2019 State Cup Presidents Younger's Rescheduling Issues

Well it happened again today as so many of you probably may already know, and if you’re not aware, by all means, please continue reading and let me fill you in to the chaos and misery that many tired and stressed out Parents, Players, Families, and Coaches all had to suffer today with many of us having to drive over 100 miles to Galway Downs Soccer Fields in Temecula in some of the worst traffic I’ve ever had to endure on a non-holiday weekend Saturday Afternoon which came with major delays, compliments of the 4 accidents encountered along the way as well as almost every single driver who so kindly decided to slow down to a crawl to observe the blooming wildflowers along the hillside on I-15 near Lake Elsinore, with everyone arriving just on time, only to find out and receive the disappointing news that all of our scheduled State Cup Games for the weekend had been abruptly cancelled and without any advance warning or any sort of courtesy phone call, email, or notification that cancellation was imminent and this was actually happening until everyone was already onsite which only made matters worse and making the whole situation that much more upsetting to parents and players alike.

That’s right, you heard that correctly!!! Adding insult to injury after a long a very brutal drive, MOST OF THE TEAMS IN THE 2006 GIRLS PRESIDENTS DIVISION HAD THERE GAMES CANCELLED AGAIN TODAY at Galway Downs due to human freaking error of all things!!

Come'on, really???

While I can totally accept all the rescheduling that has been happening the past several weeks due to weather and rain affecting the quality of the fields and making them unplayable, but seriously Cal South!!! Rescheduling this time around because of field size. How in the world did someone not notice this sooner? I would like to think that someone should have noticed while they were going around from field to field double checking the schedule for accuracy and changes as well as making sure that each team is properly matched and assigned to one of the many designated playing fields that should have been setup well in advance and sized for 11v11 play for teams Y13 and above . I really don't get it. There's simply no excuse for this, especially since they had additional time to prepare for this. Two weeks to be exact if I'm not mistaken, counting the past two weekends they've already had to reschedule due to rain!!! No Excuses!! One would expect that with so much time for planning and preparation, all games this weekend at Galway Downs should have all been played without a hitch or any sort of delay just like a well-oiled machine. Smooth and Flawless without any hiccups.

Seriously though, I'm still honestly trying to wrap my head around how no one seemed to notice till it was too late that something was slightly off with the field dimensions and missed something so ridiculously obvious, such as getting the field size correct for the proper age bracket, especially for such a major event and tournament as State Cup. Apparently, someone didn't get the memo that the fields needed to be setup for 11v11 play this weekend. I'm sorry, but I simply cannot and will not accept the fact that due to a mistake on Cal South’s part, we are once again in limbo, forced to put our lives on hold for yet another weekend and have no choice but to play our rescheduled games on such short notice. I’m sorry, but this does not bold well and is really tough to swallow this time around!

I honestly feel that rescheduling again at such short notice put’s a lot of teams at a disadvantage giving momentum to both teams that are local and teams that have the flexibility of having a full roster with multiple subs that can easily fill in for a player that may have issues making the rescheduled game the following weekend for whatever reasons. I can’t help but to feel extremely disappointed in this year’s event, knowing that a simple mistake like this could have been easily corrected and easy to fix if only it had been noticed a day sooner by someone who was doing their job! Mistakes for minor things like this simply cannot happen during major soccer tournaments and events. They simply Can’t!!!

As frustrating and disappointing as this day was for everyone, all we can do now is put everything behind us and focus on next weekends games. As difficult as it is trying to get over today’s events, it's still hard to believe that something as small as this one minor oversight can have such a major impact on a team’s overall status and moral and cause so much havoc in a single afternoon. At this point I’m still trying to let everything sink in and slowing coming to terms with this weekend’s chapter of,”a day in the life of a Club Soccer Parent and Team Manager”. Ha-Ha..

I’m sure everyone has their own thoughts and opinions which I would love to hear about if you too were also caught up in this mess.

