You Call It

NickName

SILVER ELITE
Its been a while dear readers. Now that soccer is back in swing (both club and high school), I've been trying to get some video but with the time of the year, the winds are making it difficult.

Came across this one today and am honestly curious about what the refs on here would say. I know video is different from live speed and I try to keep the clips short to reduce the outside (fan) influence.

High School Varsity

100% a penalty. Keeper does not get the ball and fouls attacker inside the box. No extenuating circumstances, no discussion needed. I actually backed the video up just to make sure the player wasn't offside, since I thought this was a trick question ("it can't be that obvious...").

Not a ref and I am biased (parent of a keeper). Offensive player was offsides, tried to leap over the keeper, keeper went low to minimize contact. No card, no foul, play on. IMO.

Keeper never played the ball and fouled the player in the box. Easily a foul and an argument could be made for DOGSO.
Wondering if it can be DOGSO if the player already got the "shot" off? It would seem that the pressure and not the foul caused the player to miss the shot?

Keeper never played the ball and fouled the player in the box. Easily a foul and an argument could be made for DOGSO.
The keeper went straight to the ball. The field player jumped and the keeper put their hands up to protect themselves.
As I have stated, I am biased as my kid is a keeper. That said, the play was at full speed, the keeper went straight towards the ball and then protected themselves when the filed player jumped. If I am the ref, I am not calling a foul. If the field player's knee had gone straight into the face of the keeper, would you have a different opinion? I would like to know what the refs at the game called.

I'll take the contrary position. Not enough contact for a penalty. OP does win the ball, but keeper barely makes contact. Does not deny a goal scoring opportunity as the ball is away and the OP goes down way too easily as the ball is going wide.

I'll take the contrary position. Not enough contact for a penalty. OP does win the ball, but keeper barely makes contact. Does not deny a goal scoring opportunity as the ball is away and the OP goes down way too easily as the ball is going wide.
This may be a case where the optics are worse than the contact, I could be convinced that this is not a foul.

Penalty, yellow to the GK for a reckless tackle (harsh probably but its that or a red for denying a goal scoring opportunity).

Why,
  • Op player gets to the ball first and makes contact with ball only, playing it past GK
  • GK flies in late and takes out player while the ball is still in play (maybe the player could have gotten to the ball if not taken out or maybe not, we'll never know)

The keeper went straight to the ball. The field player jumped and the keeper put their hands up to protect themselves.
As I have stated, I am biased as my kid is a keeper. That said, the play was at full speed, the keeper went straight towards the ball and then protected themselves when the filed player jumped. If I am the ref, I am not calling a foul. If the field player's knee had gone straight into the face of the keeper, would you have a different opinion? I would like to know what the refs at the game called.
I don't want anyone to get hurt, but the keeper was late to the ball and never touched it. The keeper read the situation incorrectly and made a reckless tackle. The offensive player had possesion of the ball and was playing the ball. The keeper made the decision to run straight at the offensive player and didn't play the ball. I am not saying the keeper meant to foul the player, but the keeper did foul the player.

I don't have a keeper, but I have a defender and an offensive player. There is a reason that offensive players learn to hit the ground after a foul, if they don't defenders and keepers will have very little incentive to not hack at them.

The keeper was very aware of his actions. The time and effort for which it would have taken to get out of the way, is the same time and effort it took to curl up against the attacker's leg. He was not going for the ball, he was curling up around that attacker's lower body to prevent him from moving forward. Even if he wasn't aware (bc intent is hard to prove) that he could get out of the way, he still had the opportunity and failed to do so. Being a bad soccer player doesn't excuse fouls especially ones that prevent goals.

Look at it in slow.

The keeper stops reaching for the ball when the offensive player’s cleat gets near face level. Keeper cringes and pulls his arms back to avoid getting kicked in the face.

Back