5 different type of leagues in Socal - WHY ?

It is already like for Tennis and Swimming (could be other sports as well but these are my sports growing up).
There is something about soccer that gives people hope that their kids will make it, I am not sure what it is. Based on my conversations with other club soccer parents, most are certain their kids have a good chance to play soccer in college or at least use it for admission. I told them that even if you are in ECNL team, the chance is slim unless you are the star player on the team.
That's true that the chance is slim. However, it's equally slim to get into an elite school as well. Just like you take AP classes, run for ASB, volunteer, work, etc. Most of these things alone won't get you into an elite school. However, you do it anyway, hoping a collection of all of it will. Also, elite D1 college coach I've talked to said grades first. If your grade is not good enough to qualify you as a regular admit, they won't even care about your soccer ability.

Comparing club soccer to rec such as Pop Warner, NJB basketball, rec baseball and softball is way off, should use AYSO soccer.

Travel basketball above the rec level is expensive. Daughter did it for a year. Court time, coaches pay, tournaments. Combine that with $15 for parking and $10 per person to watch a game, you spend $100 additional on weekends to go watch, easily spending $400 per month.

Football is a different animal players are developed in High School, with many kids to big to play in pop warner thus don't even get started until Freshman year of High School.
I believe that most travel basketball and baseball clubs typically are only one team deep at each age group. Whereas for the larger soccer clubs it's not uncommon for there to be 4-7 teams at a single age group. I think it's fair to compare the majority of club soccer to other sports teams/leagues like Pop Warner in terms of relative level of play. Maybe not ECNL and MLS Next, but pretty much everything else, yes.

That's true that the chance is slim. However, it's equally slim to get into an elite school as well. Just like you take AP classes, run for ASB, volunteer, work, etc. Most of these things alone won't get you into an elite school. However, you do it anyway, hoping a collection of all of it will. Also, elite D1 college coach I've talked to said grades first. If your grade is not good enough to qualify you as a regular admit, they won't even care about your soccer ability.
Not sure how true that is:

Anything under a 3.75 is a reach to get into Stanford as a regular admit, but then again maybe that's why she went pro.

Not sure how true that is:

Anything under a 3.75 is a reach to get into Stanford as a regular admit, but then again maybe that's why she went pro.
Maybe it's different on the girl side. I can only say this for the boys side, since this is what I heard directly from a couple of coaches at Ivy schools. They straight up said that, in your email, put your GPA in the subject line, in front of year and position you play. That's how important GPA is.

Maybe it's different on the girl side. I can only say this for the boys side, since this is what I heard directly from a couple of coaches at Ivy schools. They straight up said that, in your email, put your GPA in the subject line, in front of year and position you play. That's how important GPA is.
Boys side is known to be worse, especially for $$$ generating sports like football and basketball. Team "tutors" do the work for players so they stay eligible. Maybe Ivy schools are different but you would think stanford and Duke would be just as academically selective.

Back