What If We Hit The Reset Button?

Those schools will be invited to the Power 5 showcases. Open to all colleges.
Just like showcases are today. But it takes Clubs out of organizing and making money from it. And/or from deciding who gets to play or not.

Why advocate 6 DA in socal? Lot of free way time if the nearest one isn't near you.

Figure the travel is a reasonable price to avoid dilution?

I would just have a one big Power 5 college showcase/Tournament for SoCal teams only and few top teams outside who are killing it. SoCal is like Belgium size wise and player soccer wise so all we need as parents is to negotiate a good deal. The fields all are here too now. 2013 fields sucked so I will give some props to those who built them. Let's share them too now. $10 a day to park and I'm sure $15 this coming season is insane too. My #1 grip is all the travel for these girls. We need to fix that as well. We don;t need to travel outside of SoCal. It;s the truth. The Best of the Best soccer players are split up into 3 levels imo. Really really good (Real good all the time-Mike Trout) Real good (has some work to do but has potential-Kuzma) Good player (roll player. Mickey Hatcher type or a Rambis) That's it. Everyone else play local and have specific showcases for D2 and D3 players who have 4.5s as well. So many places to go to school and still play soccer. That is a very positive in all this.

If I was king, this is what I'd do:

So Cal Youth League Set Up
Leagues should be broken up in the following manner. Forget Coast, SCDSL, Presidio, blah, blah, blah:
1. The Great Park League - All of Orange County plays here
2. The Oceanside/Polo Field League - Anything South of Pendleton plays here
3. The Silverlakes League - Anything east of Anaheim
4. The Anything between Manhattan Beach and Thousand Oaks League - Maybe play in Carson (Dignity Health Sports park) or any other large complexes in LA that clubs use. Could probably break this up into a few leagues based on geography and the mess of traffic in the area. Coastal, Downtown, Pasadena
5. Lancaster and Friends League

Set up 3 flights. A club can have a maximum of 5 teams per age group. And no more than 2 teams per flight.

Start the fall season by playing 4 games in the flight that you think you belong in. Then reshuffle the flights for the next 6 games of the season. If a team is killing everyone in flight 3 – move them up. If a team is getting crushed in flight 1, move them down.

Allow teams to play a maximum of 3 tournaments, plus State Cup per 12 months.

Start the season on Labor Day weekend. End the season the 1st week of December - Including State Cup for all age groups. (If you keep the 1st rounds local, you could even play weeknight games). You could even start the season before Labor Day weekend since many schools are starting back in mid-August now.

Tryouts
With the above league set up, you can let players take a break for most of December and January. They can even use this time to work on some soccer skills or recover from injuries, so they can prepare for the tryouts in a few months.

Tryouts are held in February. A player can register to tryout for up to 4 teams. They must attend at least 1 tryout with a club in order to receive an offer. (None of these backroom deals). All offers must be out by February 28th and accepted by March 5th. (Kind of the way club volleyball does things today. But they have a shorter window for accepting offers). Impose big fines for clubs that violate these rules. Suspend players from tournament play that violate these rules.

DA/ECNL
I don’t care which one exists or goes away. But we need 1 top level league. For ease of conversation, let’s say it is DA. And let’s say there should only be 6 DA Clubs in So Cal. (2 for LA, 2 in OC and 2 in San Diego)

If your club is going to be DA, then your club is ONLY a DA club. You can have 1 team per age group from U13 and above. There is no DA 2 or DPL. These clubs cannot have SCDSL/CSL/Presidio/NPL/etc teams. Players that want to play at the highest levels come to your tryouts. DA clubs are out scouting young players across the area. There is not a “we are joining XYZ club at 9 years old because we think it will help us make the DA team in 4 years by spending our money on this club and we think loyalty should be rewarded.”

