Womens College Coaching Hotseat

Problem with Oregon is they are in a conference with:

USC, CAL, UCLA, Stanford, etc. all elite schools.

most recruiters use that as an advantage. Playing in the best conference (arguably) in the nation, national exposure...should be an easy sell. I would exclude Cal from there...they haven't been a factor in a long time. They had a good bounce back year but still a ways to go. Next year's recruiting classs should be good and it'll be interesting to see what transfers they get.

They literally hired a zero everything. If it were a place like Davis, I would understand, but its Oregon and they're in the Pac 12.

So whom do you hire in the pac 12? Or, at least, who appears on your list of target candidates?

I have zero way of knowing the level of responsibility of a coaching candidate with years as an assistant and none as a HC. He may have been involved in all aspects or in limited ways. We just don’t know (well, I’ll just speak for myself). But those who interview the candidates do and those who act as references do. Unless one is an insider and knows all the candidates who were turned away or who turned them away, it’s folly to speculate. Until we see what happens. And that’s always the risk with a new hire who has not been a HC at a power 5 school.

So whom do you hire in the pac 12? Or, at least, who appears on your list of target candidates?

I have zero way of knowing the level of responsibility of a coaching candidate with years as an assistant and none as a HC. He may have been involved in all aspects or in limited ways. We just don’t know (well, I’ll just speak for myself). But those who interview the candidates do and those who act as references do. Unless one is an insider and knows all the candidates who were turned away or who turned them away, it’s folly to speculate. Until we see what happens. And that’s always the risk with a new hire who has not been a HC at a power 5 school.

TBH, like you i don't know who's good, upcoming crummy, or just plain old lucky. I made a comment last year that I thought Jen Klien would get run out of Michigan because I thought she was a TERRIBLE X's and O's coach (saw her at many ODP/regional trainings through the years) and they had a hell of a run.

One old college football coach once said (paraphrasing) that you can have the best coach on a team full of unathletic people and will have the same results. On the flip side, you can have a coach who's a GREAT recruiter and subpar coach and he/she will do wonders. I think that college soccer is full of subpar coaches that can recruit. It's no wonder why Stanford, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Virginia, Florida State have are always in the mix. Great location with great college life AND more importantly, pretty good degree after all is said and done. Who wouldn't be chompiin at the bit to go to one of these schools??

TBH, like you i don't know who's good, upcoming crummy, or just plain old lucky. I made a comment last year that I thought Jen Klien would get run out of Michigan because I thought she was a TERRIBLE X's and O's coach (saw her at many ODP/regional trainings through the years) and they had a hell of a run.

One old college football coach once said (paraphrasing) that you can have the best coach on a team full of unathletic people and will have the same results. On the flip side, you can have a coach who's a GREAT recruiter and subpar coach and he/she will do wonders. I think that college soccer is full of subpar coaches that can recruit. It's no wonder why Stanford, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Virginia, Florida State have are always in the mix. Great location with great college life AND more importantly, pretty good degree after all is said and done. Who wouldn't be chompiin at the bit to go to one of these schools??
Jen Klein was the reason they did as well as they did at SC. How are the X's and O's at SC now? They have been playing donkey ball for the last 2 years.

Excellent hire. Great coach, excellent rep. The fact that he's a GK coach is, IMHO, advantageous as well for all perspectives of the game.

"Excellent hire, great coach..." and this is because he has been the head coach of what team?

For the Pac12, I for one would only hire someone with minimum of 3 years of head coaching, or associate head coaching experience, just enough to have some sort of clue as to what they are about as a head coach. Just my opinion.

Jen Klein was the reason they did as well as they did at SC. How are the X's and O's at SC now? They have been playing donkey ball for the last 2 years.

I've always thought that USC beat people with pure athleticism, not with their technical play. I would argue that MOST of the top 25 teams are in the same ship, although it's transitioning (slowly) to a more technical and possession type of game. At Michigan, she's done a good job of doing both, but when the chips are down, it's "donkey ball" all the way. USC lost to the eventual national champs 3-2 so donkey ball is doing well, i suppose. lol

As I said before, if you get good players you can be a sub par coach and still be successful. But get good players AND have someone good at the helm, and it's the perfect combo.

Back