Women's CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Can someone, anyone, please tell us how much it costs a Spanish, or Dutch, or English or French girl to play elite club soccer at the youth level? Can any of you explain how many club options exist for girls in those countries? Can any of you identify a single non-American girls youth coach in the entire world who is a better than the best that US has to offer? Can someone please identify the fantasy country where girls get the best training in the world for free?

Not many people are claiming it should be free. The European club options for young women and girls are growing and mostly funded through professional clubs who pay for the coaches and and facilities and travel (and education). Their incentives are weighted heavily to finding and developing the best players regardless of the family's socio-economic background.

The incentives in US youth soccer (across genders) are heavily weighted to finding the most players with the socio-economic background to pay as much money per year as they can. Developing players still happens but is secondary as a means to justify the high costs.

The US system has the 'benefit' of creating more opportunities for youths to play organized soccer with mediocre professional coaches who aren't really held accountable to much. But the US is large enough so they will continue to produce within that system. There are some great youth coaches if you are fortunate to live close enough to where they are and can afford it.

I looked at previous U20 rosters and who became stars at NWSL and USWNT, saw about 4 from each roster. Shooting 15-20% on identifying the best of the best. Michelle Cooper and Alyssa Thompson seem like two that will make it. The US college system seems to highlight additional ladies that end up playing for the USWNT. With DA, ECNL, ODP losing it's luster and the new PDP, many girls are getting missed.
A great example is right here in SoCal. CalSouth only picked players to represent ODP at CalSouth State Cup last year and everyone who was in SoCal league was skipped for the 2010 age group.

I suspect they will adjust and come out firing on all cylinders to make up GD. They played the Dutch in JUNE, won in PKs in a tight match. Great opportunity to see how they respond. They looked frustrated and surpised. The Dutch are good, hold possesion and have size/skill. They broke our high press and our backline failed miserably at 1 vs 1 defending.

Next game will be exciting, the US has to run up the score (if they even can). The Dutch will have to do the same.
How’s that Japan game going? I think USA will win big! We’ve got a very impressive paytoplay youth development program!

U20 Japan game another example that our kickball doesn't work against a technical side. The japanese ladies much smaller and slower, but every japanese player better technically than our "star" Moultrie and our big/fast players consistently turn the ball over and don't have the finishing consistency. Keep identifying the early growth girls at 12yrs old USA and riding those players all the way through - you get the same results. This U20 coach clearly doesn't know what she's doing either, but you're never gonna get high quality coaches to take that job. These players have kickball success in college because there isn't a high-quality technical side like Japan in D1. Too bad bc it's beautiful soccer.

U20 Japan game another example that our kickball doesn't work against a technical side. The japanese ladies much smaller and slower, but every japanese player better technically than our "star" Moultrie and our big/fast players consistently turn the ball over and don't have the finishing consistency. Keep identifying the early growth girls at 12yrs old USA and riding those players all the way through - you get the same results. This U20 coach clearly doesn't know what she's doing either, but you're never gonna get high quality coaches to take that job. These players have kickball success in college because there isn't a high-quality technical side like Japan in D1. Too bad bc it's beautiful soccer.
Heard this exact same story the last time Japan won the u20’s. US’s biggest problem/disadvantage is the lack of time the players get to train together in our National Team System.

How’s that Japan game going? I think USA will win big! We’ve got a very impressive paytoplay youth development program!
ha..nanny nanny booboo. Where were you when the U16s were wreaking havoc in Europe? The 17s go to spain shortly. We will see what happens there.

Anyway, that was an awful game. They need to address their back line at this age group. Did they bring the right players? Is that the right coach for this age group? Did the network scouts scout the right player...who was involved in the evaluation and selection. What happened since the Suds tournament...They have plenty to fix....

They did play an excellent game and exploited the mind of the US girls. We could not keep possession and our back line is just out of position...not one player along that back line showed positional acumen. Blowing through CONCACAF did us no favors. One wonders about the coach and the coaching staff.

Also, not a good time of the year - many, many players are back home getting ready for the season.

Mediocre soccer is in the near future for us women’s youth soccer teams. ECNL needs to change get their mindset and focus on continued development rather than just bring the biggest and fastest player out there. You can see on tv how the rest of the world will steamroll through our teams. Pay to play has finally caught up and impacted the quality of our teams compared to the rest of the world. The women’s Euro cup this summer displayed some incredible soccer that will put the USA team way behind in a few years.

