What If We Hit The Reset Button?

You ever play Madden when the computer decides there is no way you are going to win the game? Fumbles, interceptions, injuries, etc. If you were anything like me when I was a kid the only solution on a guaranteed L was to hit the reset button.

Have we reached that point with youth soccer? Does anyone else feel like it has become so complex with so many super, duper, mega elite leagues and so much bad blood between people who support themselves by finding new ways to shake down parents that we should just hit the reset button?

I'd bet 90 of 100 people who were asked that would say "yes." But that is not my question. My question is what do we do on D1? There are a lot of people on this forum who know more about this game and have been around a lot longer than I have so I'm interested in their solutions. I'm not trying to bait anyone into an argument but I think i've only heard one poster (new wave?) who suggest a reasonable solution with the 4 counties. Any one else? What does a new soccer world look like? Maybe more importantly what does a club look like to be successful in your new world?

I have nothing to offer. I can't wrap my head around such a big topic. so, there it is...anyone brave enough to try? I'd rpefer to focus on the younger groups so we dont have to consider the high schools, colleges and other external entities.

What would you do if you could start soccer over????

I wrote this over in our HS Soccer Section. Thought you all would like to see this opinion I wrote. I love this.

Mater Dei’s boys basketball team this season traveled to Arizona, Las Vegas, Oregon, West Virginia and Massachusetts.

GDA is run just like a private school travel sports league. In fact, the one's most in charge of the socal DA probably all send their kids to private school. Private schools can travel all they want because the teachers have to support the athletes. Public school kids need to be in their chair everyday so the school can get paid. Plus, traveling all over the country to play soccer and missing school sends the wrong message and I agree. Private school teachers can tell little Sally not to worry about her homework and test and go win for the Monarchs and she can take it when she gets back from her 6 day soccer trip to Florida. Public school teacher might say, "I don;t care about your little soccer trip, you need to be here to take the tests and turn in homework or get an "F." The coaches and Docs then put a full court guilt pressure defense on the kid and say, "That's too bad Sally, all the D1 one coaches and YNT scouts will be there and they really want to see you play. Oh well, good luck being seen by college coaches." Sally comes home crying because she feels torn. She wants to play with her friends from HS but also wants to use soccer as a vehicle into college. However, she is being made to believe you have to go fly across the country and play in the cold and maybe not even play because Sally comes off the bench most of the time.

Lastly, the GDA was put together to find the "best of the best" in all of the United States of America so they can put together the best team possible to represent this great country of ours. You can't tell me your league is doing that when you EXCLUDE all the Public School kids from participating. Think about that for a moment and let that sink into your mind. It sounds unbelievable but were actually all allowing this to happen as we discuss this very important topic for well being of our dear daughters.

I will add lastly that if the DA goes back to school year age and allow HS Soccer too their business model is toast. So I think all we need is one brave family and dd to challenge this stupid, unenforceable rule in the first place. Any volunteers? Then, we need to challenge the birth year rule. This too was done in the dark of night, trust me!! I know for a fact many top docs (the good ones) begged the GDA not to change to birth year. All the good ones were concerned with the social damage this would cause and pressure to pick one or another, either or, instead of........Both and.......... Then they begged the DA, the good ones, not to forbid children to participate for their local high school soccer teams. These three rules need to be challenged, like right now. Hit the Pause button and at least try and have a quick civil discussion or debate on whats best for the children for 2020-2021 season. If you don;t, they will tell you want to do. DA and ECNL as of right now are in a dog fight. The truth lies in the middle. I like the ECNL structure but would like a discussion on the all the travel and maybe lighten that up a little or be ok with some type of hybrid and or part time model. This is a good start to important topic that I obviously have time to help with. PTA and now the PPA, Parent and Players Association :)

Last edited:
Best and most qualified coaches work with 4 - 8 year olds. Teach the fundamentals with care.

Repeat until young brains, nervous systems and muscles are all hardwired. 2 years?

Small sided scrimmages with one coach on each side gently guiding positioning, directing flow and teaching. Crossing end line after x # touches = goal. No keeper. They should be field players first. Later if someone really only wants to be in goal, they go for specific teaching in front of a Pug with Coach rolling the ball to them and adjusting position, hands, trailing leg knee bent to close the gap (no nutmegs!) 2 years?

Gradual progression to new skills- 1000 juggles. Long balls.Re-direct. Passing. Left foot only days. Right foot only days. Volley between players 100+ times. Defensive stance, speed and agility drills.

Reshuffle the deck based on skills acquisition and athletic ability So kids are mixing with similar level.

Now kids are about 10 or 12 and some dropping out or choosing other sports.

The rest continue training and learning new skills. Probably work out at home every day outside their team practices.

they join clubs, get on with their game best they can depending on financial resources, proximity to fields, travel time, etc. Going to tryouts, ID sessions, meeting coaches, growing into ballers.

