Youth Sports Killed Kobe

All this article tells me is that Kobe got involved in travel ball like all of us. He tried it to with soccer too. His Mamba team and my dd almost played together. No joke. That didn't work out and then he had GiGi. She could ball, let me just say that. Kobe was living his life and nothing wrong with that. The Mamba academy trained the Mamba way. Kobe air balled four shots and after the game he went and shot until 6am. Look it up. I like the article because it hits more to the point of how much time and money we spend trying to help our kids and what some parents will do to help them.

Last edited:
Last 2 threads started:
1) Alex Morgan’s arrogance in wanting to qualify for the Olympic Team post pregnancy (the nerve)
2) Youth Sports Kills Kobe (yep, the system flew that helicopter into the cliff).

Youstart threads with antagonistic intentions and call people “snowflakes” for reacting. So who really is the asshole here? Those who incite an emotional response then critique it or those who react?

The sad part is that current system is separating kids that have talent but lack resources to the kids with parents that can afford it all.

Ultimately this system will fail to discover the best athletes that can make it to the pro level.

Even for those who can afford $10k+ a year in ECNL/Academy level, the economics don’t add up. You will spend more on a 7 year ECNL program than most kids will get in scholarship money

ECNL is not a seven year program. It is always about your choice. You can choose to spend your money on a new car every ten years, an expensive home, expensive vacations, Starbucks, concerts, professional sports events, expensive clothes, wine, booze and so many other things. Always a choice where and when to spend money. You set your own priority for yourself and your family. Outstanding grades do not cost money, unless you go to a "private" school. It is a choice. Will your child stay up half the night studying for their AP or honors class test? Will they study most of the weekend to get the outstanding grades? Always a choice.

It's not a choice if the claims that college coaches only look at ECNL and Academy. The fact is that state schools should be looking at high school CIF games or have open tryouts for local players. Imagine if UC Schools and Cal State Schools had an annual open tryout for all the kids that want to get athletic scholarships. This gives an opportunity to any player (regardless of their financial background) a real chance to get a soccer scholarship.

I know that this easier said than done but ultimately we are the tax payers so why are these coaches recruiting mostly through ECNL/Academy.

I make decent money and my kids are not good enough to even make it to flight 1 so this doesn't impact me.
My point is I see many underprivileged kids that have no chance at getting a view by the college scouts because they only play high school soccer or local hispanic leagues.

It's not a choice if the claims that college coaches only look at ECNL and Academy. The fact is that state schools should be looking at high school CIF games or have open tryouts for local players. Imagine if UC Schools and Cal State Schools had an annual open tryout for all the kids that want to get athletic scholarships. This gives an opportunity to any player (regardless of their financial background) a real chance to get a soccer scholarship.

I know that this easier said than done but ultimately we are the tax payers so why are these coaches recruiting mostly through ECNL/Academy.

I make decent money and my kids are not good enough to even make it to flight 1 so this doesn't impact me.
My point is I see many underprivileged kids that have no chance at getting a view by the college scouts because they only play high school soccer or local hispanic leagues.
Bingo!!!

I thought the DA was supposed to help the poor kids too? I would assume most poor kids go to public school? I read somewhere that said some poor kids had actual become great soccer players in other parts of the world. Not here yet? I don;t want to assume too much so please, if the smart dads here think I'm wrong, please enlighten me. So poor families and most middle class families who have their poor kids in public school 100% can;t really afford the DA and all the travel. All public school kiddos and poor families are locked out of the process and are left to develop themselves in HS or Rec league all because the DA Higher Ups Forbid all public school kids from ACCESS. On top of that, they tell everyone how bad it is and if you want to develop don't play in HS. So they attack and forbid and lock the poor kids and public school kids out. Wow, is this for real? I told EVERYONE I would challenge this someday. This is so wrong it makes me PUKE!!!!!!

No....

Kobe was trying to help others and make a difference, he did that up until is final moments as we heard for his BF RP today at his celebration for life. RIP Mamba. Living life and embracing the moment & love ones.

Back