At this point, I really just want to know who the main person is that we need to be pointing the finger at for them dropping the ball and doing a very piss poor job at disseminating very important scheduling information in an expedited manner as well as their lack of properly communicating this sudden change efficiently to all Coaches and Team Managers about the pending field issues once it was immediately known and confirmed that games were more than likely being cancelled for most teams. It would also be nice in determining which party was solely responsible for today fiasco and series of unfortunate events and the aftermath that followed shortly after from lots of upset and extremely frustrated parents. It would have really been nice if we had received a little advance notice and word about what was happening once new broke out about the possibility and chances that all our games were more than likely going to be cancelled and rescheduled well beforehand or at least before most teams arrived, which would have at least better prepared us for the bad news and probably saved everyone a lot of heartache and frustration

I apologize if it seems like I’m beating up a dead horse and I’m so sorry if it seems as though I’m whining, but really, I truly think someone needs to step up and be held accountable for today’s actions and try to come up with some sort of monetary resolve or peace offering to help make amends for valuable time wasted, Fuel and Gas Costs Spent, Hotel Rooms Booked with no cancellations, and so forth. I’m really trying to take things in stride here and I really don't mean to make such a big deal about this, but as minor as it may seem having to reschedule yet again for the following weekend comes with its challenges, as our team will definitely be faced with a few new hurdles we’ll need to overcome along with a set of obstacles that a few of us will have to get around in order to clear up schedules and free up time to attend. This one simple change to our schedule and team calendar is not only an minor inconvenience to all Teams, their Families, and Coaches, but it also creates a certain amount of uncertainty for many other unknowns variables, like player availability, scheduling conflicts with parents, and other commitment issues that may be hard or difficult to change for everyone, which could possibly result in monetary loss, wasted time, and much more..

So now the big question remains!!

How does Cal South accommodate such teams who may more than likely encounter such said obstacles in order to make things fair for all teams competing so that one team does not and will not automatically have a starting advantage over another?

Personally Speaking , I know for a fact that rescheduling for next weekend is definitely going to have an impact on our team leaving us short 1 player that I know about so far, putting us at a loss at one of our play makers and starting midfielder, which is more than likely going to put us at a disadvantage out the get go. Argh!!!

This completes my rant about today’s events and all associated matters.

Thoughts? Complaints? Suggestions? Solutions?

Well it happened again today as so many of you probably may already know, and if you’re not aware, by all means, please continue reading and let me fill you in to the chaos and misery that many tired and stressed out Parents, Players, Families, and Coaches all had to suffer today with many of us having to drive over 100 miles to Galway Downs Soccer Fields in Temecula in some of the worst traffic I’ve ever had to endure on a non-holiday weekend Saturday Afternoon which came with major delays, compliments of the 4 accidents encountered along the way as well as almost every single driver who so kindly decided to slow down to a crawl to observe the blooming wildflowers along the hillside on I-15 near Lake Elsinore, with everyone arriving just on time, only to find out and receive the disappointing news that all of our scheduled State Cup Games for the weekend had been abruptly cancelled and without any advance warning or any sort of courtesy phone call, email, or notification that cancellation was imminent and this was actually happening until everyone was already onsite which only made matters worse and making the whole situation that much more upsetting to parents and players alike.

That’s right, you heard that correctly!!! Adding insult to injury after a long a very brutal drive, MOST OF THE TEAMS IN THE 2006 GIRLS PRESIDENTS DIVISION HAD THERE GAMES CANCELLED AGAIN TODAY at Galway Downs due to human freaking error of all things!!

Come'on, really???

While I can totally accept all the rescheduling that has been happening the past several weeks due to weather and rain affecting the quality of the fields and making them unplayable, but seriously Cal South!!! Rescheduling this time around because of field size. How in the world did someone not notice this sooner? I would like to think that someone should have noticed while they were going around from field to field double checking the schedule for accuracy and changes as well as making sure that each team is properly matched and assigned to one of the many designated playing fields that should have been setup well in advance and sized for 11v11 play for teams Y13 and above . I really don't get it. There's simply no excuse for this, especially since they had additional time to prepare for this. Two weeks to be exact if I'm not mistaken, counting the past two weekends they've already had to reschedule due to rain!!! No Excuses!! One would expect that with so much time for planning and preparation, all games this weekend at Galway Downs should have all been played without a hitch or any sort of delay just like a well-oiled machine. Smooth and Flawless without any hiccups.

Seriously though, I'm still honestly trying to wrap my head around how no one seemed to notice till it was too late that something was slightly off with the field dimensions and missed something so ridiculously obvious, such as getting the field size correct for the proper age bracket, especially for such a major event and tournament as State Cup. Apparently, someone didn't get the memo that the fields needed to be setup for 11v11 play this weekend. I'm sorry, but I simply cannot and will not accept the fact that due to a mistake on Cal South’s part, we are once again in limbo, forced to put our lives on hold for yet another weekend and have no choice but to play our rescheduled games on such short notice. I’m sorry, but this does not bold well and is really tough to swallow this time around!

