What is your School Doing so far regarding sports?

They aren't. Even in my kid's high performing elementary school, in a class where 1/2 the children are gifted and the other 1/2 the kids are at least above average intelligence and 4 of the kids where regularly sent to CLC or Kumon after school for more schooling after regular school days, the teachers had a hard time. My son brought home the math medal this year....before the lockdowns he was ranked 4th in his class even though he was pulling an A (but barely).....his explanation for why he got the math medal: "I didn't give my teacher any crap and I paid attention all the time". Given he's ADHD, I couldn't have been prouder.

The parents at our school rebelled about 2 weeks in that the kids were doing too much....a few of them on top of the homework and the lockdown stress apparently broke down.
We were relaxed the first few weeks bc we understood the change was dramatic and would have emotional implications the children would be unaware of until it manifested itself elsewhere, but even after, it didn't appear that they were learning as much or close to the same level as before. Even with the significant amount of zoom time and attention, do you see your son learning more during distance learning? Or are you supplementing his education in other ways to improve it? Trying to make the best out of this situation for the kids emotionally and educationally.

How are the teachers retaining attention or getting children engaged during zooms for 3-4 hour sessions?
I'm not sure actually, so I asked my DD. She gave me three examples of what her teacher did:
-She actually gives out unofficial grades even though school does not require them
-She randomly calls on people to answer questions. She doesn't believe in raise-your-hand-if-you-know-the-answer. It's a lot of pressure when you're on the laptop screens of 32 kids and don't know the answer.
-Every kid has to do two short video presentations each week on the topic learned. One pre-recorded, and one live

In short, what do you do with kids that are lollygaggers? You scare them (Bull Durham).

We were relaxed the first few weeks bc we understood the change was dramatic and would have emotional implications the children would be unaware of until it manifested itself elsewhere, but even after, it didn't appear that they were learning as much or close to the same level as before. Even with the significant amount of zoom time and attention, do you see your son learning more during distance learning? Or are you supplementing his education in other ways to improve it? Trying to make the best out of this situation for the kids emotionally and educationally.

I didn't really layer anything on top of it because at our private school the online stuff was much more intense than even the in person stuff. He's also a very high e and struggled when things were really shut down-- the only thing that kept him going was his GK training continued during the lockdown (one week he couldn't take him and he broke down into a red hot mess which wasn't matched until last Monday when he got word team practices were suspended). Honestly it was just the GK stuff and his remote drum lessons that kept him going or he would have seriously cracked (my niece has seriously cracked....she's a very very high e off the charts and headed into puberty....without getting into details its a serious crack up). If anything, my son didn't do the non-core subject take home classes (French, art, music) or did just barely enough which ultimately cost him the valedictorian spot (I didn't care...his sanity is more important).

His new private school has assigned him a bit of work (reading, math, Spanish, band) over the summer but mostly he's been playing dungeons and dragons with his school's summer camp on zoom. They are wrapping up online camp this week because they thought sports and live camp would be back (my pediatrician friend got that wrong...she owes me a drink).

Distance learning is going to expose a whole hell of a lot wrong with curriculums. Hopefully the school boards figure out how to keep these kids engaged, because just watching zooms isn't the solution. You might as well get kids rolling on khan academy or some other MOOC, and if you're going that route and the kids wind up being successful, there are going to be an awful lot of parents asking what's the point of paying for USC tuition. We may wind up with an entire generation of kids who never get a traditional degree and are still very successful in the workforce. Maybe that's a good thing-- for-profit higher ed in the USA needs to be blown up and rethought.

Distance learning is going to expose a whole hell of a lot wrong with curriculums. Hopefully the school boards figure out how to keep these kids engaged, because just watching zooms isn't the solution. You might as well get kids rolling on khan academy or some other MOOC, and if you're going that route and the kids wind up being successful, there are going to be an awful lot of parents asking what's the point of paying for USC tuition. We may wind up with an entire generation of kids who never get a traditional degree and are still very successful in the workforce. Maybe that's a good thing-- for-profit higher ed in the USA needs to be blown up and rethought.
Mike Rowe has a $1,000,000 to hand out for trade industry. Big money in welding, AC Tech, Plumber, Electrician and if you work hard and listen, you might be able to own your own company some day. Choices for all :)

