What's your best guess as to when trainings will resume?

If the virus is not imparting immunity, the vaccine will not impart immunity. Just FYI..... A vaccine uses destroyed (simplistic term), "dead" (simplistic term) or in some cases living virus to make the body have an antibody response without actually contracting the disease. The one US vaccine entering stage 2 trials this week states an antibody response on par with those recovered from covid.

First, thank you for your attempt to get this post back on track.
Second, that is really great that San Diego is presenting a plan of action and I am hopeful it works.

My question to all the OC people (except ellejustus or his many alias') if LA county decides NO YOUTH SPORTS and San Diego county has youth sports or is at least starting to train and slowly opening back up, what does OC do? Just from what I am seeing as I drive around, I would think OC wants to open up? Is anyone seeing something different or thinks OC will side more with what LA does?

Sorry, but this is false. There is no evidence that recovering from the virus imparts immunity. There is growing evidence that you can get reinfected after only 6 weeks. And the idea that we should get sick to prevent getting sick is... not particularly rational.
So what do you suggest? Staying home until a cure is found? This must be working for you, but not for others. You can stay home as long as you want but don't force other people.

First, thank you for your attempt to get this post back on track.
Second, that is really great that San Diego is presenting a plan of action and I am hopeful it works.

My question to all the OC people (except ellejustus or his many alias') if LA county decides NO YOUTH SPORTS and San Diego county has youth sports or is at least starting to train and slowly opening back up, what does OC do? Just from what I am seeing as I drive around, I would think OC wants to open up? Is anyone seeing something different or thinks OC will side more with what LA does?
The personality of OC seems more comparable to San Diego than LA. I'm not sure why any county would want to hitch its cart to LA...for any issue.

Sorry, but this is false. There is no evidence that recovering from the virus imparts immunity. There is growing evidence that you can get reinfected after only 6 weeks. And the idea that we should get sick to prevent getting sick is... not particularly rational.
quick question: do you have pointers to data/reports on folks getting reinfected? genuine question.

been wondering about this but hadn't seen any info on it yet. had some family members get sick in mid-March.

One was sick - but not diagnosed - first, and then a week later her husband got sick and was diagnosed. She did not get sick again despite remaining in close quarters for two weeks with her husband, while he was sick so the working family assumption was that she had the CV bug and that imparted immunity, at least in the short term.

quick question: do you have pointers to data/reports on folks getting reinfected? genuine question.

been wondering about this but hadn't seen any info on it yet. had some family members get sick in mid-March.

One was sick - but not diagnosed - first, and then a week later her husband got sick and was diagnosed. She did not get sick again despite remaining in close quarters for two weeks with her husband, while he was sick so the working family assumption was that she had the CV bug and that imparted immunity, at least in the short term.
There have been reports of reinfection, but so far its seems that it has been due to limitations of the testing and not actual reinfection.

Just from what I am seeing as I drive around, I would think OC wants to open up?
I think you just described the definition of an anecdotal evidence :).

In any case, here is the actual data without commentary. You can reach your own conclusion whether OC should open up more aggressively or more conservatively.

If the virus is not imparting immunity, the vaccine will not impart immunity. Just FYI..... A vaccine uses destroyed (simplistic term), "dead" (simplistic term) or in some cases living virus to make the body have an antibody response without actually contracting the disease. The one US vaccine entering stage 2 trials this week states an antibody response on par with those recovered from covid.

WTF? really

WTF? really
Your body has an antibody response (without contracting the disease) and creates memory cells that have the ability to create the proper antibodies should you be exposed to the disease at a later time. These antibodies fight the disease quick enough that you never have a viral load high enough to show symptoms/be contagious. Some memory cells last a long time, some a short time. This is why you need boosters of certain vaccines (or they can run a titer which will be able to tell if you have the appropriate protection).

Sorry for the bio lesson...some of this is just driving me nuts.

Here is a nice summary article from JAMA (kind of wonky but non-sensationalized). To date no reinfections have been confirmed in the strict sense of having an "active" infection also to date no clinically-recovered person has been shown to spread the virus to a non-infected person. That is the good news.