These 6 Clubs must have:
  • Quality Fields
  • A physical facility that includes video review capabilities; athletic trainers for help with injuries; a study lounge for homework; an office for parent and player meetings
  • At least 3 coaches at all practices and games. All with at least a recent B license and continuing coach education.
  • 20 player rosters (I may even be ok with 23 players if there are some rules to ensure playing time for field players and keepers).
  • Can bring in players from outside clubs for tryouts and scrimmages as needed. If they want to add a player for league games during season, they must cut another player. ("Injured Reserve" would also be an option if a player is expected to be out at least 3 months)
  • Fully funded for players. This is funded by US Soccer, national and local sponsorship and a $20 per player fee is tacked on to every player registered with US Soccer (IE- everyone in the US that plays club soccer from to u7 to u19 from signature on up to Gold/Discovery type of play).
Non-DA clubs should network with the DA coaches and try to get players promoted to DA. DA coaches should hold open training sessions to help Non-DA coaches understand what they are looking for and to help with continued coach education.

Coaches
We need more female coaches. And we need more young coaches. The sidelines are filled with 40+ year old men who are making a living coaching 4 teams.

I’ve seen many young female coaches quit because they are just starting out in life after college and quit coaching to get a “Real Job” or to raise a family. These are skilled players that can be great role models to young players. They have passion for the game and they have a personality that meshes will with young players.

There has to be a better way to keep more young female coaches involved in the game. Some type of apprenticeship program that will let them generate a little extra cash while they are working a full time job.

We need to find a better way to provide coach education/licenses to young coaches. To a fresh college grad, dropping $500 for a D license is their monthly rent budget or student loan payment. Forget about the cost of a C or B license for a young coach. Several thousand for the class and more for travel and expense.

Some clubs will help cover the costs, but it’s usually on a “you pay for it and we’ll reimburse you once you pass the class.” (Which is okay. But for a 23 year old to be out that kind of cash for a few months, it’s the difference between eating Top Ramen every night or splurging for grilled chicken and vegetables once in a while). What if you put it on your credit card and then the club folds? Or they bring in new coaches before you get reimbursed?

I’d say we also need a better way to educate coaches who don’t want to coach 4 teams and make it a full time job. There’s quite a few out there that coach 1 or 2 teams because they love the game. But they aren’t willing to spring for a “C” license or higher with the travel to Kansas City 2+ times. Put the content out there for cheap or free to let everyone learn what those that take the class are learning. But require in-person attendance if you want the license.

College Recruiting
The current club showcase “pyramid” is designed to make life easier for college coaches to see players. This doesn’t really exist in the same format for other sports. Plenty of football and basketball coaches are out on the recruiting trail during their seasons. Talking to coaches. Watching games. Networking to see what kind of players are hidden gems.

Scrap the current “Showcase” environment. The Power 5 conferences should all host their own showcase type of tournament over the summer. Players stay in the dorms. It's free to play and free to stay. Invite any college coach that wants to come and watch. Charge coaches a fee to attend to offset what it would cost a team to enter. Get BIG sponsors. Nike, Ford, Gatorade, Bank of America to fund it all. Make it last a week. Teams play 2 games per day and play every other day.
Each conference conducts 2 per summer so you cover the geography of conferences.
Pac 12 Example: UCLA/USC, ASU and UofA hold 1 showcase for So Cal and the Southwest and rotate every few years. And Stanford, Oregon and Washington hold 1 showcase for the Northwest.

If parents want to watch, they can pay for their own room and board.

I'd also say that we need to revamp the "rec" soccer world. Lots of players out there today would be better served in a rec type of set up. But the coaching is bad. And the dedication of players to attend practices and games is all over the map. There's got to be something in-between rec and club for the player that likes soccer, is dedicated but isn't trying to be world class.

If I was king, this is what I'd do:.....

I'd also say that we need to revamp the "rec" soccer world. Lots of players out there today would be better served in a rec type of set up. But the coaching is bad. And the dedication of players to attend practices and games is all over the map. There's got to be something in-between rec and club for the player that likes soccer, is dedicated but isn't trying to be world class.

You have my vote. I think you've hit on a solution to the "flight" problem too. It's considered too much of a reward or mark of excellence rather than what it's intended to be (which is to avoid having teams blow each other out).