Mike Rowe has a $1,000,000 to hand out for trade industry. Big money in welding, AC Tech, Plumber, Electrician and if you work hard and listen, you might be able to own your own company some day. Choices for all :)
My straight A kids will be going to a community college for 2 years. There’s no need to pay $40k a year for online College learning. They are going to be seniors in the fall. After 2 years they can decide if they want to go to a UC school or trade school.

college is not worth the investment anymore. The onlY great thing about college is the life lessons they learn when living away from home. The parties are great too :)

My straight A kids will be going to a community college for 2 years. There’s no need to pay $40k a year for online College learning. They are going to be seniors in the fall. After 2 years they can decide if they want to go to a UC school or trade school.

college is not worth the investment anymore. The onlY great thing about college is the life lessons they learn when living away from home. The parties are great too :)
My dd wanted to go big time U and watch home football games, parties and more parties and play soccer and mix in a degree in 5 years. I thought soccer would pay for all that. I dont want to add up all the dough I spent over years because it's hard on my brain :)

college is not worth the investment anymore. The only great thing about college is the life lessons they learn when living away from home. The parties are great too :)
Trade school is where the money is at. Consider... no traditional college, no student loans, paid apprenticeship, all the trades have a higher than average growth rate, and most are recession proof. I have several degree including MBA, the most money I ever made was as an electrician. The electrical trade was what ultimately let me get in a position to take advantage of the degrees.

My oldest son who plays soccer, and could have player in college, has decided to not attend college right now. He is going to be serving his country in the Marine Corps. He will have the GI Bill when he is done and still have NCAA eligibility if he still wants to play soccer. The GI bill can be used at all kinds of schools including trade and pilot training.

Lets face it, kids these days are lost. They have no idea what they should do or even what they want to do. Don't think that your driving them or telling them what they want will result in anything but disaster. Yeah, there are those few kids who may know their place or path, but they are few. Since my son has decided to do this, I have really seen a new purpose and drive in him.

This "disaster" is problem a good thing for their ultimate transition to the real world. And it is probably saving this generation from millions of dollars of student loans. Which is good thing too.

Trade school is where the money is at. Consider... no traditional college, no student loans, paid apprenticeship, all the trades have a higher than average growth rate, and most are recession proof. I have several degree including MBA, the most money I ever made was as an electrician. The electrical trade was what ultimately let me get in a position to take advantage of the degrees.

My oldest son who plays soccer, and could have player in college, has decided to not attend college right now. He is going to be serving his country in the Marine Corps. He will have the GI Bill when he is done and still have NCAA eligibility if he still wants to play soccer. The GI bill can be used at all kinds of schools including trade and pilot training.

Lets face it, kids these days are lost. They have no idea what they should do or even what they want to do. Don't think that your driving them or telling them what they want will result in anything but disaster. Yeah, there are those few kids who may know their place or path, but they are few. Since my son has decided to do this, I have really seen a new purpose and drive in him.

This "disaster" is problem a good thing for their ultimate transition to the real world. And it is probably saving this generation from millions of dollars of student loans. Which is good thing too.
Excellent takes and tell your son, "thank you" from this dad. My son's best friend is going in too. I was talking to another business friend I have who owns a trade company. He told me he has a 20 year old who is now a journeymen plumber. Two year apprenticeship and now making close to $75,000 a year. His pals are now taking online course at big U for $25,000+ a semester. The college dude is way behind dollar wise and will owe a house payment when he graduates. If Joe wins and Elizabeth has her way, all student loans will be forgiven so this could bold well for that group. I also hear many schools are in deep debt up to their eye balls They practically give you these student loans and kids take them and have no idea of whats coming when their looking for a good job out of college and the monthly loan payment kicks in. PM me if any of you have young male or woman who want to try a different route. I know a woman plumber who makes over $100,000+ a year.

Our school came up with two options: distance or blended. The blended option is only in person two days a week,. Everyone is distance in Wednesday.

Masks must be while in the classroom, waiting to enter campus, while in school grounds, leaving school, on the bus and must be in compliance with the dress code.

Can participate in sports distance learning or blended.

Soccer has been put into the moderate risk along with baseball, basketball, softball volleyball,and water polo but not high risk like football, wrestling, competitive cheer or low-risk like golf cross, country, swimming, and tennis.

