Youth Sports Killed Kobe

Valid points in below article. Sounds too familiar. I didn't know about the IG controversy of Kobe posting the 115-22 Mamba win last year. When the youth sports FOMO is killing our fellow parents, it's time to stop the insanity, at least for your own family. Maybe that's the best lesson that Kobe can teach us all?

If someone can copy/paste the article in this thread everyone can read (bc it's behind a paywall if you reached your quota).

RIP #8/24

Valid points in below article. Sounds too familiar. I didn't know about the IG controversy of Kobe posting the 115-22 Mamba win last year. When the youth sports FOMO is killing our fellow parents, it's time to stop the insanity, at least for your own family. Maybe that's the best lesson that Kobe can teach us all?

If someone can copy/paste the article in this thread everyone can read (bc it's behind a paywall if you reached your quota).

RIP #8/24

Or open another browser (my third worked).

I was afraid someone would eventually say "helicopter parents". Zeigler did.

You can be driving and accidents happen as well.

Or going to a Birthday party.

Wow, very deep article. I appreciate it and coming from a writer with a little experience as well in youth sports and is a papa bear in soccer too :) LBHS girls water polo team won CIF last night. My dd called and said, "we won dad." Everyone from the school was here too. Principle, Mayor, English teachers, Campus Police Officer, AD, other coaches and students and parents and locals from town." What do you think she's thinking about for next year? What @Rocky's dd get's to go do and all the girls from Upland and Santiago (Corona) for D1 bragging rights. I'm not saying HS Soccer rules or is better than full time travel ball but it's becoming more intriguing as the days go by. If Kobe could come back for 10 hrs, where on earth you think he's going first???????????? Also bet all his money he would not be looking to play hoops with Shaq and the fellas or go to the Mamba Cup.

You can be driving and accidents happen as well.

Or going to a Birthday party.
Both true, but not good analogies to this unfortunate situation if Zeigler's article is accurate. A better analogy would be if you disregarded Highway Patrol's chains/4wheel drive requirement then slid off the road in your front-wheel drive Prius--just to attend a game.

Memorial is today.

Were all hooked!!! I'm still alive and grateful each day I have on planet earth. Kobe's death brought perspective of what truly is important to me. I like what the writer said about the perfect financial storm. Let's say average soccer family in LA makes $100,000. If you want to roll with the Jones & Smith families who like to eat and drink on the road and stay at nice hotels and fly, then your spending $10K+ at least. If your on a tight budget and don;t eat out with anyone and bring trail mix and Top Ramen and some Hot Pockets, you can do it for under $5,000 but you can;t be with your child on the road so you have to trust all those in charge in the club soccer world with your child and frankly that is never going to happen with this papa bear with how some of these coaches and docs live their lives. When the truth lies somewhere in the middle, I'm not sending my kid with you until I can see the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.

"From our bank accounts.

It is the perfect financial storm, a system that feeds on a willingness to do anything (and pay anything) for our children; a fear that our kids will fall behind if they miss a practice or game because someone, somewhere is working longer and harder; a lust for what psychologists call “reflected glory” when they hit a home run; and an insatiable, insidious thirst for victory. In the United States, by some estimates, it is a $17 billion annual industry."

Were all hooked!!! I'm still alive and grateful each day I have on planet earth. Kobe's death brought perspective of what truly is important to me. I like what the writer said about the perfect financial storm. Let's say average soccer family in LA makes $100,000. If you want to roll with the Jones & Smith families who like to eat and drink on the road and stay at nice hotels and fly, then your spending $10K+ at least. If your on a tight budget and don;t eat out with anyone and bring trail mix and Top Ramen and some Hot Pockets, you can do it for under $5,000 but you can;t be with your child on the road so you have to trust all those in charge in the club soccer world with your child and frankly that is never going to happen with this papa bear with how some of these coaches and docs live their lives. When the truth lies somewhere in the middle, I'm not sending my kid with you until I can see the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.

"From our bank accounts.

It is the perfect financial storm, a system that feeds on a willingness to do anything (and pay anything) for our children; a fear that our kids will fall behind if they miss a practice or game because someone, somewhere is working longer and harder; a lust for what psychologists call “reflected glory” when they hit a home run; and an insatiable, insidious thirst for victory. In the United States, by some estimates, it is a $17 billion annual industry."

The sad part is that current system is separating kids that have talent but lack resources to the kids with parents that can afford it all.

Ultimately this system will fail to discover the best athletes that can make it to the pro level.

Even for those who can afford $10k+ a year in ECNL/Academy level, the economics don’t add up. You will spend more on a 7 year ECNL program than most kids will get in scholarship money.

The sad part is that current system is separating kids that have talent but lack resources to the kids with parents that can afford it all.

Ultimately this system will fail to discover the best athletes that can make it to the pro level.

Even for those who can afford $10k+ a year in ECNL/Academy level, the economics don’t add up. You will spend more on a 7 year ECNL program than most kids will get in scholarship money.
Bingo!!!!

I know I shared parts of my dd story many times on the forum. @GirlsRule thinks I'm 5 people when the whole time I told the truth about why I switched avatars every single. Trust me, it crossed my mind to play two villains on here but it's hard for me to be two faced, even as a righter. My rants are in plain view for all to see. I came here originally to speak to a few dads and a couple coaches I know that have been known to lurk here from time to time. I'm sorry for those of you caught in the middle of the truth. I'm not talking to them anymore, I'm talking to parents who want help. We know the one's who don;t need any help and actually get mad when you try to help.

RIP #8/24

Very rarely do I comment in these other threads, but today I am.

Very Very respectfully I disagree......

The Title is an insult to youth sports......

A choice was made and the choice was NOT affiliated with " Youth Sports " at all.

The decision to fly in the overcast/very low visibility conditions rests solely on the pilot.

No one else. Sorry if I offend anyone, but the TRUTH is the TRUTH.

Just add the word "Did Youth.....................Kobe? I look at it this way. If I my headlights on my car broke all of sudden and I still drive to the game in the dark and I crash into a wall because I didn't see the wall in front me, my fault as the driver in charge? Not the games fault, the team or the clubs fault. Let's say I have no money and one of my tires are balled. I want my dd to be the first in our family to go to college so bad that I drive her anyways to Apple Valley for the game. I have a blow out on the freeway and kill me and her. Whose fault is it?

Back