Who's playing What?

Las Vegas Surf - beats the top east coast team at SuperCopa yet they are a not an ECNL or GA team? What league do they play next season...boys?

That is a great question. The parents were told once they have girls teams in each age, they should get into ECNL. Until that happens, the top players Las Vegas Surf will be rostered with San Diego Surf ECNL.

Don’t shoot me, this is what I was told by more than one of the parents.

That is a great question. The parents were told once they have girls teams in each age, they should get into ECNL. Until that happens, the top players Las Vegas Surf will be rostered with San Diego Surf ECNL.

Don’t shoot me, this is what I was told by more than one of the parents.
Likely as Discovery Players

Oh, I had mentioned it a couple months ago but it is indeed the entire Players team that moved to Surf plus a couple others. One player stayed at Players.

Yikes, just saw they put Houston Dynamo Dash in the 2nd tier. That is a mistake and hopefully corrected. In case you didn't know, Dash won the USYS 2008 Texas South State, went undefeated in group play at 2008 South Regionals and then they only lost 1-0 in the USYS Southern Regional Semifinal to the USYS 2008 National Champions, Anbry SABR. Anbry beat the #3 ranked 2008 team in the US to take the National Championship.

To be blunt, I think Dash Dynamo would have a good chance at winning even the top tier. We are talking about a team that has already played a year's worth of 11v11 and showed that they can hang with the best a year up. That is the only team I see that should be moved up.

Yikes, just saw they put Houston Dynamo Dash in the 2nd tier. That is a mistake and hopefully corrected. In case you didn't know, Dash won the USYS 2008 Texas South State, went undefeated in group play at 2008 South Regionals and then they only lost 1-0 in the USYS Southern Regional Semifinal to the USYS 2008 National Champions, Anbry SABR. Anbry beat the #3 ranked 2008 team in the US to take the National Championship.

To be blunt, I think Dash Dynamo would have a good chance at winning even the top tier. We are talking about a team that has already played a year's worth of 11v11 and showed that they can hang with the best a year up. That is the only team I see that should be moved up.
I’m sure this is a fantastic team, but if you are cruising through 2008 USYS, aren’t you avoiding pretty much any 2008 ECNL, ECRL, GA, or DPL team and playing against teams that don’t have any of those players? Hasn’t the top been essentially skimmed off 2008 USYS by then?

Again, probably a fantastic team, and maybe there’s a case for them to be in the top flight, but that top flight is 2009’s top ECNL teams.

Possible I’m looking at it all wrong with USYS.

I remember within Southern California people were talking about the Legends 2009 team cruising through spring season in SCDSL flight 1 in 2008, when someone (@rainbow_unicorn i believe) made a similar observation about the 2008 competition (top skimmed off) that they would’ve had better competition within 2009.

I’m sure this is a fantastic team, but if you are cruising through 2008 USYS, aren’t you avoiding pretty much any 2008 ECNL, ECRL, GA, or DPL team and playing against teams that don’t have any of those players? Hasn’t the top been essentially skimmed off 2008 USYS by then?

***Edit, failed to mention that USYS seems to vary drastically across the country but still falls off at U14***

Again, probably a fantastic team, and maybe there’s a case for them to be in the top flight, but that top flight is 2009’s top ECNL teams.

Possible I’m looking at it all wrong with USYS.

I remember within Southern California people were talking about the Legends 2009 team cruising through spring season in SCDSL flight 1 in 2008, when someone (@rainbow_unicorn i believe) made a similar observation about the 2008 competition (top skimmed off) that they would’ve had better competition within 2009.

I certainly agree with some of the USYS competition but once you get to Regionals and nationals at the U12 and U13 groups, the top teams tend to be on par with ECNL and GA teams. Actually, Michigan Nationals U13 GA team participated in USYS Nationals this year. They are ranked #3 in the US, higher than Solar ECNL, PDA, and LAFC Slammers ECNL. They also played some ECNL teams during the Spring and had good results.

Anbry SABR, who beat Nationals in the final, played the 2009 Solar ECNL team in the finals and won by the same margin as they did over 2009 Houston Dynamo Dash. Anbry also had a win over Tophat Gold 2008 GA this spring.