Three phases to resume physical return to athletics, phase 3 is where moderate activity sports resume regular practice and high risk can begin modified practice. Not even a phase 4 for high risk yet so looks like footballs is out for now.

Just today update was sent that the school district board will reopen schools "if and only if it's safe"

My kid’s K-8 school is shifting based on covid case count and deaths.

Case count over 10 per hundred thousand. -> zoom.
Case count between 1 and 10 per 100K. -> stable small groups all day. No sports, no choice of electives.
Case count under 1 per 100K -> normal class, including electives and sports.

Masks until vaccine or case count zero.

I work in DTLA, so say they don’t socialize is a gross understatement to be honest. No they aren’t in bars, but they are in communities and wonder throughout their areas visiting each other, sharing needles, cigarettes and booze. I see it everyday.
True, but they usually stay within a relatively close area.

Our school came up with two options: distance or blended. The blended option is only in person two days a week,. Everyone is distance in Wednesday.

Masks must be while in the classroom, waiting to enter campus, while in school grounds, leaving school, on the bus and must be in compliance with the dress code.

Can participate in sports distance learning or blended.

Soccer has been put into the moderate risk along with baseball, basketball, softball volleyball,and water polo but not high risk like football, wrestling, competitive cheer or low-risk like golf cross, country, swimming, and tennis.

Three phases to resume physical return to athletics, phase 3 is where moderate activity sports resume regular practice and high risk can begin modified practice. Not even a phase 4 for high risk yet so looks like footballs is out for now.

Just today update was sent that the school district board will reopen schools "if and only if it's safe"
Which district?

I most definitely want my kids back in school in the fall. But we can't be simplistic about it. We need a plan. My point was that its less about the risk to the kids and more about the risk to the adults (teachers and all the support staff) - aside from any indirect risks.

The most infuriating thing, to me, about this is the clear lack of leadership from the White House, through Congress and through the States. There is nothing but bumbling and reacting, inconsistency and lack of thought.

The number of teachers at risk and what they teach will differ from school to school. Each school should self assess, roll it up to their district, roll it up to their state and someone can then start to formulate a clear plan of action with all the resources available to them (in that state). That should have started in March for the next school year.

Bingo! Studies show our kids would mostly be safe. I would send my kids to school 5 days a week, but the issue is not with the kids, it's the safety with the teachers and staff. If I'm a teacher, with no protections in place, I say F' U'. I swear no profession gets crapped on more than teachers.
We expect them to sacrifice their health (covid), spend their own $$ (supplies), work for free (covid online training), and pay them peanuts to top it off (starting salary in the mid 40's, compared to law enforcement, mid 60's). And then we call them selfish if they don't make these sacrifices "for our kids". It's a job remember.

You guys are lucky I'm not head of the teacher's union. First thing I do is take out full page ads in every major newspaper to show America how much our "First Responders for our Kids" get paid. I would put a side by side comparison of pay with other first responders. I think most people would be shocked a how little teachers are paid and how much first responders get paid. Not to mention first responders ALWAYS get their demands met when negotiating. And that LAPD Drop program is just criminal. I can go on and on, but enough my rant.

Desert Hound you stated we should not think of what's not possible, but think of what is possible. I've been harping on this since April, but why can't we get those 10-15 minute abbot tests at every school in America? We test ALL kids and staff daily, just like the do at the White House, military, and EVERY professional sports league, etc. You test positive, you go home and isolate. Are our kids not worth it? Harvard indicated that nationwide testing (not just schools) like this would cost 100 billion.

We've spent 6-7 trillion so far and we are about to spend another 1-3 trillion by the end of this month with another stimulus bill. 100 billion is pocket change! Also, by now, we should know everything about how covid travels in the air with and without masks. We should know, to the f'n millimeter, where to place the fans, suction fans, plexiglass, infrared, lasers, disinfectant, fuck I don't know I'm not a scientist, but you get the drift. And Grace, when I asked "where are America's F'ing studies" this is what I meant. And we should know this for airplanes, hotel lobbies, office buildings, etc. We should also have N-95 masks coming out of dispensers at every highway gas station bathroom.

