What's your best guess as to when trainings will resume?

I've been a member since maybe 2000. I haven't replied in maybe 10 years. But as a mom of a teenager I wish I could say my son's experience has been like bigd child. I think each of our experiences color our opinion of what covid-19 has been like for youth so if Big D's experience has been positive, good for him or her and all the people who shared that experience. My experience makes me cry for our youth. All of the structure I provided and sports keeping my son on the positive path has been lost in 2 months. Not saying we won't recover, but we haven taken several steps backwards. Really no joy in life right now for us. Hoping others have a different experience and that we are an unusual case. If things don't open up soon and kids aren't allowed to have the structure of school and sports I fear we will not make a recovery. I guess I was motivated to post just to remind people that everyone has a different experience with this and to be open to that idea.

Thanks for sharing and keeping things real.

About a third of all usa people polled in a recent article i read are suffering for similar mental anguish due to the lockdowns, have no idea how accurate that is widespread but hope things improve soon for you and yours.

I've been a member since maybe 2000. I haven't replied in maybe 10 years. But as a mom of a teenager I wish I could say my son's experience has been like bigd child. I think each of our experiences color our opinion of what covid-19 has been like for youth so if Big D's experience has been positive, good for him or her and all the people who shared that experience. My experience makes me cry for our youth. All of the structure I provided and sports keeping my son on the positive path has been lost in 2 months. Not saying we won't recover, but we haven taken several steps backwards. Really no joy in life right now for us. Hoping others have a different experience and that we are an unusual case. If things don't open up soon and kids aren't allowed to have the structure of school and sports I fear we will not make a recovery. I guess I was motivated to post just to remind people that everyone has a different experience with this and to be open to that idea.
While it hasn’t been easy and there have been challenges, If you have your health and you haven’t been ruined financially, things are okay. If the worst thing our kids experience in their childhood is a break from organized sports and not seeing their friends, I think we are pretty lucky. And a little adversity is good for them after all. Let’s just have some perspective, there are worst things than this.

I’m just a silver-lining kind of person.

It's hard to say it's cheating unless the coach is involved, but shooting on the keeper is probably not going to be allowed (but a rule widely disregarded) at least initially. The proposals in the other states mostly say that the players need to bring and play with their own balls. Plus the keeper will have wet (hopefully not spit) on the gloves for them to properly work.

It's interesting what's happening in South Korea. All the experts said we needed testing testing testing to contain the virus and avoid lockdowns. But South Korea is going back into partial lockdown and the schools (after being reopened) are being shut in some regions. In one school in Seoul, despite the mask requirements and despite the distancing put in place, an art teacher passed coronavirus to a kindergartner and now the schools in the area are closing. Either we are going to open up, or we aren't and we'll just have to live with the consequences but we can't be constantly shutting down...school won't work that way and we won't be able to have a soccer season. Either we take the risk or we don't.
It's all so interesting. Let's hope we have an effective vaccine available by the end of 2021. Brazil just announced last night as they were sharing the success of saving a baby that had been on a ventilator for over 30 days, that they have had 25 babies under 12 months die from covid. Sad.

Open up immediately. This is a total government overreach. Letting the asylum run amok. Biden staffers bailing out protestors, zero bail, suicide deaths in 4 weeks have been more than the death by virus in California, and the kids taken the brunt of this experiment.
Please quote your source about suicide deaths in 4 weeks being more than the covid deaths. Don't forget to deduct the average number of sucides in past year for this time of year.

Please quote your source about suicide deaths in 4 weeks being more than the covid deaths. Don't forget to deduct the average number of sucides in past year for this time of year.
Don;t be a troll Copa. I learned from my past mistakes. Stop hijacking the thread dude.....lol!!!

Yesterday was the day social distancing died. If it's o.k. to get together to protest peacefully (let alone riot and loot) why can't kids have graduations? Why can't they go to camps? Why can't they go to soccer practice? Hell, given the size of these protests and lack of distancing why would we be worried about tournaments as big as Surf? If we're going to do that, then open it up and let's take our chances. Kids have borne the brunt of this in the name of "saving grandma" but are the least vulnerable and it's not fair to them. Open it up. Let the kid's play.
Did you really just say that the kids will look back on this time with a smile? They couldn’t see their school friends for over 3 months and were forced to stay inside with no sports and nothing to do. Wow, you are so out of touch with what is going on. Kids love sports and it’s great for them, gives them something to do besides get in trouble, teaches teamwork, how to win/lose, overcome adversity, etc. Also, if you think sports aren’t that important....why are you on here. Quit the act.
T

This can go both ways....Throw out all deaths of Covid19 patients 65 and over and all the others with underlying health conditions........lets not play this way

It's all so interesting. Let's hope we have an effective vaccine available by the end of 2021. Brazil just announced last night as they were sharing the success of saving a baby that had been on a ventilator for over 30 days, that they have had 25 babies under 12 months die from covid. Sad.

Small hijack here on why it may be hitting Brazil so hard. We know in both Europe and the US that this has been hitting minority communities disproportionately harder than white communities (whether African descended, Hispanic with Native American blood, or Arabic). Brazil's population is very much African descended. They also have problems in the flavellas with overcrowding. In fact, very dark skin people have been getting hit the hardest by COVID. The working theory it's because of Vitamin D (or some characteristic associated with Vitamin D production) deficiencies, and dark skin inhibits the production of vitamin D based on exposure to the sun. Indeed, even in Brazil darker skin individuals have been hit harder than mixed, lighter African or white populations. And Brazil has been hit harder than mixed Native American blood people in the rest of South America (which also has the misfortune of drifting into hard winter, where the sunlight isn't very strong).

