YouthSoccer Rankings Back Online

I can't seem to get the rankings to load...has anyone had any luck getting the SoCal rankings on the site?

It is working just like it used to. Like Coach Z says, the filters are dynamic. Once you start to enter something it filters right away. It also saves whatever you had last time. I suspect either you have something filtering out the results or your browser/version/setting isn't supported.

Thanks Coach JZ but I think the u19's are not up and running yet....I can get the rankings for the other age groups but not the 98's...

How do these rankings differ from Got Soccer rankings? Which one is more accurate/reliable?
It depends.
GS uses points gained from GS tournaments. The more you play, the more you earn, the higher you are ranked.
YSR uses scores from all of your games. So, they should be more accurate, but I have seen some confusion (especially after the age group changes) about 2 teams from the same club. Games and teams have been mixed up.

Play the teams in front of you. Win the games you should win and hopefully win a few that you shouldn't win and your team will be alright. Rankings are fun and nothing more, really.

It's good to see the Youth Soccer Rankings are back and I'm thankful to those who run this site. I've always wondered what the motivation/incentive is for the folks who run this site as there are no banner ads or anything that I can see that creates revenue.

YS are way better than GS, but YS has MANY kinks to work out. They have teams missing, teams listed multiple times, and for clubs with multiple teams in the same age group, often the scores are being given to the incorrect teams. If you spot these and you care, you can email them and point out the mistakes for them to fix. The games also only go back to Aug 1st, so they are missing most of the tournament season when current teams were already formed.

YSR is run by one guy. He's very responsive if you point out errors and will fix them. YSR is more accurate over time because it ranks scores from multiple different games, GS only ranks based on its own tournaments and some of those are worth insane amounts (no matter the actual competition.) YSR will become more accurate once more results are inputted but GS is always skewed IMO.

It doesn't appear to distinguish between games played against flt 2 vs. flt 1 teams?
It doesn't distinguish it only goes off of the YS score and the outcome of the game. If a team with a lower YS score beats or even ties a higher ranked opponent, regardless of flight, they will be rewarded. Conversely if a higher ranked team, based on YS score, doesn't beat a lower ranked team by the difference in the YS scores they will be penalized. It’s a great system since all games are taken into account. The system is just starting to come back online so it will take a few weeks to get all of the kinks sorted out. I have emailed the administrator of the site and he has corrected several issues within a day, so if your team is not listed correctly or has missing games just email the admin.

The admin is quite responsive. Part of getting the rankings to work correctly, if people are interested, is to "report errors" - click on the teams that you know can be merged/unmerged and help make those corrections. Each of us on this board can probably help fix 10 teams in the age group we follow just by helping with the merge/don't merge function. Add tournaments your kid's team has played in since 8/1 - that will help correctly connect more teams.

It doesn't distinguish it only goes off of the YS score and the outcome of the game. If a team with a lower YS score beats or even ties a higher ranked opponent, regardless of flight, they will be rewarded.

So a flt 3 team that is winning most of their flt 3 games will be more highly ranked than a flt 1 team that has a 50/50 record against other flt 1 teams? Sorry if I'm missing something...

So a flt 3 team that is winning most of their flt 3 games will be more highly ranked than a flt 1 team that has a 50/50 record against other flt 1 teams? Sorry if I'm missing something...

There is a U11 Flight 2 team ranked very very high that obliterates every team they've played. I haven't seen them play yet, but I just have a hard time believing that at this point in the year they're better than the above-average flight 1 teams I've seen play twice.

No. Go look at the Boys 2004s and 2005s that you comment about. You'll see where the good Flt 2 teams (Chavez, Galaxy) are ranked well above some of the weak Flt 1s. The rankings make sense.

It really doesn’t matter about the flight it really is based on the YS score. Example would be that LA Galaxy SB (2005 flight 1) is ranked number 1 (Cal South) with a YS score of 33.39 where as San Clemente Surf (2005 flight 3) is ranked 129th (Cal South) with a YS score of 25.94. That means if those two teams played Galaxy would be expected to win by 7 goals or more. If they failed to accomplish that they would most likely lose points and ranking in YS. There are instances where Flight 2 teams are ranked higher than some Flight 1 teams based on the YS score and rankings.

No. Go look at the Boys 2004s and 2005s that you comment about. You'll see where the good Flt 2 teams (Chavez, Galaxy) are ranked well above some of the weak Flt 1s. The rankings make sense.

http://youthsoccerrankings.us/

How does it make sense? Strikers SB Black (flt2) is ranked 11th, below Beach Lopez (flt2) who is 8th and had less points per game than Strikers. 17 of the 19 B04 flt 1 teams in SCDSL are ranked below Strikers SB Black (flt2), that includes Laguna FC and Strikers Mission Viejo who finished rank 1 & 2 in B04 flt 1 South division.

Just trying to understand how this "makes sense"...

I have been doing this for the G04 and G05 rankings. I have (someone helps with the G05) collecting scores of games from all tournaments and games (by hand) and then using excel solver to use a best fit to rank all the teams based off of scores. Each team is given a "Strength" number and when those two teams play the difference between their strength numbers is how much one team should be the other by. If they win by more then their strength number improves and if they win by less their strength number decreases.

Here is a link if you haven't already seen it.

http://coachingkidssoccer.blogspot.com/2016/10/cas-g04-youth-soccer-rankings-14.html

http://youthsoccerrankings.us/

How does it make sense? Strikers SB Black (flt2) is ranked 11th, below Beach Lopez (flt2) who is 8th and had less points per game than Strikers. 17 of the 19 B04 flt 1 teams in SCDSL are ranked below Strikers SB Black (flt2), that includes Laguna FC and Strikers Mission Viejo who finished rank 1 & 2 in B04 flt 1 South division.

Just trying to understand how this "makes sense"...
I’m not an expert at this but I would say that Strikers, with a GD of +43, have been playing lower ranked teams than Beach (GD +24). Plus you are talking about a YS score of .18 between Beach and Strikers which is negligible. It’s all about your opponent’s strength (YS score) along with goal differential. I’m probably over simplifying it. If also means that Strikers and Beach should be playing up at Flight 1 (IMO).

Back