The lack of imagination and vision form this administration is simply tragic, and we are all going to pay (my economic rant coming later). Arizona Unified is experimenting with fans that dispense sanitizers (I saw this yesterday), Arizona State & Berkeley are coming up with faster saliva tests, we have a guy in his garage telling us how effective masks are. https://www.12news.com/article/news...sting/75-0a512c66-8271-4cd7-9eca-1a7dce4de884, https://www.foxnews.com/us/schools-utilize-power-fans-to-combat-covid-19

This kind of stuff is the federal government's responsibility and it's a shame they didn't start this way back when.

Bingo! Studies show our kids would mostly be safe. I would send my kids to school 5 days a week, but the issue is not with the kids, it's the safety with the teachers and staff. If I'm a teacher, with no protections in place, I say F' U'. I swear no profession gets crapped on more than teachers.
We expect them to sacrifice their health (covid), spend their own $$ (supplies), work for free (covid online training), and pay them peanuts to top it off (starting salary in the mid 40's, compared to law enforcement, mid 60's). And then we call them selfish if they don't make these sacrifices "for our kids". It's a job remember.

You guys are lucky I'm not head of the teacher's union. First thing I do is take out full page ads in every major newspaper to show America how much our "First Responders for our Kids" get paid. I would put a side by side comparison of pay with other first responders. I think most people would be shocked a how little teachers are paid and how much first responders get paid. Not to mention first responders ALWAYS get their demands met when negotiating. And that LAPD Drop program is just criminal. I can go on and on, but enough my rant.

Desert Hound you stated we should not think of what's not possible, but think of what is possible. I've been harping on this since April, but why can't we get those 10-15 minute abbot tests at every school in America? We test ALL kids and staff daily, just like the do at the White House, military, and EVERY professional sports league, etc. You test positive, you go home and isolate. Are our kids not worth it? Harvard indicated that nationwide testing (not just schools) like this would cost 100 billion.

We've spent 6-7 trillion so far and we are about to spend another 1-3 trillion by the end of this month with another stimulus bill. 100 billion is pocket change! Also, by now, we should know everything about how covid travels in the air with and without masks. We should know, to the f'n millimeter, where to place the fans, suction fans, plexiglass, infrared, lasers, disinfectant, fuck I don't know I'm not a scientist, but you get the drift. And Grace, when I asked "where are America's F'ing studies" this is what I meant. And we should know this for airplanes, hotel lobbies, office buildings, etc. We should also have N-95 masks coming out of dispensers at every highway gas station bathroom.

The lack of imagination and vision form this administration is simply tragic, and we are all going to pay (my economic rant coming later). Arizona Unified is experimenting with fans that dispense sanitizers (I saw this yesterday), Arizona State & Berkeley are coming up with faster saliva tests, we have a guy in his garage telling us how effective masks are. https://www.12news.com/article/news...sting/75-0a512c66-8271-4cd7-9eca-1a7dce4de884, https://www.foxnews.com/us/schools-utilize-power-fans-to-combat-covid-19

This kind of stuff is the federal government's responsibility and it's a shame they didn't start this way back when.
I work in a food industry service sector and once stay at home order came out, I was exactly this way - being afraid what will happen to me when I go to work. What would happen to me, my family, my kids? It's not just an office job, it's a job requiring travel, customer visits, interaction with many guys in manufacturing, vendor visiting me and so on. It was easy to say F U, but the longer I work, the more I see how wrong it was to lock everyone and everything down. All it takes is sensible precautions to be safe, it doesn't matter if it's at work, restaurant, bar, soccer field or school. It's really easy to say F U and lets shut down. How about making it work or at least to try to make it work?

I work in a food industry service sector and once stay at home order came out, I was exactly this way - being afraid what will happen to me when I go to work. What would happen to me, my family, my kids? It's not just an office job, it's a job requiring travel, customer visits, interaction with many guys in manufacturing, vendor visiting me and so on. It was easy to say F U, but the longer I work, the more I see how wrong it was to lock everyone and everything down. All it takes is sensible precautions to be safe, it doesn't matter if it's at work, restaurant, bar, soccer field or school. It's really easy to say F U and lets shut down. How about making it work or at least to try to make it work?

exactly, what we are talking about our sensible precautions. are the precautions I mentioned not sensible or reasonable? further your situation is quite different than teachers, it sounds like you can meet one on one with vendors and you can socially distance and wear masks. I think Copa stated it best when indicated how long teachers are in the classroom with 30 students for 50 minutes or all day with elementary. much different situation. So it sounds like you’re not on board with me.

Back