However it is still early days -- our understanding of the immune response to the virus is still growing and number of questions still remain -- what level/type of antibody do you need to produce to be immune (varying levels have been observed in those infected and small fraction of infected people do not develop any antibodies), how long does this immunity last (weeks vs. months vs. years) and once you have immunity this may prevent you from developing any symptoms upon reinfection but does this prevent you from shedding the virus and infecting others?

These same questions apply when developing an effective vaccine.

Your body has an antibody response (without contracting the disease) and creates memory cells that have the ability to create the proper antibodies should you be exposed to the disease at a later time. These antibodies fight the disease quick enough that you never have a viral load high enough to show symptoms/be contagious. Some memory cells last a long time, some a short time. This is why you need boosters of certain vaccines (or they can run a titer which will be able to tell if you have the appropriate protection).

Sorry for the bio lesson...some of this is just driving me nuts.
Nice MB5, but I need another lesson. Is there any reason to believe the anti-bodies produced from getting COVID-19 would NOT give immunity? A related question - Is there any reason to believe the vaccines that they are working on for COVID-19 are less likely to be effective than the flu vaccine that is produced every year? (assume they guessed right on the flu virus that would be present to remove that uncertainty)

The personality of OC seems more comparable to San Diego than LA. I'm not sure why any county would want to hitch its cart to LA...for any issue.

Riverside and San Bernardino seem to be leaning towards LA currently.....Ventura against (the health advisor there doesn't believe in masks as much and is a little more grounded, even if he was bullied by Newsom into some beach restrictions)

p.s. never been happier my kid plays on that side of the county line....LA County is in Garcetti's pocket and Garcetti is a germaphobe with some weird predilictions: his rules may secretly represent his preferred state even in normal times.

Nice MB5, but I need another lesson. Is there any reason to believe the anti-bodies produced from getting COVID-19 would NOT give immunity? A related question - Is there any reason to believe the vaccines that they are working on for COVID-19 are less likely to be effective than the flu vaccine that is produced every year? (assume they guessed right on the flu virus that would be present to remove that uncertainty)
Some are completely different technology. And it is possible for a vaccine to actually make things worse.

Not in the anti-vax sense. But some vaccines dont reach people because they are rejected for safety.

Everything I have ever learned/taught about immune system tells me that people who have had the virus/vaccine will be immune to the current covid strain that is circulating. The CDC/WHO can't come out and say with 99% accuracy because there hasn't been any big studies yet. Between those that have had it and when the vaccine comes out we will be able to fully move on with life and death rates/infections will fall.

That said we can get the flu/common cold every year because they mutate. Covid will mutate. But that doesn't mean that when it mutates we will be back in the same situation. Studies have shown that the flu vaccine while not 100% effective against all strains of the flu does help mediate immune response and reduce the length of illness for all flus (as does having had and recovered from the different flus). The reason why the old people didn't get hit as hard during H1N1 is because it was similar to the spanish flu and therefore the older generation had some immunity.

The Phase 2 rules in some areas seem to allow outdoor businesses that practice social distancing and do not have shared equipment.

So, maybe cone work in parallel. Has anyone had luck getting approval for a within rules group practice of any kind?

( I know some teams are just ignoring the rules. I’m not interested in that. )

Everything I have ever learned/taught about immune system tells me that people who have had the virus/vaccine will be immune to the current covid strain that is circulating. The CDC/WHO can't come out and say with 99% accuracy because there hasn't been any big studies yet. Between those that have had it and when the vaccine comes out we will be able to fully move on with life and death rates/infections will fall.

That said we can get the flu/common cold every year because they mutate. Covid will mutate. But that doesn't mean that when it mutates we will be back in the same situation. Studies have shown that the flu vaccine while not 100% effective against all strains of the flu does help mediate immune response and reduce the length of illness for all flus (as does having had and recovered from the different flus). The reason why the old people didn't get hit as hard during H1N1 is because it was similar to the spanish flu and therefore the older generation had some immunity.
Thx for this. Any sense on length of immunity or is that tbd, as we wait for more data?

Back