So you're saying that the college season is more important to these girls? For some reason, I always thought the main goal was to be an Olympian...
Great question - how much influence do the top college coaches have in this scenario? I suppose what we shouldn't do is provide an excuse for their poor performance. This same age group did well in Europe earlier this summer. What changed?

Mediocre soccer is in the near future for us women’s youth soccer teams. ECNL needs to change get their mindset and focus on continued development rather than just bring the biggest and fastest player out there. You can see on tv how the rest of the world will steamroll through our teams. Pay to play has finally caught up and impacted the quality of our teams compared to the rest of the world. The women’s Euro cup this summer displayed some incredible soccer that will put the USA team way behind in a few years.
I don't get his point of view. Where were you when they played very well in Europe a few months ago against the best Euro teams? I've seen on TV the younger teams steamroll every team in the world. One age group has a bad tournmanet and that means the death of US women's soccer? I don't get it.

A likely scenario is the Dutch learned from their last meeting and adjusted as needed. The Japanese saw the same weakness in this particular team and exploited it. Obviously the US coaching staff didn't do their homework or prepared their players for some adversity.

The Dutch and the Japanese have had solid programs for some years.

1660833727654.png

Great question - how much influence do the top college coaches have in this scenario? I suppose what we shouldn't do is provide an excuse for their poor performance. This same age group did well in Europe earlier this summer. What changed?
Collage coaches and US olympic coaches have the same issues in the US with soccer. Everything is short term, based on the now vs building a team that plays possession + knows each other inside out.

Japan as a culture values tradition + working at something over and over as a group.

I dont see the US changing because theres nothing pushing for a change. Youth soccer is 10 years with 4-5 of actually playing, college is 4 years with maybe 2 years of actual game time, and pro is just a game of trying to pick the top talent to field a team. All groups (Youth, College, Pro) are different + players are essentially starting over at each level.

In Europe + other parts of the world clubs start with youth + shape them until they're ready to play pro. A single group controls the players. This gives them the time to properly train teams + players on possession.

Now that larger clubs have embraced training women. The USWNT will likely start having a more difficult time getting the wins.

Lot's of younger players on this team. 16 and 17 years old. I think based on our record with the the real World Cup, we will be right there trying to win the Cup. These younger WC's are not that important. The younger players like OM got some great experience. I can see with my eyes that possession is not looking good for the USA and that sucks. I hope we can play a better style. I saw a lot of kickball. I also think we should form a California B Team to scrimmage them before they go and play. Beating teams 7-0, 14-0 is not helping against Japan and Netherlands.

Collage coaches and US olympic coaches have the same issues in the US with soccer. Everything is short term, based on the now vs building a team that plays possession + knows each other inside out.

Japan as a culture values tradition + working at something over and over as a group.

I dont see the US changing because theres nothing pushing for a change. Youth soccer is 10 years with 4-5 of actually playing, college is 4 years with maybe 2 years of actual game time, and pro is just a game of trying to pick the top talent to field a team. All groups (Youth, College, Pro) are different + players are essentially starting over at each level.

In Europe + other parts of the world clubs start with youth + shape them until they're ready to play pro. A single group controls the players. This gives them the time to properly train teams + players on possession.

Now that larger clubs have embraced training women. The USWNT will likely start having a more difficult time getting the wins.
Yup, so true bro. In France and Italy, the girls play for fun and at around 14, they separate the top top players and form a "Top players league" through academies. Level 1, 2, 3 and 4 at most countries. Grade/SAT reporting are not required for the 7th and 8th grader at these professional academies for the top top players only league and not top students who know how to play kickball and smashball. All promotion and relegation is how a club moves up in Euro. The other girls not invited at the top players only league, play co-ed rec ball the rest of their life or try and prove the scouts wrong and get private coaching. In the USA, it's pay to play. Also, stay, pay and then play. It's not just about soccer over here in the States. You also better have really excellent grades, excellent SAT, excellent mom & dad with lot's of cash to pay to play and you better be the nicest human ever and volunteer any extra time you do have with helping others and never worry about yourself first.

Last edited:
Where were you when the U16s were wreaking havoc in Europe? The 17s go to spain shortly.

I am interested to see what happens with the u17s. The u16s played subpar opponents - that was a club-payoff window dressing show with little scouting due to Covid. Don't pay any attention, just like don't pay attention to CONCACAF blowouts. They are meaningless (except the games v. Canada :) )

Typically, US early-maturing players can still overpower most of the smaller and slower international girls at 15/16 years old (there are exceptions like Nigeria). Then they catch up by 18/19. US U20 record is pathetic historically because of that. Plenty of 18/19 year old girls in this country to choose from for that team - shouldn't be any 16 or 17 year olds on it. But Nike has a say, of course, unfortunately.

