2024 SoCal State Cup Discussion

What's up everyone!

As it stood, the games on 1/20-21 were postponed to 1/27-28 for the Del Mar and Galway locations. Silverlakes was not canceled. Parents were notified via email on Thursday, 1/18 at 2:55 PM PT. Some parents were pissed due to hotel reservations and that we were not letting the kids play in inclement weather. Some parents were pissed just because nothing ever pleases them.

Then the rain came in on Friday and Saturday. It was not a drizzle, that's for sure. The Saturday games at Siverlakes were played but it was a slosh fest. I am sure the kids had fun, but I am unsure about the parents. SoCal posted Sunday morning that Silverlakes was closed and the games would be postponed. Yikes!

Did SoCal handle the rain communication correctly? What else did I miss? Ready. Set. Go!

What's up everyone!

As it stood, the games on 1/20-21 were postponed to 1/27-28 for the Del Mar and Galway locations. Silverlakes was not canceled. Parents were notified via email on Thursday, 1/18 at 2:55 PM PT. Some parents were pissed due to hotel reservations and that we were not letting the kids play in inclement weather. Some parents were pissed just because nothing ever pleases them.

Then the rain came in on Friday and Saturday. It was not a drizzle, that's for sure. The Saturday games at Siverlakes were played but it was a slosh fest. I am sure the kids had fun, but I am unsure about the parents. SoCal posted Sunday morning that Silverlakes was closed and the games would be postponed. Yikes!

Did SoCal handle the rain communication correctly? What else did I miss? Ready. Set. Go!
Didn't the heavy rain stop for most of Sunday? It's always about the fields, not the players.

What's up everyone!

looks like next weekend we are in for 6 days of rain as well.....thurs through monday

I think the communication was fine, they were saying rain or shine, but Saturday night / Sunday morning just got more rain than they expected. The thing I have an issue with is rescheduling the Sunday 1/21 games all the way out on Saturday 2/10 when the round of 32 games were planed for Saturday 2/3 so now those get pushed way out as well. Doesn't make sense why we couldn't be moved to 2/3 to finish the pool play games.

SoCal needs a rule that says clubs can’t force you to register for next year until the state cup is over. Tryout is Feb 12 and normally you are asked to register for next year that same week. If you are changing teams, how are you going to finish state cup if the games go until March?

I think the communication was fine, they were saying rain or shine, but Saturday night / Sunday morning just got more rain than they expected. The thing I have an issue with is rescheduling the Sunday 1/21 games all the way out on Saturday 2/10 when the round of 32 games were planed for Saturday 2/3 so now those get pushed way out as well. Doesn't make sense why we couldn't be moved to 2/3 to finish the pool play games.
Pretty sure they don't have access to Silverlakes Feb 3/4 and the groups that were supposed to play Jan 27/28 got pushed to Feb 3/4. There were really no good choices.

SoCal needs a rule that says clubs can’t force you to register for next year until the state cup is over. Tryout is Feb 12 and normally you are asked to register for next year that same week. If you are changing teams, how are you going to finish state cup if the games go until March?
In a perfect world tryouts would happen after State Cup. Having them in the middle is just a big distraction.

That being said, this basic setup, having tryouts during or before State Cup has been the norm for years. Kids just keep practicing/playing with their old team until their state cup run is done.

The 2013 teams and younger had tryouts in December! Thank God we are staying...but if we weren't, it would be kinda awkward playing state cup for a team you are leaving.

Pretty sure they don't have access to Silverlakes Feb 3/4 and the groups that were supposed to play Jan 27/28 got pushed to Feb 3/4. There were really no good choices.

In a perfect world tryouts would happen after State Cup. Having them in the middle is just a big distraction.

That being said, this basic setup, having tryouts during or before State Cup has been the norm for years. Kids just keep practicing/playing with their old team until their state cup run is done.
Why did the Jan 27/28 get pushed out to Feb 3/4? Weather reports say Norco has been weather clear all week and the forecast for this weekend is clear and 70's. I agree it's a tough situation, we want to protect the fields with all the state cup and winter cup games in February, but some communication from socal would help for the reasoning.

To @Cruzer 's point, for the 2013/4 and younger it prolongs the time that the current season team stays playing together where there a couple of kids who have new teams to start practicing with and new kids to start playing with next years team so it makes things awkward with that.

Why did the Jan 27/28 get pushed out to Feb 3/4? Weather reports say Norco has been weather clear all week and the forecast for this weekend is clear and 70's. I agree it's a tough situation, we want to protect the fields with all the state cup and winter cup games in February, but some communication from socal would help for the reasoning.

To @Cruzer 's point, for the 2013/4 and younger it prolongs the time that the current season team stays playing together where there a couple of kids who have new teams to start practicing with and new kids to start playing with next years team so it makes things awkward with that.
Because some teams did not play Jan 20/21 so they got pushed back to Jan 27/28 which pushed backed the teams supposed to play that wkd to Feb 3/4.

True it makes it awkward during State Cup when teams are not staying together but I'm learning the reality is that kids start looking for new teams as soon as fall season ends even when the official tryout window isn't until Feb.

This happened for all the games at Surf and Galway:
Because some teams did not play Jan 20/21 so they got pushed back to Jan 27/28 which pushed backed the teams supposed to play that wkd to Feb 3/4.
And, doing a little more digging, the 11v11 games start Feb 3/4 at Galway, which means they would need to be punted in order to handle the youngers.

As for communication, there were a couple of pretty lengthy emails sent to coaches, club and team admins from SoCal. Whether or not those emails got delivered down to the parents was really up to those who received them.

I'm generally just the last person to stand up for SoCal and most of the decisions they make, but they really were dealt a situation where no matter what they did, people were going to get upset.

What's going to make it more fun, is if you look at the forecast starting Thursday 2/1; Temecula and Del Mar are supposed to get almost an inch of rain on Thursday, Norco about 3/4, with rain continuing through the weekend. If it holds, there won't be any matches on natural surfaces in Southern California next weekend and the reschedules are going to get really messy.

Just imagine you played a game on Feb 10 and your team got rocked by TFA 11-0. Your coach didn’t show up to coach the game because he had other scheduling conflicts. Now you have your tryout on Feb 12 and none of your starters are at the tryout. Worst case scenario.

I didn't realize that all the Saturday games didn't finish, and today I was talking with a parent from another club that played later in the day Saturday and they talked about how much of slopfest their afternoon game was. Seems like SoCal is handling this all right, but they have a mess to deal with going forward.

I'm a normally a critic of SoCal but I think they did fine...
Venues closed and they pushed it. Silverlake didn't so they played it... but it rained more than expected so they had to shut it for Sun...
They couldn't move it to the weekend after because other ages had games already that weekend...
Sucks but it is what it is...

Thoughts on if this weekend gets canceled...how will that shift the entire schedule around?
[/QUOTE

I think they try and sneak in Saturday in Norco and Del Mar. Sunday is looking doubtful. I wouldn't be surprised is Del Mar postpones the entire weekend, the drainage is much worse there.

The only thing that I don't really like is that we have a month between pool play finishing 1/28 and the round of 16 (one game on Sunday 2/25).

The rain is the rain there's not a lot you can do about it unfortunately.

Back