Why didn't Chiellini get a red card?

I was pulling for Italy to win the game. I think Chiellini should have gotten a red card for the two handed jersey/collar pull down of Sterling. Why do the current implementation of FIFA laws allow defenders so much leeway when fouling offensive players from behind?

I was pulling for Italy to win the game. I think Chiellini should have gotten a red card for the two handed jersey/collar pull down of Sterling. Why do the current implementation of FIFA laws allow defenders so much leeway when fouling offensive players from behind?
I believe it wasn't considered DOGSO (Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity) which would be a red card and was considered SPA (stopping a promising attack) which is a yellow card.

They would have had to classify it as some other offense, such as violent conduct, to give it a red. Typically, a shirt tug wouldn’t qualify as violent, although this was around the neck so I suppose there is some argument.

Thought the officiating was good overall and better vs semi's.

Sterlings rep as a flopper, good actor, and a player that goes down if he's in box on any contact no matter what maybe didn't help. He seems more interested in acting vs staying on his feet and making plays, shame with all the talent he has.

Glad the players decided the game, Italy managed subs better, higher soccer iq, and the right players when it counted.

SAKA…Not Sterling… A great 19 year old player being pulled down by a tired old man.

Red Card

SAKA…Not Sterling… A great 19 year old player being pulled down by a tired old man.

Red Card

Missed his PK much like the England manager who also did when he had his chance. He sent Rashford and Sancho into the game in the 120th minute with an eye toward penalty kicks. All three didn't convert, game over. When you have the opportunity but don't come through others gets the glory and celebration with there entire country.

I didn't think many people on here watch mens soccer on TV.
Glad to see some healthy debate on the Euro.
How about Argentina v Brazil? I thought it was a fantastic, ugly game. Ton of heart from both teams.

This kind of foul is never red. But maybe they should change the rules to make it red, make the beautiful game truly beautiful. I’m tired of watching rugby tackles on Messi or Neymar to stop them from possibly making a beautiful highlight.
There are times it appears ref’s are afraid of making a call of that degree with a game of this stature. Yet, it was Chiellini who was willing to change the course of that play at all costs.

I didn't think many people on here watch mens soccer on TV.
Glad to see some healthy debate on the Euro.
How about Argentina v Brazil? I thought it was a fantastic, ugly game. Ton of heart from both teams.

Bars packed for both games down by the shore

+310 Argentina Win in regular time
+140 Italy to lift trophy
+110 under 2.5 both games

All the above plus other parlays and it was a good weekend. No worries in PK, just another drink.

This kind of foul is never red. But maybe they should change the rules to make it red, make the beautiful game truly beautiful. I’m tired of watching rugby tackles on Messi or Neymar to stop them from possibly making a beautiful highlight.
They need a penalty box like hockey. Send them off for 5 minutes and play shorthanded for a yellow in the flow of play (as opposed to arguing a call). After the 3rd by a team, make the next one 10 minutes in the box.

That kind of foul should be a red. It is not soccer and is certainly not in the spirit of the game. Soccer is already a low scoring game. The offensive player already made a move good enough to get by the defender. Once a defender is beat, they should have to work hard to catch up and apply pressure, not basically just cheat and drag or slide tackle the player down from behind. No wonder offensive players have to learn to dive at an early age, if not they would get hacked to death.

I thought it was a red, excessive force and Saka would have burned the other Italian defenders for pace, plus Sterling would have burned them in support. Chiellini knew all that (lack of pace in Italian defense) and so he took him out. Remember that Spinazzolla was the speedster in the Italian defense.

I also though Neymar was excellent for Brazil in the Copa final and multiple Argentinians could have seen red for some of the tackles on him, esp. in the final minutes - border line assault at one point. He also showed that he can stay on his feet if needed.

Generally, I noticed that the referees in both tournaments tended to ignore the theatrics early in games and gave little to nothing for them. Then, lo and behold, after 15 minutes or so, the players stopped with the collapsing and writhing in agony over any slight touch and just got on with it. The games were the better for it.

Back