2016-1017 GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER THREAD

Sunset has some good players in it. Only problem I have is why mandatory OT in tied games? Draws are part of league soccer.

2OT's is how they do it in college before it is a draw. I like it. For two teams to tie they have to slug it out for 110 minutes.

2OT's is how they do it in college before it is a draw. I like it. For two teams to tie they have to slug it out for 110 minutes.

All good, just for me personally I'm not a fan of it as it becomes survival of the fittest...which is the motto of too many college programs from what I've witnessed :)

All good, just for me personally I'm not a fan of it as it becomes survival of the fittest...which is the motto of too many college programs from what I've witnessed :)

Hey I agree that too many colleges rely on things other than good soccer in their games. From what I have seen, most college teams play 15-18 players. Occasionally you will see a team like North Carolina that will go 20 players deep (they do hockey line changes). I have also seen teams use only 12 or 13 players so fitness is the name of the game (girls are running 5-9 miles a game!). High school soccer is a game of superstars IMHO. Most of the players are average to bad anyway so I didn't really see too many aesthetically pleasing games anyway and my player played in the Southern Section in Division 1.

At the end of the day high school is a decent approximation of college even more that club due to the mixed ages and various dynamics. Good luck to you and your player.

Sunset has some good players in it. Only problem I have is why mandatory OT in tied games? Draws are part of league soccer.
For the last several years the Golden West league here in OC has not only had 2 full 10-minute overtimes but then goes to kicks from the penalty mark to resolve ties in varsity girls games. Teams get 3 points for a win, 2 points for a draw but winning via KFTM and 1 point for a draw but losing KFTM. The GW girls is the only league here in OC that goes to KFTM; the varsity boys games in the GW league only do 2 full 10-minute overtimes.

My understanding from conversations with GW girls coaches is that this approach was adopted because previously there had been many ties in league standings due to many tie games and that created issues with determining CIF playoff entries, which I believe were probably resolved by coin flips.

For the last several years the Golden West league here in OC has not only had 2 full 10-minute overtimes but then goes to kicks from the penalty mark to resolve ties in varsity girls games. Teams get 3 points for a win, 2 points for a draw but winning via KFTM and 1 point for a draw but losing KFTM. The GW girls is the only league here in OC that goes to KFTM; the varsity boys games in the GW league only do 2 full 10-minute overtimes.

My understanding from conversations with GW girls coaches is that this approach was adopted because previously there had been many ties in league standings due to many tie games and that created issues with determining CIF playoff entries, which I believe were probably resolved by coin flips.

Palomar League in San Diego Section (and I believe other Leagues in North County Conference) use as a tie-breaker the head-to-head games between the teams, and if that is one win apiece, the winner of the last game. Two ties goes to a coin flip. The tied teams are all allowed to declare themselves as "Palomar League Co-champions" but CIF SDS wants a single team to be nominated as league champs since that team is guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, and usually an opening-round home game (unless paired with another team with equal privilege).

Hart Tribe wins Foothill for 4th straight year. (these ladies have not lost a league game in 4 years). I guess with the new CIF rules, their grand prize is a bump up to Div I in the playoffs. They've always gone super deep into the playoffs (my dd's freshman year they played in the championship for Div II). Go Tribe!

Reactions: HBE
Actually Hart played Div 2 conference schedule, but because they have done well the last 2 years. They are bracketed in the D1 CIF playoffs this year. West Ranch HS is in the same conference as Hart and they are D2.
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/info...4d3-ab36-4d6b-9bb7-ebaa61589cff&season=winter

My DDs school is D5 and they have finished semi's and finalists the last 2 years in D5 CIF playoffs and this year are playing D4 CIF playoffs.

The power rankings shows what playoff bracket schools will be playing in.

Actually Hart played Div 2 conference schedule, but because they have done well the last 2 years. They are bracketed in the D1 CIF playoffs this year. West Ranch HS is in the same conference as Hart and they are D2.
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/info...4d3-ab36-4d6b-9bb7-ebaa61589cff&season=winter

My DDs school is D5 and they have finished semi's and finalists the last 2 years in D5 CIF playoffs and this year are playing D4 CIF playoffs.

The power rankings shows what playoff bracket schools will be playing in.

Regardless of the conference schedule, on 10/27/2016 Hart was reclassified as a D1 team for the 2016/2017 season. http://www.socalsoccer.org/News/CIF+Divisional+Lists+for+2016-17/. Yes, West Ranch is D2. :)

The what would Sunset league be? 3 teams in D1 and 2 teams in D2
IMO, the new bracketing is hokey. Take my DDs school they are a high D4 ranking, but compete against D5 schools. When they get to the playoffs, they won't be ready to play D4 competition. Same can be said for Hart playing D2/D3 schools and then thrown into D1 bracket at playoffs.

That's like a D2 college team being bracketed to play D1 playoffs, because they have done well the last 2 seasons.

Instead realign and relegate/promote the schools to fit their HS program divisional level. Example: my DDs school was dropped from D1 to D5 2 years ago.

IMO, the new bracketing is hokey. Take my DDs school they are a high D4 ranking, but compete against D5 schools. When they get to the playoffs, they won't be ready to play D4 competition. Same can be said for Hart playing D2/D3 schools and then thrown into D1 bracket at playoffs.

That's like a D2 college team being bracketed to play D1 playoffs, because they have done well the last 2 seasons.

Instead realign and relegate/promote the schools to fit their HS program divisional level. Example: my DDs school was dropped from D1 to D5 2 years ago.

What about the D2 teams that rocked the D1 teams all season and playing in D2 playoffs :). None of it matters.

I would also add, if a higher divisional school is competing against lower level schools in league. The higher ranked school will have a greater probability of making CIF playoffs and vice versa, since playoffs are based on league results.

What about the D2 teams that rocked the D1 teams all season and playing in D2 playoffs :). None of it matters.
I believe divisional rankings are based on student body size. If a D2 team has a great season and gets to the CIF D2 semi's or championship game. They will eventually play against D1 schools at regional playoffs.

Back