Your Club Soccer Dues ARE going way up next year

SB5 changes what has been in place before regarding independent contractors. If the individual performs work that is within the realm of the usual course of business by the hiring entity then they cannot be hired as an independent contractor. There are very very few businesses and professions that are allowed exceptions. It was based on a law suit by independent contractors of Dynamex Operations West, Inc.
Bingo!!!

..... In addition, all clubs are 501(c)(3) non-profits. Nothing stopping a guy from "volunteering" his time to the non-profit and the non-profit from paying a per diem or other compensation/reimbursement. So, no, clubs fees are not going up because of this. Non-issue for youth soccer clubs.
I suggest a consultation with an attorney familiar with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and IRS guidance before paying "volunteers" anything. It's an easy way to turn a "volunteer" into an employee.

I suggest a consultation with an attorney familiar with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and IRS guidance before paying "volunteers" anything. It's an easy way to turn a "volunteer" into an employee.

If you have receipts (or even handwritten mileage records) then it is just reimbursement of expenses. If it is for time, it's salary.

I asked our club President (a lawyer and CPA) once if I could get expenses reimbursed for travel to Lancaster to support our club's teams in State Cup, since I was VP of the club's BOD at the time. He laughed at me and said "Only if you go when your kids aren't playing".

Back