Would you pay Surf $50,000 a year to raise your child?

I wouldn't.
Obviously positioning against Barca Residency Academy. San Diego is arguably a nicer location, Surf is offering a lower MSRP - but Barca provides substantial scholarships/discounts.

I wouldn't.
I wouldn't either.

Also, if your kid is good enough to do a residency program shouldnt it be free? Or at least low cost? Maybe I'm just not in the know + maybe theres some kind of value add that Surf is offering.

I wouldn't.
No way. I applaud them for getting to the next level of training for boys I guess. No way I would allow my boy to go, no way. I was approached about a girls camp idea for my dd back in 8th grade and I said, "hell no." OM went to Portland and they were chasing 13 year olds to move away from home. No way, no way. I did notice this at the bottom of the info page.

100% of the girls on our first team, and close to 100% of the girls on our second team at U18 received scholarships to play soccer in college in 2019. The intensive training received at Surf Soccer Club, as well as a commitment to the development of the player sets up the conditions to succeed at the highest level. Exposure to hundreds of college coaches at Surf Cup and College Cup gives Surf Soccer Club players the best chance to find a scholarship pathway to college.

Last edited:
Not to be too nick picky, but it's for boys only I believe. Has Surf boys won a natty? It says they won 11 on the page but I think just the girls won, asking for a friend :)

I wouldn't.
For $35,000 you can go to the Philadelphia Union academy and train at an amazing soccer facility and go to an incredible school and be taught in-person by teachers with Doctorate's and Master's degrees. Or you can go to Surf and pay $50,000 for an online education and limited training facilities. (I don't think Union includes the cost of housing).

Special option for eager parents coincident with the final training session-- Navigating the college entrance maze -- a seminar conducted by Mr. William Singer and Mrs. Lori Giannulli.
Oh Espola, you got balls today brother. Soccer take of the day or week or month maybe...... by a long shot :)

If your kid is heading in to high school and you would consider this, it likely means your kid has already been rejected by all of the MLS academies and IMG Academy, but you have a lot of money and you don't like rejection.
Or, maybe this could be viewed as a private elite school that offers a chance to get developed big time as a soccer player as a plus. I know some schools cost $50,000 a year and you get all that training that comes with it and the big Friday night light games. You just dont live at the campus. I do believe some kids get passed up so this could be a very expensive "second chance."

If your kid is heading in to high school and you would consider this, it likely means your kid has already been rejected by all of the MLS academies and IMG Academy, but you have a lot of money and you don't like rejection.
Honestly - if your kid is "good enough" that you'd spend $200k on 4 years of high school and a residential soccer academy - You'd be better off following the Pulisic path and moving to Germany when your kid is 16 (or any other country in Europe).

Honestly - if your kid is "good enough" that you'd spend $200k on 4 years of high school and a residential soccer academy - You'd be better off following the Pulisic path and moving to Germany when your kid is 16 (or any other country in Europe).
Yes and no. These are odd times tim buck. I know parents paying bank for private school and no sleep over. I think this could work for the right family. $50,000 is a drop in the bucket for some people. I knew a rich dad whose kid was bench player for pony league team in Temecula. The rich father thought with the right training and development, his son could be travel ball ready in no time. Son was actually ok player but not travel ball player. Well, over at Pony is where the travel ball coaches recruits players. His kid was not good enough and the dad made it happen like some dads can with money. Money money and more money to gain access!!! My boy played right field for two innings at best and we got no call for travel ball tryouts. Anyway, rich dad basically became best friends ((private 1 v 1 coaching)) with the top coach out in Temecula. He sponsored ((took over)) a travel ball team so his kid could be on the team.

Last edited:
Keeping up with the Joneses....no

Invest the 50k in some stocks or college funds, yes. By the time their ready could have a nice nest egg for them.
Yep. In the 80’s the slogan was “ just say no to drugs” . Now it’s “just say no to youth athletic scams”.

Ahhh, you are all missing the sly puffery. Put out the first ad pricing the value of the service yourself---$50K. Then, recruit kids into the program and tell them you will give them a "scholarship" of 50% or 75%. Makes $15K-$25K sound like a bargain, doesn't it? Then mom/dad can say their kid is "on scholarship" too. Most Surf parents in the regular club program are paying $10K+ already factoring in travel, tournaments, etc. Drop in the bucket for the upper middle class North County San Diego demographic. Camps at $400/pop. Private trainers at $75/hour. Someone should start a hashtag: #surfprivilege . I guess I just did :)

Yes and no. These are odd times tim buck. I know parents paying bank for private school and no sleep over. I think this could work for the right family. $50,000 is a drop in the bucket for some people. I knew a rich dad whose kid was bench player for pony league team in Temecula. The rich father thought with the right training and development, his son could be travel ball ready in no time. Son was actually ok player but not travel ball player. Well, over at Pony is where the travel ball coaches recruits players. His kid was not good enough and the dad made it happen like some dads can with money. Money money and more money to gain access!!! My boy played right field for two innings at best and we got no call for travel ball tryouts. Anyway, rich dad basically became best friends ((private 1 v 1 coaching)) with the top coach out in Temecula. He sponsored ((took over)) a travel ball team so his kid could be on the team.
I see it a lot in girls soccer too lol.

I like the Strikers / Fairmont Athletic Academy model better where they eliminate PE / music elective in lieu of SAQ/strength and soccer training for 6-8 graders

Back