Womens' WC 2019

Canada-New Zealand will be shown at noon on Fox Sports 2 channel, which is 401 on my local Spectrum San Diego lineup.

Canada win or Canada-NZ tie guarantees Canada a spot in the knockout rounds, 1-1 or higher puts NZ as 4th 3rd-place team for the moment. NZ win exceeds my desire to analyze right now.

Time for the "no points for possession" sarcasm although I think it might be pointless in this match (CAN-NZL) since Canada has not had to play the ball out of the back much anyway.

I wonder if VAR will lead creative coaches and defenders to play tricky offside trap moves on free kicks. Without VAR, you have to depend on the AR being aware and competent, but with VAR you can get sub-second half-inch measurements.

As soon as it hits the ground it is in play

On a different forum, it was claimed that even though the ball is live and the first player to touch it may continue with it, a goal either way would not count unless touched by at least one other player on either team.

Another VAR call on the GK line during the penalty? (and again on the second shot, there was a line violation by players)...this one was a closer call since under the new rules she's allowed to take the step forward but it seems her back heel stuttered forward too. Tough as well since that one decided the match.

Also another exceptional performance by a goalkeeper (this one the Chinese keeper....and though granted all Spain's shots were saveable and most didn't carry very much force, it was still a flawless performance).

If Spain could work out a finisher, they could get dangerous.

They play a nice game, just can't get it in the net.

The Chinese keeper did save the few real chances they had.

Back when FIFA/IFAB changed the rule about passing back to the keeper sometime in the 90's, I was only following indoor soccer (Sockers!) and ignorant of the impact for years. When my boys got old enough to play on an organized outdoor team, their coach told me about it. I laughed. How are they going to call THAT? A little research will show that the transition was not smooth, with IFAB having to issue emergency amendments ("...obvious trickery...", lots of debate over the overlapping meanings of "deliberate" and "intentional", etc) when players started taking advantage of the loopholes in the change.

England just scored over Cameroun from an indirect kick as a result of that rule change.

England just scored over Cameroun from an indirect kick as a result of that rule change.

First time I’ve seen it actually happen. *edit: seen the indirect from inside the box

Crazy game. I had it on mute and was trying to figure out the huddle at the end of the first half. I thought Cameroon played strong the second half (or England’s defense isn’t that good).
Gotta find a replay of the Cameroon denied goal. Sure looked onside live.

First time I’ve seen it actually happen. *edit: seen the indirect from inside the box

Crazy game. I had it on mute and was trying to figure out the huddle at the end of the first half. I thought Cameroon played strong the second half (or England’s defense isn’t that good).
Gotta find a replay of the Cameroon denied goal. Sure looked onside live.

The Cameroun attempt was offside - easy to see it with VAR. Before halftime, the Cameroun players were pissed because VAR overruled an offside call that resulted in a goal counting for England.

Is there anyone besides the Brazilian fans and the referee that thought the Brazilian keeper had possession of the ball. Should have been a France goal. Too many fouls in this game and no flow.

Is there anyone besides the Brazilian fans and the referee that thought the Brazilian keeper had possession of the ball. Should have been a France goal. Too many fouls in this game and no flow.
Was possession the call? I had to run out after that. Didnt know if the call was possession, handball or charge. None of which were remotely possible, particularly possession.

Is clear and obvious for VAR not being used in WWC? Sure seems like it.

Back