Yes soccer is back on...

I don't want to overstate the significance of this, but how refreshing is it, particularly in these times, for a grass roots citizen effort to achieve these results against a very powerful and controlling government influenced by special interest groups. Let Them Play did it without mob tactics, threats or cancel culture. Instead they built bipartisan consensus, negotiated in good faith, relied on evidence (and not histrionics), used some legal pressure and ultimately reached a settlement with the State. A win for our kids and a great life lesson as well.

No so fast....glorious Dr “Walking Dead” Ferrrer was in a call today stating that LA Co was reviewing state’s guidelines before allowing indoor sports. Keeping fingers crossed for our young athletes.

No so fast....glorious Dr “Walking Dead” Ferrrer was in a call today stating that LA Co was reviewing state’s guidelines before allowing indoor sports. Keeping fingers crossed for our young athletes.
Not familiar with this person- but, did they allow indoor sports with the latest guidelines? I don't have kids playing indoor sports right now, so haven't been following.

Of course she would. What did she decide in the end for football, waterpolo and rugby....did those get allowed to go forward in LA County?

Of course she would. What did she decide in the end for football, waterpolo and rugby....did those get allowed to go forward in LA County?
Not sure exactly what this means, but my friend who is a principal at a HS in Pasadena said (when I asked him your question on Dr F’s stance on those sports), “ Nothing. LA County seems to be stuck in last months ideas. She seems to be sticking with the way the tiers were originally written regardless of the new guidance.”

Not sure exactly what this means, but my friend who is a principal at a HS in Pasadena said (when I asked him your question on Dr F’s stance on those sports), “ Nothing. LA County seems to be stuck in last months ideas. She seems to be sticking with the way the tiers were originally written regardless of the new guidance.”

If so Coast may be jumping the gun with soccer. Teams are already scrimmaging LA County including field permits so that may come to a screeching halt too.

No so fast....glorious Dr “Walking Dead” Ferrrer, Phd was in a call today stating that LA Co was reviewing state’s guidelines before allowing indoor sports. Keeping fingers crossed for our young athletes.

Fixed it for you.

Not familiar with this person- but, did they allow indoor sports with the latest guidelines? I don't have kids playing indoor sports right now, so haven't been following.

Her entire approach has been more conservative than the state. When the state authorized waivers for elementary schools, she said no waivers, then said waivers for only K-2 while dragging her feet on issuing them (til cases rose and then no new waivers could be issued). She banned outdoor dining before the state did. When outdoor dining resumed she told the bars they can't do outdoor televisions (which has hurt our pub down the street tremendously since they rely on the EPL and La Liga games). She required schools opening to do this weekly testing regimen (which sadly my DS's private school sold her on). She's been supportive of LAUSD's pans for hybrid only next year. And now this on sports.

Her entire approach has been more conservative than the state. When the state authorized waivers for elementary schools, she said no waivers, then said waivers for only K-2 while dragging her feet on issuing them (til cases rose and then no new waivers could be issued). She banned outdoor dining before the state did. When outdoor dining resumed she told the bars they can't do outdoor televisions (which has hurt our pub down the street tremendously since they rely on the EPL and La Liga games). She required schools opening to do this weekly testing regimen (which sadly my DS's private school sold her on). She's been supportive of LAUSD's pans for hybrid only next year. And now this on sports.
who is she?

Why the fuss over separating indoor and outdoor sports?

The data supports that distinction. Three weeks ago everyone here was happy to point out that outdoor activity is safer than indoor. Did that fact suddenly go away?

If LA is drawing a line at indoor versus outdoor, good for them. They're just following the science.

Organize some outdoor hoops and volleyball, and be done with it.

Why the fuss over separating indoor and outdoor sports?

The data supports that distinction. Three weeks ago everyone here was happy to point out that outdoor activity is safer than indoor. Did that fact suddenly go away?

If LA is drawing a line at indoor versus outdoor, good for them. They're just following the science.

Organize some outdoor hoops and volleyball, and be done with it.

I made this argument to a friend of mine who is a volleyball coach at a local high school. She said that while practice is possible outdoors, a game isn't. There's too much diving to be done on concrete, plus there are added difficulties such as wind and sun which volleyball players simply aren't capable of without additional training. They don't have cleats as part of their equipment to play on grass. It's why beach volleyball is done on sand, because it's easy to safely dive. She also pointed out neither volleyball nor competitive cheer are covered by outdoor insurance so it's just not possible to play those sports (she didn't know about basketball). She tried to get a few beach volleyball games going but was told the insurance wouldn't cover the sport outdoors.

I made this argument to a friend of mine who is a volleyball coach at a local high school. She said that while practice is possible outdoors, a game isn't. There's too much diving to be done on concrete, plus there are added difficulties such as wind and sun which volleyball players simply aren't capable of without additional training. They don't have cleats as part of their equipment to play on grass. It's why beach volleyball is done on sand, because it's easy to safely dive. She also pointed out neither volleyball nor competitive cheer are covered by outdoor insurance so it's just not possible to play those sports (she didn't know about basketball). She tried to get a few beach volleyball games going but was told the insurance wouldn't cover the sport outdoors.
It's impossible to play volleyball on grass?

News to me. I've played volleyball outside. I didn't have special cleats. Nor did someone give me special training in how to deal with the wind. We just played, and it was fun.

Sounds like coach is allowing the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

I suspect that playing outside for fun is different than playing competitively as they would in an indoor setting.

As anyone heard anything about CSL? Supposedly starting on the weekend of March 20th, but nothing on their website is talking about it. That's only two weeks away.

How close can they push it before putting the schedules out?

It's impossible to play volleyball on grass?

News to me. I've played volleyball outside. I didn't have special cleats. Nor did someone give me special training in how to deal with the wind. We just played, and it was fun.

Sounds like coach is allowing the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

When my son was 9 he had plantar facitis (sp?)and his doctor didn’t want him using cleats for a month. He tried doing goalkeeper training in regular track shoes
with a supported sole. That was the one and only time he did that. Too much slipping and skidding on the grass and almost twisted his ankle. He preferred after that to just sit the 3 weeks and was religious about taking off his cleats and putting on sandals after practice after that.

I suspect that playing outside for fun is different than playing competitively as they would in an indoor setting.

As anyone heard anything about CSL? Supposedly starting on the weekend of March 20th, but nothing on their website is talking about it. That's only two weeks away.

Ventura is suppose to be out next week. There’s apparently been some kind of hold up in la county. Don’t know the nature of it or if it’s been resolved.

We are actually supposed to start 3/13 for Girls U16 Premier. See how that goes.

Back