Are "showcases" dead?

This weekend we have Surf and Silverlakes "showcase" events. Over the past 2 weeks, there have been ECNL/RL events. (Only familiar with the girls side of things)
If the path to college is via ECNL - What value do these events have?
I can't imagine college coaches like spending their Thanksgiving in a Motel 6 in Norco any more than players like getting up for an 8 am game after a day of eating at grandmas house.

This weekend we have Surf and Silverlakes "showcase" events. Over the past 2 weeks, there have been ECNL/RL events. (Only familiar with the girls side of things)
If the path to college is via ECNL - What value do these events have?
I can't imagine college coaches like spending their Thanksgiving in a Motel 6 in Norco any more than players like getting up for an 8 am game after a day of eating at grandmas house.

BLASHPHEMY! - Sincerely, soccer wallets

Girls side list. Working my butt off for my daughters friend to find a college in So Cal. Unfortunately not ECNL/GA, but really good player. It is tough. She has sent emails, has a few coming to watch this weekend. Not many P5 schools, but lots of other D1, D2, NAIA schools. Fingers crossed.

My Pals kid got a great deal after the Tournament last year. I will say she got in because she had a 4.5 GPA. Do the coaches get a bonus for a high Team GPA?

I came across an argument on the facebook boards complaining about, on the boys side, professional showcases put on by some clubs, in this particular case one put on by SoCal elite for the LA Galaxy and some Mexican academies. All the following can be true about them at the same time:
1. If your kid is not in MLS Next (SoCal Elite is not MLS Next, at least not currently), they probably aren't good enough to play pro side.
2. If they were playing MLS Next, the scouts would have the opportunity to find them
3. That's it's a money grab for the club and a way to raise the club's profile by offering the opportunity, especially to its members at a discount
4. That there are kids that get tapped by "that someone in the crowd" and that do make it.
5. That coaches and scouts, because they need to justify their salaries, do go to these events as promised and are on the look out for unexpected talent/diamonds in the rough that could advance their own careers
6. That the odds of being selected as such a diamond in the rough for a trial are very small, and of progressing beyond the trial are even smaller.
7. Buyer should beware and get what they are being sold. Don't complain later you were misled because the only they they promised is a look, which they very graciously arranged (at however substantial a price).

The only real basis to complain about these is when an organizer over promises (if there in fact aren't the scouts that show that they say will show).

I came across an argument on the facebook boards complaining about, on the boys side, professional showcases put on by some clubs, in this particular case one put on by SoCal elite for the LA Galaxy and some Mexican academies. All the following can be true about them at the same time:
1. If your kid is not in MLS Next (SoCal Elite is not MLS Next, at least not currently), they probably aren't good enough to play pro side.
2. If they were playing MLS Next, the scouts would have the opportunity to find them
3. That's it's a money grab for the club and a way to raise the club's profile by offering the opportunity, especially to its members at a discount
4. That there are kids that get tapped by "that someone in the crowd" and that do make it.
5. That coaches and scouts, because they need to justify their salaries, do go to these events as promised and are on the look out for unexpected talent/diamonds in the rough that could advance their own careers
6. That the odds of being selected as such a diamond in the rough for a trial are very small, and of progressing beyond the trial are even smaller.
7. Buyer should beware and get what they are being sold. Don't complain later you were misled because the only they they promised is a look, which they very graciously arranged (at however substantial a price).

The only real basis to complain about these is when an organizer over promises (if there in fact aren't the scouts that show that they say will show).
1700524403046.png

I wish there was a better understanding of just how difficult it is to actually become a professional soccer player in this country , or play at D1 P5 school for girls

Baseball is just as bad. These parents should see it as a accomplishment if their kids makes the high school baseball team in SoCal

A certain GA club just published their commit list. It’s laughable. I think the best school on there is UC Santa Cruz. And most of these girls are going to these schools for quarter scholarships. It’s sad.

I wish there was a better understanding of just how difficult it is to actually become a professional soccer player in this country , or play at D1 P5 school for girls

Baseball is just as bad. These parents should see it as a accomplishment if their kids makes the high school baseball team in SoCal
My pal's dd got a D1 P5 deal. She has never played but loves the school. Grades make a big difference, and she had great connection to access with her club and her parent's had the money to pay for 95% of school costs. She is a good player but will never see the field, because she just quit. Two years of no play was enough for her. She will get her degree on time though :)

I finally started to wonder if these "showcases" were little more than fundraisers like I.D. camps. I mean, many of these schools send their assistant coaches. Why? Is the assistant really qualified to assess talent? Some certainly would be. The majority? I began to wonder if the schools get kickbacks for sending an assistant so the tournament could put them on the attendee list and generate buzz.

A certain GA club just published their commit list. It’s laughable. I think the best school on there is UC Santa Cruz. And most of these girls are going to these schools for quarter scholarships. It’s sad.
Not sure why that is laughable. If those players are getting into schools that they may have not been able to get into with just academics then that's a win for them. Not everyone can play for a D1 P5 school or not everybody wants to play for P5 if they are gunning for higher academics.

Just some rough back of napkin calculations...NCAA stat is 2.4% of HS girl soccer players play D1. With only a fraction of those being P5 maybe less than 0.5% of HS players play D1 P5. And then probably similar numbers for percentage of girls who make it to pro ranks from college...basically very very few girls will play pro.

I finally started to wonder if these "showcases" were little more than fundraisers like I.D. camps. I mean, many of these schools send their assistant coaches. Why? Is the assistant really qualified to assess talent? Some certainly would be. The majority? I began to wonder if the schools get kickbacks for sending an assistant so the tournament could put them on the attendee list and generate buzz.
Most of us got played. I remember the first showcase when my dd was in 7th grade. The paying customer wants one thing, college for their kid and ECNL knows that full well. I remember seeing some young guy go into a port a potty. He walked out like Superman wearing one of the Big U hats and shirt. I found out later it was just a young assistant scouting for coach.

Last edited:
Not sure why that is laughable. If those players are getting into schools that they may have not been able to get into with just academics then that's a win for them. Not everyone can play for a D1 P5 school or not everybody wants to play for P5 if they are gunning for higher academics.

Just some rough back of napkin calculations...NCAA stat is 2.4% of HS girl soccer players play D1. With only a fraction of those being P5 maybe less than 0.5% of HS players play D1 P5. And then probably similar numbers for percentage of girls who make it to pro ranks from college...basically very very few girls will play pro.
If the best school on there is UC Santa Cruz, it’s laughable. Parents paying top dollars for their kids to end up in Chico state level schools.

If the best school on there is UC Santa Cruz, it’s laughable. Parents paying top dollars for their kids to end up in Chico state level schools.
My dd got a call from a well-known D2 School on the East Coast. The pitch was on speaker so her parents could hear. I loved this coach, and the school is off the charts. Academics were high so I pre-judged what the coach would say. He was the best coach on the phone hands down. He wanted my dd to play for his school and he made amazing pitch. The problem was the cold, cold weather. Expectation on grades were not that high to my surprise. I kind of hoped she would take the deal but she was a no but thanked coach.

The ECNL Phoenix Showcase was just last week. Saw all the usual coaches/schools there. Probably still the best place for visibility and exposure.

Ever heard of a current college freshman playing at a showcase? I know of one, didn't play last year, probably going portal, playing this weekend.

Back