Would you referee under Massachusetts COVID-19 modified rules?

This one is called more tightly. Girls running around like 8 year old AYSOers when they are afraid to make contact....

Whatever idiots came up with that should be ashamed of themselves. Exhibit A for "political security theater".

Meanwhile in Massachusetts, MLS Next has been playing for over a month with no bastardization of the rules of soccer and no apparent spread of the virus.

So?

If you want the shot to be harder, change the rule to move the ball back 5 yards from the site of the foul.

But the wall itself is a completely unnecessary injury risk. Launching a 1 pound object at 50 mph into someone’s head from a distance of 10 yards. Why? Because we’ve always done it that way.
What a crybaby. Don’t play this rough sport, take your kid to the contactless checkers club

Cant make an argument without a personal attack?

Sorry. Walls are a stupid part of the game. You want to be macho? Be macho with your own head.

Without the wall, if the DFK is near the penalty area, assuming the kicking team has 1 kid that can really smack the ball and place it with reasonable accuracy, it's an automatic goal. The GK can't cover the entire area (or even til around age 11-13 and they learn to extension dive and tip over bar any area outside their immediate bubble).

For the pros forget it: any kicker worth their salt should be able to place it beyond the GKs reach. It just expands the every-pK-is-a-goal problem in soccer, particularly when coupled with the broken handball rule.

Without the wall, if the DFK is near the penalty area, assuming the kicking team has 1 kid that can really smack the ball and place it with reasonable accuracy, it's an automatic goal. The GK can't cover the entire area (or even til around age 11-13 and they learn to extension dive and tip over bar any area outside their immediate bubble).

For the pros forget it: any kicker worth their salt should be able to place it beyond the GKs reach. It just expands the every-pK-is-a-goal problem in soccer, particularly when coupled with the broken handball rule.

So?

Why is an easy goal more important to you than whether we ask 10 year old girls to get clobbered in the head?

So?

Why is an easy goal more important to you than whether we ask 10 year old girls to get clobbered in the head?

GKs get clobbered in the head a lot too and have to go to ground as well to get those loose balls. While we are at it, let's eliminate that position too....

OR

Given you only cite the girls, maybe the game is too rough for them and it should only be allowed for boys???

OR

To be less snarky, the real answer is because it would break the game further than its already broken. if you want to eliminate the wall, you'll have to go in and do major surgery to the rules.....either by fixing the handball rule and trifling rule, or by making the goal smaller. The former has been tried now several times, the latter would encounter a lot of resistance.
The unintended consequences of no walls BTW would be teams recruiting long distance kickers to specifically take these kicks, as in gridiron football.

So?

The odds of getting hit in the head during the run of play are much greater, and more forceful, than from standing in a wall from a free kick. My son was mildly concussed a few weeks ago at practice from a point blank blast during drills. I guess if proper distancing protocols had been followed that wouldn't have happened, shame on us.

If your worried about it, your child could wear a helmet, instead of changing the rules for everyone else that accept the risks of soccer. Huh, I'm having this weird sense of parallel deja vu...not sure why.

To be less snarky, the real answer is because it would break the game further than its already broken. if you want to eliminate the wall, you'll have to go in and do major surgery to the rules.....either by fixing the handball rule and trifling rule, or by making the goal smaller. The former has been tried now several times, the latter would encounter a lot of resistance.
The unintended consequences of no walls BTW would be teams recruiting long distance kickers to specifically take these kicks, as in gridiron football.
The third comment is the one worth responding to.

I think just moving the kick back N yards would be enough rules surgery, provided N depends on age. If a DFK without a wall is too high probability, just increase the distance to make the shot more difficult.

You still have not said why easy goals are worse than telling 10 year old girls to get hit in the head. Because that is what we are doing, right now.

The odds of getting hit in the head during the run of play are much greater, and more forceful, than from standing in a wall from a free kick. My son was mildly concussed a few weeks ago at practice from a point blank blast during drills. I guess if proper distancing protocols had been followed that wouldn't have happened, shame on us.

If your worried about it, your child could wear a helmet, instead of changing the rules for everyone else that accept the risks of soccer. Huh, I'm having this weird sense of parallel deja vu...not sure why.
I’m not talking about mild concussions. Tell me when your son has to drop all sports and miss 3 years of in person school after a concussion. Then you’ll understand.

The third comment is the one worth responding to.

I think just moving the kick back N yards would be enough rules surgery, provided N depends on age. If a DFK without a wall is too high probability, just increase the distance to make the shot more difficult.

You still have not said why easy goals are worse than telling 10 year old girls to get hit in the head. Because that is what we are doing, right now.

Because under the same philosophy: gridiron football, soccer goalkeeping, equestrian, figure skating, ski jumping, water polo, lifts in cheer, and certain aspects of lacrosse and baseball should be banned. You still haven't answered why you are being sexist....why girls and not boys???

Re your rule change....chesterton's fence....if it were that easy they would have fixed the PK using the same method.

I’m not talking about mild concussions. Tell me when your son has to drop all sports and miss 3 years of in person school after a concussion. Then you’ll understand.
From a free kick? Let alone a 10 year old's free kick? I could see two heads colliding for a header maybe causing that kind of damage. My sympathies to you, or anyone in your family if you've had to miss school for 3 years from a soccer ball to the head, but that's beyond rare...if its ever happened.

I know you mean well, but your risk tolerance is microscopically low. You just can't go around trying to change everything to accommodate your risk tolerance. That's what the gift of choice is for. I choose not to have my son play football because I'm not keen on the idea of repeated sub concussive blows to the head at this age. Maybe when he is in high school, but I'd advise him against it. Plus he has plenty of other opportunities to concuss himself with skateboarding, surfing, BMX racing, dirt jumping, parkour...soccer is the least of my worries. Fortunately, he is good about wearing a helmet when he's on a skate or bike. Our family does draw the line at motorcycles, they're verboten.

Unless your kid is Scott Sterling, I think the risk of serious damage from a kicked ball are pretty low.

Because under the same philosophy: gridiron football, soccer goalkeeping, equestrian, figure skating, ski jumping, water polo, lifts in cheer, and certain aspects of lacrosse and baseball should be banned. You still haven't answered why you are being sexist....why girls and not boys???

Re your rule change....chesterton's fence....if it were that easy they would have fixed the PK using the same method.
Average neck strength is weaker in girls. This makes them more susceptible to concussions, and the data reflects this.

Take it up with the physics department if you dont like it. Conservation of momentum means a smaller mass suffers greater acceleration and greater jerk.

Cheer? It really is a bunch of amateurs trying to teach competitive gymnastics without proper safety equipment. Ok by me if they finally address the injury rate in their sport. Go to socalcheer.com and suggest it.

If you watch pro soccer, you will notice head injury is the least of anyone's concern during free kicks. Most of the players in the wall have their hands on the family jewels.

Average neck strength is weaker in girls. This makes them more susceptible to concussions, and the data reflects this.

Take it up with the physics department if you dont like it. Conservation of momentum means a smaller mass suffers greater acceleration and greater jerk.

Cheer? It really is a bunch of amateurs trying to teach competitive gymnastics without proper safety equipment. Ok by me if they finally address the injury rate in their sport. Go to socalcheer.com and suggest it.

My sport growing up was cross country equestrian. Wanna talk reckless sport? My boys have nothing on me. There are very few more reckless, virtually all of them more suited for the extreme sports events than the Olympics.

Back