I honestly feel that rescheduling again at such short notice put’s a lot of teams at a disadvantage giving momentum to both teams that are local and teams that have the flexibility of having a full roster with multiple subs that can easily fill in for a player that may have issues making the rescheduled game the following weekend for whatever reasons. I can’t help but to feel extremely disappointed in this year’s event, knowing that a simple mistake like this could have been easily corrected and easy to fix if only it had been noticed a day sooner by someone who was doing their job! Mistakes for minor things like this simply cannot happen during major soccer tournaments and events. They simply Can’t!!!

As frustrating and disappointing as this day was for everyone, all we can do now is put everything behind us and focus on next weekends games. As difficult as it is trying to get over today’s events, it's still hard to believe that something as small as this one minor oversight can have such a major impact on a team’s overall status and moral and cause so much havoc in a single afternoon. At this point I’m still trying to let everything sink in and slowing coming to terms with this weekend’s chapter of,”a day in the life of a Club Soccer Parent and Team Manager”. Ha-Ha..

I’m sure everyone has their own thoughts and opinions which I would love to hear about if you too were also caught up in this mess.

At this point, I really just want to know who the main person is that we need to be pointing the finger at for them dropping the ball and doing a very piss poor job at disseminating very important scheduling information in an expedited manner as well as their lack of properly communicating this sudden change efficiently to all Coaches and Team Managers about the pending field issues once it was immediately known and confirmed that games were more than likely being cancelled for most teams. It would also be nice in determining which party was solely responsible for today fiasco and series of unfortunate events and the aftermath that followed shortly after from lots of upset and extremely frustrated parents. It would have really been nice if we had received a little advance notice and word about what was happening once new broke out about the possibility and chances that all our games were more than likely going to be cancelled and rescheduled well beforehand or at least before most teams arrived, which would have at least better prepared us for the bad news and probably saved everyone a lot of heartache and frustration

I apologize if it seems like I’m beating up a dead horse and I’m so sorry if it seems as though I’m whining, but really, I truly think someone needs to step up and be held accountable for today’s actions and try to come up with some sort of monetary resolve or peace offering to help make amends for valuable time wasted, Fuel and Gas Costs Spent, Hotel Rooms Booked with no cancellations, and so forth. I’m really trying to take things in stride here and I really don't mean to make such a big deal about this, but as minor as it may seem having to reschedule yet again for the following weekend comes with its challenges, as our team will definitely be faced with a few new hurdles we’ll need to overcome along with a set of obstacles that a few of us will have to get around in order to clear up schedules and free up time to attend. This one simple change to our schedule and team calendar is not only an minor inconvenience to all Teams, their Families, and Coaches, but it also creates a certain amount of uncertainty for many other unknowns variables, like player availability, scheduling conflicts with parents, and other commitment issues that may be hard or difficult to change for everyone, which could possibly result in monetary loss, wasted time, and much more..

So now the big question remains!!

How does Cal South accommodate such teams who may more than likely encounter such said obstacles in order to make things fair for all teams competing so that one team does not and will not automatically have a starting advantage over another?

Personally Speaking , I know for a fact that rescheduling for next weekend is definitely going to have an impact on our team leaving us short 1 player that I know about so far, putting us at a loss at one of our play makers and starting midfielder, which is more than likely going to put us at a disadvantage out the get go. Argh!!!

This completes my rant about today’s events and all associated matters.

Thoughts? Complaints? Suggestions? Solutions?

WOW

It was definitely a chaotic, crazy scene with so many coaches and adults losing their cool. Hotels in the area were inundated with cancellations and at least I heard many were refunding 50% back... It will be interesting how they remedy this situation and if they will be able to get all those games rescheduled for next weekend!

That's some opening sentence. Bravo!

Wow. That sucks.
I’ve come to a new revelation about club soccer in So Cal.
There are 2 types of soccer families.
1. Those who HAVE been totally screwed by a league, club, team or coach at least once.
2. Those who WILL be totally screwed by a league, club, team or coach.

