Womens College Coaching Hotseat

Gonna add an aside:

the turnover at D1 schools is so interesting. The number of programs that originally recruited my kid who now have different coaches as she prepares to finish HS and start college is not insignificant and I’m guessing others have similar experiences. In one case, the coach who was there has been replaced by a coach who was interested in her for a different school. Maybe what’s more interesting is the stability - not the ones where there is a consistent track record of success (Stanford, UNC, FSU, Santa Clara, UCLA, USC, etc) because that is somewhat obvious - but rather programs with little consistency where coaches have remained beyond a full recruiting cycle (I won’t mention any specific programs). This is observational and does go to point that many make - commit to the school and athletic dept as much or more than to the coach.

Gonna add an aside:

the turnover at D1 schools is so interesting. The number of programs that originally recruited my kid who now have different coaches as she prepares to finish HS and start college is not insignificant and I’m guessing others have similar experiences. In one case, the coach who was there has been replaced by a coach who was interested in her for a different school. Maybe what’s more interesting is the stability - not the ones where there is a consistent track record of success (Stanford, UNC, FSU, Santa Clara, UCLA, USC, etc) because that is somewhat obvious - but rather programs with little consistency where coaches have remained beyond a full recruiting cycle (I won’t mention any specific programs). This is observational and does go to point that many make - commit to the school and athletic dept as much or more than to the coach.

Along that line of thought - make friends with the top assistant coach at colleges you visit. They might get a head coaching job somewhere else next year and be looking for immediate signings to prove their worth.

I would say this is a great hire by UOP. They can only trend upwards and even if the job is a stepping stone it should help his resume. Though I would have to add that I'm not sure UOP belongs in the WCC maybe the WAC and move SU to the WCC.

I would say this is a great hire by UOP. They can only trend upwards and even if the job is a stepping stone it should help his resume. Though I would have to add that I'm not sure UOP belongs in the WCC maybe the WAC and move SU to the WCC.
Uop definitely belongs in the WCC.

Men’s soccer kicked ass and made the tournament 3x with 2 kids drafted in the MLS. Regularly beat Pac-12 schools.
Women’s and men’s basketball doing well.
Other sports around .500

Women’s soccer has struggled since leaving the Big West. Coleman fell behind in the recruiting game and got complacent. Leyland then hired an under qualified coach who had a losing record at Delaware St.

What’s the hold up at St Mary’s naming a new coach? Salary?

Your "breaking news" has become so reliable that when I saw an alert on this, I immediately thought, "Gaels?"

I think that is a really difficult place to staff for women's sports and to recruit compared to other similar schools. Yes, they got it right with Ratcliffe but that is the exception that proves the rule. I know Moraga really well (grew up w/in the sounds of the bells) and it's a beautiful campus and Randy Bennett has build something exciting with men's hoops but not sure that can be replicated in women's soccer at present. So I doubt it is $$$ but simply finding the right candidate who wants to use it as a bridge or, maybe, a last stop. Neither is particularly inspiring if you want to build a program. I hope they do find the right hire - I know some players who are there and others who have committed and I want them to have as great an experience as is possible. (it is also such a pleasant venue to watch a game - seeing SCU or BYU or Pepp in a competitive game there . . . a delightful way to spend a couple of hours)

Two asst. coaches from successful D1 programs head to LMU and Pacific (both young teams w talent)

Established winning coach heads to SMC.

Will be a battle for spots 4 to 6.

man, that is a GREAT hire. She did a good job at ND. Lets hope she can recruit to Moraga like she could to south bend. Best of luck!

I"ve heard nothing but good things about her. My daughter's soccer mate was recruited to ND when she was the head coach and decided to go to Cal after she resigned. I hope she gets good results in her first year but will take some time to get it rolling. How good are the returners and incoming freshman?

Back