Your thoughts on youth soccer and social media

I follow most local clubs on places like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter (I'm not a snapchat user. Maybe I should check that out too).

And maybe I'm hitting that "get off of my damn lawn" age now.

But the constant posting of wins is starting to be a little over the top. Post your losses too. Or post that your Flight 1/DPL team won Flight 3 in a tournament. Or mention the guest players that you brought in.

I also think it's kinda crappy when a club posts "Our SD Smurf DA team beat the OC Purples ENCL team by 3-0". Go ahead and post that you won. But I don't think you need to mention the team that you beat.

Or tagging a player that scored a goal. Congrats to "@lilMiaHamm" for the hat trick and game winner!!!!!

Social Media can be great. But it seems like they grey haired guys running clubs think this is their new holy grail to recruit and retain players.

Clubs should post about tryouts and general information. But leave the bragging to the players.

Social Media is tricky. I run my son’s team Facebook page. I will mention results when I include the game clips but I’m not posting only about results. Instead, I post things like team get togethers, out of the box training, birthday celebrations or to wish kids a speedy recovery from injury. I’ll also post tournament schedules and stuff like that. I try to make the social media account geared towards entertaining the kids on the team.

I follow most local clubs on places like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter (I'm not a snapchat user. Maybe I should check that out too).

And maybe I'm hitting that "get off of my damn lawn" age now.

But the constant posting of wins is starting to be a little over the top. Post your losses too. Or post that your Flight 1/DPL team won Flight 3 in a tournament. Or mention the guest players that you brought in.

I also think it's kinda crappy when a club posts "Our SD Smurf DA team beat the OC Purples ENCL team by 3-0". Go ahead and post that you won. But I don't think you need to mention the team that you beat.

Or tagging a player that scored a goal. Congrats to "@lilMiaHamm" for the hat trick and game winner!!!!!

Social Media can be great. But it seems like they grey haired guys running clubs think this is their new holy grail to recruit and retain players.

Clubs should post about tryouts and general information. But leave the bragging to the players.
I tend to think that the odd thing is not that the club is "bragging" on social media, but that someone from another club is following them on social media. Clubs used to do all the kudos in a newsletter or the website, but now they have to do it on social media. That's where the other kids in the club will see it. It makes it more like a club if everyone can share and like in each other's successes (if you can't brag to your family and friends, who can you brag to?). Some clubs have players of the week too. It's harmless.

Whats the #1 thing in everyone hands from age 3 to 90, a cell phone.
Social media is just another beautiful form of marketing..and to some it is the holy grail.
to be able to reach far and wide for basically free
why not
and to congrats some by name, no problem with that...kinda like a pat on the back , no reason to hate because someone is performing...
its obviously my opinion but why wouldn't you say team A beat Team B? what's the issue with that.....
are we supposed to be PC in everything now , even sports. Honestly why would that be a issue is you say galaxy beat lafc by 10-1?

SM is used to promote the clubs. I think most parents dont follow it. Mainly to attract NEW folks coming in. Branding/Image. Depends on the club and politics. My kid's team was on a team that use to win virtually every tournament, playoffs, etc and the club refused to post it on all the social media. No one really knew, since kids/parents/coaches didnt follow - or pay attention. We only found out because a kid who was looking to join the team was doing his Dick Tracy work and noticed the coach/team wasn't found on the club site or listed as tournament winners - to which he asked "Why don't you guys exist on the club site?". We thought it was funny, didnt really give a shit. I guess some parents care if their U8 club team arent posted on everything after winning Summer tourney #5

Last year OC surf playing still with WC shirts placed their B04 ECNL team in a Flight 3 tournament. #allstars
Funny that same team just won west coast classic and posted it on Instagram. I haven't looked at the tournament to see what flight they were playing just happened to notice that post

Funny that same team just won west coast classic and posted it on Instagram. I haven't looked at the tournament to see what flight they were playing just happened to notice that post
Haha. too funny. if I recall correctly it was Stringer. nothing going on at that club amazes me.

It is definitely used as a 'winning' marketing ploy. I can't pretend I've been completely immune to that the last couple years and have posted some 'tournament winners' photos but for the most part, we only really use IG and FB to post relevant info and photos/videos because the players like to see it, regardless of winning or losing.

One club I know post multiple times a day about being 'champions' and 'winning'. It is bordering on obsessive (the winning thing) but I genuinely think the poster(s) don't know any different and they are not doing it to annoy or upset anyone. At times I find it entertaining to be honest; it's very comical and I look forward to seeing what 'champions' posts they put up next. Bless them.

That's social media now unfortunately. The public only get to see the very best of individuals and organizations but the reality rarely reflects what is portrayed on social media. It's the age we live in. Perfection and winning sell. Imperfection and losing do not.

Hey Rainbow, Im curious why you think its a the dumbest post? Im not affiliated with anyone or anything in regards to this post.
If you have a 10 yr old kid thats dedicated and their team accomplished some good things , why not celebrate little....

Hey Rainbow, Im curious why you think its a the dumbest post? Im not affiliated with anyone or anything in regards to this post.
If you have a 10 yr old kid thats dedicated and their team accomplished some good things , why not celebrate little....
Because it's pretty common knowledge within that age group that they are not the best southern cal team. And GotSoccer rankings are just dumb.

Here’s my take- Rankings of youth soccer are all pretty silly. The younger the age group- the sillier.
But I know that parents love it. So if a parent says “we are the #5 team in the nation”- it’s silly, but I get it.

A club should know that rankings for this age group is a bit of a stretch. And a club shouldn’t be the one to post something like this on social media.

Good luck to these girls. And anyone who plays them this year.

Back