If this theory is correct, the African American community in the United States is especially vulnerable to COVID transmission. It makes the fact that a large African American contigent participated in the protests concerning, and if COVID is trasmissible by this type of close night time contact in the open air (the anti-lockdown protests did not result in a large spike) it might lead to a spike in the coming weeks.

"Necessity is the mother of invention". I'm hopeful some good will come out of this.

"But COVID is a chance for us to fundamentally rethink our system. Barr said it well: “COVID is presenting a unique opportunity in education. For the first time in 150 years, we get to blow up the industrial model of education. We are given the gift of learning because we want to learn—not because we have to learn.”

Once stay-at-home orders are lifted, students at more traditional schools might chafe at coming back to the less autonomous model of schools and fight for more academic freedom. In addition, teachers may not want to go back to the set curricula they had to follow before. Crisis breeds disruption and innovation—and often creates a future that was possible before but impractical pre-crisis. In other words, once people experience something different, it can often be hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

Because American school policy is so decentralized, there’s a high likelihood the response and possible transformations will vary widely. We’ll see different approaches state by state, district by district, school by school, and even principal to principal. Unfortunately, many schools—perhaps most—will more or less return to the old ways. At others, perhaps, we’ll see fundamental and far-sighted change, planting seeds that will take decades to grow.

My sincere hope is that looking back in twenty years, we can laugh with our kids and say “Yes, we did do that in school before… I know it did not make any sense, but it took COVID to help us make that change.” Maybe we will start designing school and learning experiences to set our students up for the future instead of holding them back to the past. If there was ever a catalyst to jumpstart change we are living in it right now."
From 2012...
"But a number of entrepreneurs and public school leaders have been experimenting with new technologies and new ways to apply them (which I have been studying for six years at Harvard and now at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) that show real promise of delivering the kinds of productivity gains that so many other sectors have achieved. A new generation of sophisticated adaptive courseware and schools that blend the best of teacher- and computer-delivered instruction are making personalized-learning approaches feasible and affordable, not as a replacement for teachers but as a way to give them the tools they need to become dramatically more effective.

Personalized learning is not a new idea, and its value is well established: Research shows that individually tutored students perform two standard deviations higher than (or better than 98% of) their traditionally taught peers. Adaptive software makes personalized learning practical through a combination of data analysis and pattern recognition technology—something like a more sophisticated version of Netflix’s recommendation engine—which tailors instruction by offering up different content and exercises depending on how students did on the previous one."

Cheaters will easily find a way around that.
It was interesting that they made her walk around with her computer to show that no one was in the room. I asked what would happen if she had to go to the bathroom and they said it was not necessary for her to take her computer in the bathroom though many people had done it. LOL They are open note tests too.

My son told me “ your generation messed up this planet, you didn’t take care of the earth, you didn’t take care of the race issues, and you guys are stuck on political hatred” He is so right.

Remind him. Our generation were the ones who created Facebook and Instagram.

It's all so interesting. Let's hope we have an effective vaccine available by the end of 2021.
End of 2021? By then we may have herd immunity the "Spanish Flu" way. No bueno. There's a chance we have a vaccine by the end of this year. As long as we are hoping, that's what I'll hope for.

Quoting Bourla the CEO from Pfizer:

When queried about specific timeline expectations for having such data on effectiveness and safety, Bourla said: "If things go well and the stars are aligned, we will have enough evidence of safety and efficacy for us to feel comfortable, for the Food and Drug Administration to feel comfortable, and for the European Medicines Agency to feel comfortable, to have a vaccine around the end of October."

I will admit that when this pandemic first started I was a little relieved that everything was shut down since my son and husband have asthma. I was pretty scared of them getting the virus. I now realize that the mental health of our kids have big implications as well, and am ready for my son to be back in soccer! I am heartbroken over the recent events with George Floyd, but hope all of the protests don't delay youth sports getting started

Did anyone watch the NASA/Spacex telecast of the launch on YouTube? Seeing and listening to all of the brilliant engineers of Gen X and Millennial generations--women, minorities, etc.--was a visible reminder that yes, progress has been made here and in Canada.

Now is a good time to show "Remember the Titans" to your kids if they have not seen it already.

If you really want to get into the weeds of reopening, take a look at the 3-phase approach recommended by NFHS:

Soccer is a "moderate risk" activity. There is a lot to consider.

1st scrimmages for tryouts yesterday in North Texas. man it was good to get them back playing something similar to soccer. Solar 04 ECNL team is shaping up... so no chance Surf happens? Too early for Cali?
Officially, surf is still on.

Unofficially, LA was having a rough time with covid even before the riots. Not sure how much that affects San Diego, but it certainly doesn't help.

Officially, surf is still on.

Unofficially, LA was having a rough time with covid even before the riots. Not sure how much that affects San Diego, but it certainly doesn't help.
Being a nocal dad of 4, when is payment due to "lock" in your spot? How many tiers this year?

1st scrimmages for tryouts yesterday in North Texas. man it was good to get them back playing something similar to soccer. Solar 04 ECNL team is shaping up... so no chance Surf happens? Too early for Cali?
Damn you! ;-). Too soon for us in NorCal. Santa Clara county still in phase 2 - That would be MVLA and the old Quakes, new BA to you guys.

Back