Youth Soccer Rankings USA are starting over....too

Well, I checked in on the Youth Soccer Rankings USA page this morning and saw a bank page with the following message quoted below:

CALENDAR YEAR RE-ALIGNMENT
After considerable research I have found it is not possible to map teams from the 2015/16 season to the new 2016/17 teams in a meaningful or consistent way. Consequently all team histories prior to August 1st 2016 will be discarded and rankings will be based on games from that date.

It will take several months to establish enough results to publish a meaningful national ranking. Please check back in October.

TOURNAMENT FLIGHTING
Many tournaments use these rankings for flighting. I apologize for the loss of service. Please blame US Soccer, not me! For reference, you can still view the rankings as of June 2016 here.

Will starting over give us a more accurate standings than blending with the teams histories and player changes?

Reactions: cr7
Do any of these sites really matter? Sure, it's cool to look and see where your kids team ranks, but in the end, are they ever accurate? However, the Youth Soccer Rankings site seemed to be more accurate last year versus GotSoccer's rankings.

Oh well, I am sure I will be looking at this site when the rankings are back up again.

Reactions: cr7
I decided to do my own home grown rankings. I started with tournaments at the end of May and did my best to exclude games played out of age group. This was difficult when I started but now tournaments are strictly going to birth year age groupings for tournaments. The rankings are calculated by using the excel solver macro. The input is the scores of each game and as the sample size of games grows the rankings become more and more accurate. Obviously, the sample size is pretty low for many teams so far. Unfortunately for you, I only did this for the age group my kid plays in which is G04. There is a lot of data entry on weekends but all of the tournament results can be found on the Cal South website (Tournament link). Someone could easily do this for G03 and I'd be happy to send them my G04 file so you could learn how to duplicate the process. You have to do your own data entry though.

Here is an article that kind of explains the process (football example).

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2008/05/homemade-sagarin-ratings.html

I decided to do my own home grown rankings. I started with tournaments at the end of May and did my best to exclude games played out of age group. This was difficult when I started but now tournaments are strictly going to birth year age groupings for tournaments. The rankings are calculated by using the excel solver macro. The input is the scores of each game and as the sample size of games grows the rankings become more and more accurate. Obviously, the sample size is pretty low for many teams so far. Unfortunately for you, I only did this for the age group my kid plays in which is G04. There is a lot of data entry on weekends but all of the tournament results can be found on the Cal South website (Tournament link). Someone could easily do this for G03 and I'd be happy to send them my G04 file so you could learn how to duplicate the process. You have to do your own data entry though.

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2008/05/homemade-sagarin-ratings.html

When are you going to get this ranking system up and going on the '04 thread?

It needed to be done. The last set of rankings was not even close.

Great! Let's see it!

Let's get the rankings up on the 04 thread.

Do any of these sites really matter? Sure, it's cool to look and see where your kids team ranks, but in the end, are they ever accurate? However, the Youth Soccer Rankings site seemed to be more accurate last year versus GotSoccer's rankings.

Oh well, I am sure I will be looking at this site when the rankings are back up again.

this site, more than any other, is as accurate as a ranking system can be IMHO. The site operator has a very complex algorithm with exceptional predicability. it is very useful for seeding tournaments. which is why he does it. i think it useful regardless and entertaining.

i am not volunteering at this point but i would love to see your file and consider it.

Back