Youth UPSL

Koko

BRONZE
anybody know how upsl youth league compares to DA, ECNL or SCDSL Discovery League? Learned that Juventus academy will be playing in upsl starting this fall.

I don't claim to know alot about the UPSL, but it doesn't seem like they really have a league in Southern California. Looking at their SoCal teams in their western division (https://www.upslsoccer.com/youth-teams), they only have one team at U10, three at U12, six at U14, nine at U16, and fifteen at U18. Very few are clubs I have seen or heard of.

That is a total of 34 teams in all of SoCal, spread over all ages. That would make the entire league a medium-sized club in CSL, SCDSL or the San Diego leagues.

If your SoCal club is planning on playing in this league, it tells me that it cannot qualify to play in one of the established leagues, like CSL or SCDSL. If you are a SoCal club, there is no reason to sign up for the USPL unless you cannot get into a better league.

For me, this would be a gigantic red flag. Your experience may be different.

anybody know how upsl youth league compares to DA, ECNL or SCDSL Discovery League? Learned that Juventus academy will be playing in upsl starting this fall.
I would say in terms of competition and overall quality that it is at least a step below DA, ECNL/SCDSL

Just started up this Spring so not that many clubs or teams yet but they will double in size or more in the fall I was told

All the other leagues pretty much dead end around u17 so this is a chance for a club like Juventus academy who is afflicated with la10fc.com to give players a path to play in there other Divisions evenutally and bulid their club Training and playing along with the older teams & professionals helps as does there style.

This is one of only leagues that has promotion/regulation for the adult teams and as you can see with LA10 and Alessandro Del Prio they started new, won their division, where promoted to PRO, and are building a community around them that plays a nice brand of soccer.

As far as how this fits into the other league offerings time will tell but seeing how this is usclub league there will be opportunities for post season, showcases, tournments, etc.

I see this is a niche league for those u16+ players seeking a higher level of training, play, future than the traditional leagues provide. Let's face CSL, DSL, DA, and others is not all that competitive at U16+ for the top teams who just end up playing each other year after year and the teams at the top don't change much.

If you're a good u16 player you can play u18 in this league, u17 and you can play in the men's division. Don't see that happening in any other leagues besides USL so that's really there competition not the other youth leagues. With the new USL academy Division just announced will see how this plays out but I hope both are successful since we need community based soccer clubs with futures in the USA.

College supplemental league also since they only play what three months a year? Some of adult players are paid but you can still remain amateur if you want to?

Just started up this Spring so not that many clubs or teams yet but they will double in size or more in the fall I was told

All the other leagues pretty much dead end around u17 so this is a chance for a club like Juventus academy who is afflicated with la10fc.com to give players a path to play in there other Divisions evenutally and bulid their club Training and playing along with the older teams & professionals helps as does there style.

This is one of only leagues that has promotion/regulation for the adult teams and as you can see with LA10 and Alessandro Del Prio they started new, won their division, where promoted to PRO, and are building a community around them that plays a nice brand of soccer.

As far as how this fits into the other league offerings time will tell but seeing how this is usclub league there will be opportunities for post season, showcases, tournments, etc.

I see this is a niche league for those u16+ players seeking a higher level of training, play, future than the traditional leagues provide. Let's face CSL, DSL, DA, and others is not all that competitive for the top teams who just end up playing each other year after year.

If you're a good u16 player you can play u18 in this league, u17 and you can play in the men's division. Don't see that happening in any other leagues besides USL so that's really there competition not the other youth leagues. With the new USL academy Division just announced will see how this plays out but I hope both are successful since we need community based soccer clubs with futures in the USA.
This is one rationale for affiliating with or starting a UPSL adult team, but a club doesn't have to enter a team in a UPSL fall league to accomplish the same result. Existing UPSL teams with CSL, SCDSL etc youth programs can have kids from their older age groups train with and/or move up to play with their adult UPSL team if appropriate.

This is one rationale for affiliating with or starting a UPSL adult team, but a club doesn't have to enter a team in a UPSL fall league to accomplish the same result. Existing UPSL teams with CSL, SCDSL etc youth programs can have kids from their older age groups train with and/or move up to play with their adult UPSL team if appropriate.

usclub carded players can play in this league so anything is possible.

For youth this league only makes sense to me if the club & teams play, train along side the adult teams in the same communities with similar curriculum at lower costs.

Going out to SilverLakes, San Bernardino complex, etc to play normal league games does help bulid community soccer and it's expensive in terms of time & $. This league is home/away and is more attractive and affordable for community based clubs. I doubt there trying to compete with CSL, DSL, or DA and the big $$ clubs that's not the niche there going for IMO.

The complexion of youth soccer in the US is changing to include pathways that include a broader variety of professional opportunities and not just college as the end game (more so on the boys side currently) - just look at all the teenagers signing pro deals in Europe, homegrown contracts, 15/16 year olds signing with MLS/USL clubs.

MLS is becoming more competitive and club valuations, expansion fees and average salaries are increasing.
DA is growing and becoming more efficient and providing a higher level of development.
ECNL is growing and providing competition for DA.
USL is expanding and providing a more important development step for some young pro players and an alternative to Europe.
UPSL and other pro and pro/am development pathways are becoming useful for development towards pro and college.

The landscape will continue to evolve rapidly.

UPSL is an interesting one to keep an eye on. Early days.

Back