team since The Extreme team has been banned.
Unfortunately, since it seems that you can’t get a straight answer from anyone, I think you’re going to need to register with your NEW team and see if the registration is accepted by SoCal. If not, the club will have to refund your money and you will have to find a team that plays in a different league like Coast…..

Good luck to you. Hopefully your child will be able to get registered. Once the team was banned and the players all went their separate ways, that should have been enough for SoCal without banning all players individually.

Let us know how it goes.

My quick observations of the game.
1. The ref was very aggressive toward one team. I can elaborate, but not right now.

2. When the parent ran onto the field, the child was on the ground for an unusually long period of time before the parent ran onto the field. As a spectator, It looked it was a very serious injury.

Obviously, my observations don’t mean much here. Just trying to give a little perspective on the game.

For the record this website is not affiliated with the SoCal Soccer League. This site was formed when Coast Soccer League was the only league in Socal.

.....and then SCDSL changed its name to something super confusing, because it's exactly the same as yours!
For the record this website is not affiliated with the SoCal Soccer League. This site was formed when Coast Soccer League was the only league in Socal.

Back