What's in Your GK First Aid Kit?

Would love to know what you carry for injuries. I feel like every time we go out of town we drop $50 at the pharmacy because of a bad turf burn, blister, etc. And sometimes the $$ spent has more to do with not really knowing what works, what doesn't, etc. Or the kid says - buy this brand - it works - but it is not available at CVS or Target, but could have been ordered on Amazon if we had any idea it was a necessity. So what do you always have with you in case of injury...

Would love to know what you carry for injuries. I feel like every time we go out of town we drop $50 at the pharmacy because of a bad turf burn, blister, etc. And sometimes the $$ spent has more to do with not really knowing what works, what doesn't, etc. Or the kid says - buy this brand - it works - but it is not available at CVS or Target, but could have been ordered on Amazon if we had any idea it was a necessity. So what do you always have with you in case of injury...

No athletic trainer kit is complete without an oral screw --

1582248366485.png

We have:

Large gauze pads with tape
Regular stretchy band-aids
Neosporin
KT tape
Advil
Benadryl (oral and cream) - my kid has bad grass allergies and you never know how she is going to react to an away field
Ziplock bags (normally we get ice from the trainers but ziplock bags work if the aches appear once you leave the field- any restaurant has ice)
Finger splint

In my GKs bag she has a small kit which usually ends up being used for teammates.
Band-aids
4x4 pads
Neosporin
Self-adhesive bandage wrap. (**This is stuff is great to help hold bandages in place or to help hold an ice pack in place. Cheap and easy on Amazon.)
An old prescription bottle with Motrin/Tylenol/Immodium pills
A few of the cheap disposable ice packs from the 99 cent store
A handful of nitrile gloves to help with bleeding. I've helped other players with gushing bloody noses and other minor bleeding injuries. Other than my own kid I put gloves on for my safety and their's.

**And a straw. Depending on the nature of the injury and the player..I hand it to them as a joke and tell them to suck it up. Usually helps distract them from what's going on and gets a laugh or two.

If it's a tournament or game day I usually keep a bit more comprehensive kit in the wagon with me.

All of the above and, 1” fabric tape (fingers) 2” fabric tape for wrists and ankles, foam pre-wrap for ankles (if you’ve EVER removed ankle tape you know how bad it can hurt!!), and ace wrap, popsicle sick for emergency splinting if buddy splinting of multiple fingers is necessary, a chemical instant hot pack for muscle cramps... a small pair of bandage scissors for cutting tape.

to help prevent the NASTY turf burn seriously consider investing in some kind of a base-layer. My boys are both keepers and wear storelli and will wear adidas compression 3/4 pants with them... protects from the turf burn on their thighs...

Back