I've told the story before what got my son involved in club ball. He wanted to keep playing soccer and go out for extras when his U8 AYSO season ended....he wanted to find someone to play with him and practice for Extras tryouts....we asked everyone on the team but no one was interested (they had other sports, Disneyland annual passes, were done with it). Eventually the coaching problem should resolve itself in rec as we get more volunteer coach parents that play. But the dedication level and skill level is more of a problem. AYSO's everyone-plays-together philosophy is what ultimately led to the explosion of club ball, because the superstar wasn't being developed if no one could pass to her, and the handicapped kid wasn't happy if everyone was avoiding passing to him. In England, everyone plays rec ball except the academy and private development players...rec ball is tiered into various levels based on player (not team) performance.

Why advocate 6 DA in socal? Lot of free way time if the nearest one isn't near you.

Figure the travel is a reasonable price to avoid dilution?
I think you saying there should be more. How many more?

DA should be for national team level players. Do you think there are more than 46 girls (go with a roster of 23) in each age group in OC that have National team potential?

I think you saying there should be more. How many more?

DA should be for national team level players. Do you think there are more than 46 girls (go with a roster of 23) in each age group in OC that have National team potential?
6 is too many teams if you want only national team prospects. Too few if you want a viable league without excessive travel.

The national team prospects can probably fill at most 8-10 teams nationally. fine for all star teams, but an awful size for day to day practice.

6 in so cal.
1 in AZ
1 in NV
1 in UT
6 in Nor Cal.
There’s your DA league for the West/Southwest.
Suck for az,nv and Utah to have to travel so much. But this is for the truly elite. And it won’t cost anything to play.

6 in socal is more like 2 or 3 in norcal. we don’t have your population. still a league of 11 or 12.

Not sure I’d take the bait even at free. Two hours in the car doesn’t leave much time for homework. And I’m pretty sure Man City pays their quants more than the CM on the women's squad.

6 in socal is more like 2 or 3 in norcal. we don’t have your population. still a league of 11 or 12.

Not sure I’d take the bait even at free. Two hours in the car doesn’t leave much time for homework. And I’m pretty sure Man City pays their quants more than the CM on the women's squad.
For the truly elite- they’ll move closer to a DA team. Hell, the Pulisic family moved to Germany when he was in his teens.
Or they’ll play in the “normal” league and get seen by scouts once in a while. And maybe still get called up for a national team camp.

Until the age for heading the ball, all games should use a futsol ball - no throw-ins, no goal kicks, no corner kicks.

Play both small sided games and larger field games within the same competition split about 50/50 until they are at least 10. Play futsal in the winter.

US Soccer DA should focus on a smaller footprint of teams - around 24 nationwide (about 64 DA teams now) and these teams play a year up in ECNL. Large geographic regions that can’t support a “local” team will select players from the region to make up a team that will compete in the DA Cup.

The DA “Showcases” will be the “DA Cup Competition”. This will serve as the DA playoffs. Use the week between Christmas and New Years the summer months using DA rules.

I would love to see youngers play a game where you only score on your possession. Once a team loses possession, the play is reset and the other team gets the ball. In the younger ages, so much scoring is off mistakes of players with the ball. This type of game would promote goals scored due to good possessions and eliminate giveaway goals. This could be part of the small sided games.

Until the age for heading the ball, all games should use a futsol ball - no throw-ins, no goal kicks, no corner kicks.

That only works if you say no goalkeepers until then (which BTW would put us in line with the recommendations of the United Soccer Coaches of no goalkeepers until age 12, but it would put us out of step with the rest of the world since in addition to futsal academy players begin larger field play with goalkeepers as early as 10 and those goalkeepers in academy play are specialized FT keepers even at that early age). Reason you have to say no keepers is the futsal ball is weighted, so particularly for younger kids who may not have keeper training it's very difficult to stop and can lead to injury-- if it's a high shot it might hit their heads leading to a concussion, if it's a low shot they'll have to dive or reaction save it leading to injury, and in any case they'll be developing bad goalkeeping habits that will have to be broken when they move to field play. My GK son has taken more injuries in futsal than GK on a field.

Back