Oh, wait...none of this is remotely possible because most coaches willing to work with youngest players are volunteer moms and dads with a kid on the team. Parents want to scream from the sideline at their star player to go to goal. Teams want cool uniforms and names, banners for away games, matching hair ribbons (ok girls only).

;)

1. Regardless of whether you think the DA no-HS rule makes sense, and there is a case to make for prohibiting it, APPLY IT CONSISTENTLY ACROSS THE BOARD - no waivers for private school kids.

2. Accept that travel is required for DA - knowing that California is unique and you can find good competition without travel, part of the DA experience is to travel and play teams from other parts of the country. Too much complaining from California about travel - don't sign-up for DA if you don't want to travel for soccer.

3. Require that all Clubs post complete list of fees and costs, for all teams and levels of play. Governing authorities make absolutely certain they have all of our waivers complete before the season starts, treat the Clubs/teams the same, making them submit a list of all fees/costs prior to start of season. Maintain that information at a single location, allowing the parents to make an informed decision - the market will then determine what is/isn't worth the cost.

1. Regardless of whether you think the DA no-HS rule makes sense, and there is a case to make for prohibiting it, APPLY IT CONSISTENTLY ACROSS THE BOARD - no waivers for private school kids.

2. Accept that travel is required for DA - knowing that California is unique and you can find good competition without travel, part of the DA experience is to travel and play teams from other parts of the country. Too much complaining from California about travel - don't sign-up for DA if you don't want to travel for soccer.

3. Require that all Clubs post complete list of fees and costs, for all teams and levels of play. Governing authorities make absolutely certain they have all of our waivers complete before the season starts, treat the Clubs/teams the same, making them submit a list of all fees/costs prior to start of season. Maintain that information at a single location, allowing the parents to make an informed decision - the market will then determine what is/isn't worth the cost.
Great ideas

I think I’d encourage my kids to play tennis. And basketball.
I'm trying to save soccer one last time but I'm about to tell everyone to stay the hell away if this can;t get fixed and I mean that. This is so much over kill on these poor girls. 99% of them will never set foot on foreign soil to represent the United States best of the best female players for their respective age groups. Yet they have a league that makes the 99% support the 1%. Is that right or am I wrong? Plus pay $10,000+ a year. Wow!!!

I'm trying to save soccer one last time but I'm about to tell everyone to stay the hell away if this can;t get fixed and I mean that. This is so much over kill on these poor girls. 99% of them will never set foot on foreign soil to represent the United States best of the best female players for their respective age groups. Yet they have a league that makes the 99% support the 1%. Is that right or am I wrong? Plus pay $10,000+ a year. Wow!!!

True that 99% Plus will never represent the US. It’s the same in Gymnastics....plus Basketball, Football, and Baseball players playing at high youth and high school levels making it to the pro leagues. Do you know anyone in Cheer? Months of training, and trips across the US for a single 3 minute routine. Talk about crazy and expensive....scholarships for cheer athletes as well. Soccer is not the only sport set-up like this - Pay-for-Play and $$$. We know people that have moved to put their kids in better districts for High School Football, etc. There are some High School Programs that have better pathways to college football.

There is never going to be a one size-fits-all solution. Some people like DA, or ECNL, or CSL/SCDSL, etc., some people don’t. There is good and bad about all of them. The cool thing about soccer is that there is a club out there for just about every level of play. Pay as much or as less as you want. Play in the circuit and level you are comfortable in. The pay for play model is not going anywhere anytime soon.

It’s pretty clear what the rules of the game are and it’s kind of like that in the real world as well - Athlete Recruitment and College Graduates....Lots of recruitment from Facebook and Google at Stanford, and iBanks going to the Ivy League. More recruiting from those universities for those jobs than Northwest Oklahoma State (born in OK BTW). You can get those jobs other ways as well, but certain University’s make it a little easier to get in the door. Same with this model.

The system is set-up/designed to funnel college coaches to the DA/ECNL events. There are non DA/ECNL Showcases as well that a ton of coaches attend. If that’s what you want, if that’s your goal than I would suggest getting your player in one of those programs, or at a non-DA/ECNL club that participates in those events. I’m not saying it is right, just saying that’s what it is. Not a single person on this board will change it.

I believe 100% that not all the best players are in DA or ECNL and that there are quality players in all the leagues out there, HS, etc. I also believe there is a barrier to entry for many as well whether it is Geography, Financial, etc.

The reality is if a college coach can “shop” at a few showcase events for all the ingredients they need for their team, why would they go anywhere else. Why waste the money? I’ll go to PHX, FL, NC, etc. to look at 100’s of players across multiple age groups, recruiting classes, etc., versus one-off trips to see smaller pools of kids in other geographies. Chances are a coach can find a kid that is equally as good in the showcase without having to spend additional $$$ on the travel (even though that same quality of player is available someplace else). People do the same thing in their personal life, they will do what is convenient/easy.