CalSouth is a poor excuse for a soccer governing body and only verified such a fact with this weekend’s oversight at Galway Downs. For the 06 bracket in particular, they should have pushed back the whole group to next weekend from the get go. Half of the group didn’t play as they were scheduled to play in Oceanside and the fields were closed. Had all the games been completed at Galway Downs those who advanced would most like still have to wait an extra week pending the results of the top half of the group from Oceanside. It was disgusting how our first game was at 3:30p Saturday and were only made aware of the cancellation as our team had already arrived at 2p! Time wasted, hotel money wasted, but hey, we got a WHOLE $10 refunded for parking!!! Not only were they not prepared to accommodate most 11v11 teams but made some teams play on 9v9 fields which is absolute trash given they haven’t played that in a very long time. Those games looked ridiculous as teams were all bunched up with way too many players on such a small field. The talk was of sending people to Apple Valley next weekend... APPLE VALLEY?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me??? No thanks! There are many better tournaments where the competition is much stronger to be worrying about this poor version of a State Cup!

Maybe since it’s Presidents Cup and not National Cup not too much effort or attention is put into it at the end of the day!

Indeed. Thank goodness for commas, I guess.

Reminded me of this --

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief,
it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair,
we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way— in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
...which was at one time listed in a book of world records as the "longest opening sentence of a book". (Tale of Two Cities, Dickens)

CalSouth is a poor excuse for a soccer governing body and only verified such a fact with this weekend’s oversight at Galway Downs. For the 06 bracket in particular, they should have pushed back the whole group to next weekend from the get go. Half of the group didn’t play as they were scheduled to play in Oceanside and the fields were closed. Had all the games been completed at Galway Downs those who advanced would most like still have to wait an extra week pending the results of the top half of the group from Oceanside. It was disgusting how our first game was at 3:30p Saturday and were only made aware of the cancellation as our team had already arrived at 2p! Time wasted, hotel money wasted, but hey, we got a WHOLE $10 refunded for parking!!! Not only were they not prepared to accommodate most 11v11 teams but made some teams play on 9v9 fields which is absolute trash given they haven’t played that in a very long time. Those games looked ridiculous as teams were all bunched up with way too many players on such a small field. The talk was of sending people to Apple Valley next weekend... APPLE VALLEY?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me??? No thanks! There are many better tournaments where the competition is much stronger to be worrying about this poor version of a State Cup!

Don't see why they couldn't use birdsall sports park this weekend since it's not too far from Galway. There were four turf fields not being used all weekend, and it's free to park. Guess they really need the parking money.

Don't see why they couldn't use birdsall sports park this weekend since it's not too far from Galway. There were four turf fields not being used all weekend, and it's free to park. Guess they really need the parking money.

Don't you need a city permit?

I was there Saturday morning, yeah it was a complete mess.

We were coming from the north county of San Diego, so all in all, only about 2-3 hours and $10 was wasted. I would be hoping mad if I had to drive through several hours of heavy traffic, waste money on gas and hotel just to have the luxury of seeing CalSouth's incompetence first hand.

What I don't understand is that by 8:00am Saturday, it should have been obvious the looming disaster this was going to be. Why not send out notifications immediately about the situation and begin re-lining the fields to create more 11v11 fields? Maybe some of the Saturday games would have to be rescheduled, but they could at least salvage all of the Sunday games. It seemed like CalSouth was just paralyzed for most of Saturday. Very poor crisis management. Yes the situation was unexpected but it didn't seem like anyone from CalSouth stepped up to try to bring some order to chaos and to prevent the situation from getting worse.

I also heard the same thing from some parents that CalSouth was trying to strong-arm some teams to play in Apple Valley next weekend. That's like kicking someone in the balls after you've already punched them in the gut and taking their lunch money. The best way CalSouth can try to get this behind them is to do a complete mea clupa and be as accommodating as possible. There should also be reparations for those who had to drive long distances and booked hotels for Friday and Saturday. An Act of God is one thing if games are canceled due to rain, an Act of Incompetence is another and it's not something CalSouth can hand-wave away.

Off the top of my head, a few things CalSouth can do:
- No parking fees for the rest of the tournament for this age group
- Arrange with hotels to offer significant discounts on hotel stays the next couple of weekends.
- No State Cup team registration fee in 2020 for any team that had to endure the farce this weekend.

Sure CalSouth would lose some revenue, but this is only one age group out of a dozen others. They can bite the bullet and easily survive it. However if CalSouth takes a hostile posture this could have long-term implications for them.

I was there Saturday morning, yeah it was a complete mess.