IMO, USYS has a sharp drop off at age U14. Like, extremely sharp with a couple of outliers.

Look, I'm just giving some of you who enjoy this kind of thing a heads up. If there was a team that should be in the top bracket and beat most in the top bracket but for some reason got stuck in 2nd bracket, I would want to know.

@chiefs mentioned YSR and the Texas teams and I agree somewhat...Solar ECNL is certainly a top 3 team now if not the best team in the US. This is because similar to Slammers, it's the best of 4 already very good teams combined. This Solar team is much better than the one at Surf Cup 2019. They played together at the Southern Regionals, and as previously mentioned, took the 2008 Nat'l Champion down to the wire.

As for the other teams, none are in the same realm as Solar ECNL. The Solar RL just took the 2nd highest rated 2009 Solar team on YSR and changed their name. I watched them play at Super Copa and have a very good idea of where they sit. Don't get me wrong, they are still a very good team especially for RL (Solar seems to always have the top RL team anyways), but would liken them to the Eagles 2009 team. If Solar RL is the "B" team, than Solar ECNL has got to be truly spectacular.

DKSC RL has not changed it's name yet and lost also lost a couple players. They are still extremely good.

My impression of the teams at SuperCopa. I do think Matchfit wins more often than not is a series against Las Vegas.
1. Las Vegas Surf
2. Matchfit
3. Michigan Nationals
4. Eclipse Select (Next years ECNL team, the name "West" is decieving)
5. South Shore Select

Best teams I have seen in person play.
1. PDA
2. Matchfit
3. Las Vegas Surf
4. Michigan Nationals
5. Loudoun ECNL

Just came across this site. My daughter plays for the LV Surf Select squad. So cool to see all the discussion about the whole scene. Super Copa was an absolute blast and looking forward to Surf Cup.

Is that the same team playing Discovery in the Socal league in the fall?
Yes it is. Unfortunately there is only one ECNL sanctioned club here in Vegas. Seems they have a strangle hold on it for some reason, so So Cal Discovery NPL it is. Are there any top flight teams that will be playing in the SoCal Discovery league that you know of?

Yes it is. Unfortunately there is only one ECNL sanctioned club here in Vegas. Seems they have a strangle hold on it for some reason, so So Cal Discovery NPL it is. Are there any top flight teams that will be playing in the SoCal Discovery league that you know of?
My vote is for Las Vegas surf to win it all and shove it in the Face of the ECNL dictatorship. On the lower brackets, I am rooting for Fullerton Rangers to represent north Oc.

LV Surf is going to travel down to SoCal every week to play league???

My vote is for Las Vegas surf to win it all and shove it in the Face of the ECNL dictatorship. On the lower brackets, I am rooting for Fullerton Rangers to represent north Oc.
Well there was a reason on why DA had a strangle hold on ECNL, and the top So Cal talent left for DA. But that's another discussion...

ECNL should have two Vegas teams and two AZ teams. Would promote better competition and facilitate scheduling as So Cal teams can play Sat/Sun against AZ or NV teams when they travel there.

ECNL should have two Vegas teams and two AZ teams. Would promote better competition and facilitate scheduling as So Cal teams can play Sat/Sun against AZ or NV teams when they travel there.
3 ECNL clubs in AZ and 1 in NV. 1 GA team in AZ and 2 in NV. Hard to consolidate talent at any age group.

Reactions: LVB
I think it’s a jab at the teams that are in that they are not ranked high enough in ysr for their liking .
Normally discovery is play in, the top flight one teams from year before get in. Now, half of the teams played flight ii last year and have not done well in tournaments this summer. Seems strange to me.

Well, this is the list of teams:

G2009 Discovery NPL
Beach FC 2009 Ko.Kutscher
Beach FC 2009 W. Lopez
CDA Slammers FC - HB G09 Elite
Las Vegas Surf SC Select G2009
Rangers FC G 2009 White
Sand and Surf SC G09 Elite
So Cal Blues G2009 Draluck
South Slammers FC G09 Elite

We have to consider that most of the flight one teams (from the last actual season,2019) have moved to either ECNL, ECRL or GA, so that left the door open for some teams to petition for Discovery.
2021 spring league and earlier tournaments results were also greatly affected by roster changes in my opinion.

Back