Is it fair...no. Life is not fair. I’ve accepted that this is the model, so we are going to make sure we understand the rules of the game, play by them, and move on. The rules are pretty clear and out in the open, not saying they are the right rules, but they are the rules.

Best and most qualified coaches work with 4 - 8 year olds. Teach the fundamentals with care.

Repeat until young brains, nervous systems and muscles are all hardwired. 2 years?

Small sided scrimmages with one coach on each side gently guiding positioning, directing flow and teaching. Crossing end line after x # touches = goal. No keeper. They should be field players first. Later if someone really only wants to be in goal, they go for specific teaching in front of a Pug with Coach rolling the ball to them and adjusting position, hands, trailing leg knee bent to close the gap (no nutmegs!) 2 years?

Gradual progression to new skills- 1000 juggles. Long balls.Re-direct. Passing. Left foot only days. Right foot only days. Volley between players 100+ times. Defensive stance, speed and agility drills.

Reshuffle the deck based on skills acquisition and athletic ability So kids are mixing with similar level.

Now kids are about 10 or 12 and some dropping out or choosing other sports.

The rest continue training and learning new skills. Probably work out at home every day outside their team practices.

they join clubs, get on with their game best they can depending on financial resources, proximity to fields, travel time, etc. Going to tryouts, ID sessions, meeting coaches, growing into ballers.

Oh, wait...none of this is remotely possible because most coaches willing to work with youngest players are volunteer moms and dads with a kid on the team. Parents want to scream from the sideline at their star player to go to goal. Teams want cool uniforms and names, banners for away games, matching hair ribbons (ok girls only).

;)
The best coaches don’t work for (and clubs done have club teams for) the youngest because it’s not cost efficient. If you are doing 5v5 there isnt enough fees from that roster without dramatically raising rates. And because they will gradually consolidate to 11v11 rosters eventually most of those teams disappear and the coach finds himself without a team. So what you are left with is volunteers, but the volunteer gap is closing as more and more parents have a soccer background. won’t be as much of an issue even 10 years from now

the issue with young goalkeepers is that coaches are demanding they do certain things to produce winning results. But those things like diving, 1v1, and cross defense carry a risk of injury unless trained. So if coaches expect the keeper to dive you have to train them. Otherwise the expectation for an under10 goalkeeper should be only collecting loose balls and stopping shots aimed directly at them (they are essentially shooting manequins).

my opinionthat goes against the cw is that a goalkeepers footwork is 1) not as important as people make out and 2) unique. It’s important for a gk to properly receive the ball and execute a back pass with both feet. But it’s not as intense as the skills required of say a 10. Moreover, the technique is different with a focus on longer passes, goalkicks and punts than short passes in traffic. I’m not sure I really agree with the soccer player first philosophy...more like soccer player too.

The proposal I like is to divide the country into about 10 regions; the top ten teams in each year make an elite division for that region. Promote and relegate to keep the top 10 current.

Do that, and most of the top 500 players nationally will be on one of those 100 elite teams. Very few will have long distance travel.

Some strong SoCal teams will miss the cut. (Not a problem. They're in Socal. They will find good competition.) Every other strong team nationally would end up in their elite division.

If we had that, we could get rid of ECNL, DA, Super Y, and the rest of it.

ECNL is trying a merit based approach to promotion and relegation on the boys side in NorCal.

The idea is to slowly promote and relegate clubs, but not teams. I think this means a team could go undefeated and still get relegated- because the club's other years did poorly. Hope they have something in the fine print to prevent this.

Thanks, Bernie. All those coaches have to buy groceries, too.
You're right. Messi, Neymar, Sancho, Rooney, Henry's parents were all shelling out $3k a year to cover the cost of the local coaches groceries. Win -win. They all became great and the local coaches all feasted on pigeon and truffles.

Think about this. Is having all of the best youth players from an area consolidated onto 1 or 2 teams a good thing?

This is a tweet from Carli Lloyd the other day:
"At one point national team had Heather O’Reilly, Tobin Heath, Yael Averbuch, Christie Rampone and myself all from NJ. We all played on separate club teams growing up. Learned 2 carry our teams on our backs. Now a days all of us would be on the same club. #recruitment "
See Tweet Here

Think about this. Is having all of the best youth players from an area consolidated onto 1 or 2 teams a good thing?

This is a tweet from Carli Lloyd the other day:
"At one point national team had Heather O’Reilly, Tobin Heath, Yael Averbuch, Christie Rampone and myself all from NJ. We all played on separate club teams growing up. Learned 2 carry our teams on our backs. Now a days all of us would be on the same club. #recruitment "
See Tweet Here

If you don't consolidate, the top kids will play up 2 or 3 years. Many will get hurt.

I know playing up worked out fine for Horan, but how many kids like her quit soccer after a bad collision with someone 3 years older and 40 pounds heavier?

Back