We were coming from the north county of San Diego, so all in all, only about 2-3 hours and $10 was wasted. I would be hoping mad if I had to drive through several hours of heavy traffic, waste money on gas and hotel just to have the luxury of seeing CalSouth's incompetence first hand.

What I don't understand is that by 8:00am Saturday, it should have been obvious the looming disaster this was going to be. Why not send out notifications immediately about the situation and begin re-lining the fields to create more 11v11 fields? Maybe some of the Saturday games would have to be rescheduled, but they could at least salvage all of the Sunday games. It seemed like CalSouth was just paralyzed for most of Saturday. Very poor crisis management. Yes the situation was unexpected but it didn't seem like anyone from CalSouth stepped up to try to bring some order to chaos and to prevent the situation from getting worse.

I also heard the same thing from some parents that CalSouth was trying to strong-arm some teams to play in Apple Valley next weekend. That's like kicking someone in the balls after you've already punched them in the gut and taking their lunch money. The best way CalSouth can try to get this behind them is to do a complete mea clupa and be as accommodating as possible. There should also be reparations for those who had to drive long distances and booked hotels for Friday and Saturday. An Act of God is one thing if games are canceled due to rain, an Act of Incompetence is another and it's not something CalSouth can hand-wave away.

Off the top of my head, a few things CalSouth can do:
- No parking fees for the rest of the tournament for this age group
- Arrange with hotels to offer significant discounts on hotel stays the next couple of weekends.
- No State Cup team registration fee in 2020 for any team that had to endure the farce this weekend.

Sure CalSouth would lose some revenue, but this is only one age group out of a dozen others. They can bite the bullet and easily survive it. However if CalSouth takes a hostile posture this could have long-term implications for them.

We totally get it. I happen to be the team manager and let me tell you, I'm still getting an earful from some of my parents. But I agree, they the field sizes were not up to standard for G2006/11v11 Play which is so disappointing. Bottom line, they did not want to spend the extra dollars to correct the situation or provide an alternate location. Shame on them.

We're actually in the process of composing a pretty serious letter with the hopes that Cal South will be able to provide us with some sort of resolve. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks...

Good luck getting CalSouth to step up and take responsibility for anything. In over a decade, I can't recall them ever stepping up and doing what is right that would require them to change what they were already doing or that required someone to just make a decision and get it done...for the kids. They are all followers and everything is done by committee over there. Someone should have just made the call to get someone out to reline the fields that same day. You could have gotten games delayed and some maybe not played but could have salvaged most of the day and all of Sunday to play but the way Calsouth does it, they have to call a board meeting to discuss it and get everyone's input so nobody's feelings get hurt for not being part of the decision making process.

Hate seeing stuff like this happen over and over again...

Here, go ahead and give the BoD a call or an email.

https://www.calsouth.com/en/board

Having been a part of the lovely 2006 debacle a couple of years ago, good luck getting a response. CQ and RC are highly unlikely to respond but you might as well try and get them to respond to the people who actually pay their salaries.

Good luck getting CalSouth to step up and take responsibility for anything. In over a decade, I can't recall them ever stepping up and doing what is right that would require them to change what they were already doing or that required someone to just make a decision and get it done...for the kids. They are all followers and everything is done by committee over there. Someone should have just made the call to get someone out to reline the fields that same day. You could have gotten games delayed and some maybe not played but could have salvaged most of the day and all of Sunday to play but the way Calsouth does it, they have to call a board meeting to discuss it and get everyone's input so nobody's feelings get hurt for not being part of the decision making process.

Hate seeing stuff like this happen over and over again...

Correctly lining a field the right size for 11v11 from scratch takes about 2 man-hours if you are working alone, have the right equipment, and have done it before.

If you have help, it can take up to 8 man-hours.

Best thing to do is not participate in State Cup next year. It's really just a badly organized overrated tournament.

My sons 06 team didn't do state cup t.f his year and really not a big deal to be honest. I was a l upset at first but now seeing all the issues I'm more than ok. We start npl this weekend and have some good games lined up for the next 2 months through npl.

My sons 06 team didn't do state cup t.f his year and really not a big deal to be honest. I was a l upset at first but now seeing all the issues I'm more than ok. We start npl this weekend and have some good games lined up for the next 2 months through npl.

I have asked several kids that have been in DA for a few years if they miss State Cup and not a single one said they did. It seems like it's more for the adults to be honest.

Back