Bottom line, Japanese and Dutch girls (and Spain) at the same age are more technical players than ours. That has nothing to do with playing together longer, etc. And, I think we are starting to see this same fact start to play out on the full national team with the new players being brought in - fast, strong, but not technical.

Also, note, to those complaining about the defense...yes, Japan and Netherlands scored 3 goals each. But, US offense only scored once in those two games, and that goal was a bit fortuitous.

I am interested to see what happens with the u17s. The u16s played subpar opponents - that was a club-payoff window dressing show with little scouting due to Covid. Don't pay any attention, just like don't pay attention to CONCACAF blowouts. They are meaningless (except the games v. Canada :) )

Typically, US early-maturing players can still overpower most of the smaller and slower international girls at 15/16 years old (there are exceptions like Nigeria). Then they catch up by 18/19. US U20 record is pathetic historically because of that. Plenty of 18/19 year old girls in this country to choose from for that team - shouldn't be any 16 or 17 year olds on it. But Nike has a say, of course, unfortunately.

Bottom line, Japanese and Dutch girls (and Spain) at the same age are more technical players than ours. That has nothing to do with playing together longer, etc. And, I think we are starting to see this same fact start to play out on the full national team with the new players being brought in - fast, strong, but not technical.

Also, note, to those complaining about the defense...yes, Japan and Netherlands scored 3 goals each. But, US offense only scored once in those two games, and that goal was a bit fortuitous.
Has nothing to do with playing together longer?

Please elaborate on how “technically skilled”individuals win games and not how 11 players work together in a system.

Yup, so true bro. In France and Italy, the girls play for fun and at around 14, they separate the top top players and form a "Top players league" through academies. Level 1, 2, 3 and 4 at most countries. Grade/SAT reporting are not required for the 7th and 8th grader at these professional academies for the top top players only league and not top students who know how to play kickball and smashball. All promotion and relegation is how a club moves up in Euro. The other girls not invited at the top players only league, play co-ed rec ball the rest of their life or try and prove the scouts wrong and get private coaching. In the USA, it's pay to play. Also, stay, pay and then play. It's not just about soccer over here in the States. You also better have really excellent grades, excellent SAT, excellent mom & dad with lot's of cash to pay to play and you better be the nicest human ever and volunteer any extra time you do have with helping others and never worry about yourself first.
I have a daughter that tends to play both with girls and boys, also shes attended both boys + girls camps, and recently a camp hosted by a European club.

Things I noticed...
- Boys camps are less cost then girls camps
- Boys tend to just play + not think (girls overthink things)
- Boys coaches are indifferent to coaching girls. As long as they're good + roughly the same level as the boys.
- The European club coaches were very interested to start working with girls/womens teams

I think the euro interest in working with the girls was that its something different, they were trying to figure out how to work with girls, they have respect for womens soccer in the US, and finally they were trying to determine levels + quality of training that US girls had received.

I got the feeling that the euro coaches know that womens sports are on the verge of breaking out + they wanted to be ready for it.

Sure cause you have so much experience with overseas players….right?

Has nothing to do with playing together longer?

Please elaborate on how “technically skilled”individuals win games and not how 11 players work together in a system.
watch the game - so many 1v1 situations that the japanese win and our players do not in similar situations. Has nothing to do with playing with others, just knowing how to better move with the ball, fake, turn, collect, pass with proper weight, and finish. Those are all individual skills and have nothing to do with team dynamics like knowing where another player is going to be or pressing together, etc. "Playing together longer" is an often used excuse when the US loses. And, sometimes, it's not even true. It's not like these other international teams are playing together year round - the girls play for different club teams and colleges too. Japan's goalie plays at East Tennessee State.

Sure cause you have so much experience with overseas players….right?
Mums the word about what I know about this and that over their across the seas bruh. I don't know nothing about anything with regards to anything soccer in the States or overseas. I just have opinion from my 11 years of experience and nothing else. I think ((if it's ok with you oh wise one, that I think on my own and give opinion on youth soccer forum)) this U20 squad did their best and I agree with you that this team had no time to jell together, build team chemistry in the system and it was a young squad and no way they put the top U20 eligible players on this team. We will be just find when it really matters. Plus, these girls have given up a lot to be on this team and I wish them all 100% success, especially representing our awesome country. Did I want and expect this team to advance out of group, yes because I love our country and believe we are winners. We live another day :)

Back