West Coast/Surf OC

Next up, Del Mar Sharks.....
If that is a guess, I think it is pretty good. I was wondering why Surf would allow Sharks to get ECNL without a fight when they had a monopoly on San Diego for so long.

Now I wonder how Sharks voted on the issue of letting Surf back into Presidio.

What we have in the US right now is an anti competitive anti competition climate. US Soccer rather than creating a climate of competition with ECNL, SCDSL etc in our country fractured it with its DA league. The Federations mandate is to facilitate the growth of Soccer for all. Not just the ones that it seems worthy. It has no business operating a puppet regime under the false flags of non profit 501C3 clubs a closed league that disincentives large portions of the country while lining its pockets with cash from the very consumers it is tasked with serving. These clubs like Surf, Rush, etc are essentially corporations that rather than compete with smller market clubs use there leverage and power and to consume them to remove competition from the market place and thus can further artificially inflate club fees, tournament fees, field access, travel and hotel monies and yes even acces to who plays and who doesn’t. This will continue and has already played out in college sports with mega conferences Like the Power 5 gobbling up Universities to further their geographic footprint and create cable channels Big 10 network, longhorn tv, Pac 12, etc. So far 3 NWSL teams have folded and been absorbed by MLS clubs. NASL is currently suing US Soccer for D2 sanctioning stays that US is denying them. Small independent clubs FC Cincinnati, NY Cosmos, etc are being forced out of the market place not by consumers or inferior Soccer but by US Soccer denying access to sanctioning them. The same tactics are seen with youth club Soccer. This does not grow the game but further erodes local small market clubs the serves the people and players in that community. This is not a conspiracy it’s not fiction, it’s reality, and starts with US Soccer.

You are so right!! This trend will continue for years to come. As long as you have middle and upper class parents who continue to drive the revenue stream, there is no way to stop this money grab. Irony is that the very people who fund this charade are, for the most part, parents with children who will NEVER make it to the big game. Only in Club Soccer do you see people buying into the whole "pathway to something..." bullsh*t. I have never seen a professional athlete from any sport that I am familiar with that needed someone else to provide them with a pathway to anything. Mostly just people or organizations getting in their way, on their way, to the big leagues. If there is one thing I have noticed over the years, it is that the unicorns make their own path and do their own thing. In fact, it is usually all the uptight do gooders screaming "don't be that parent" that are too blind to see that top talent doesn't need anyone to create a pathway for them.

There is so much broken with the system in the US that it is to the point where we need to scrap the whole thing and replace it with something completely different but I realize that won't happen.

If that is a guess, I think it is pretty good. I was wondering why Surf would allow Sharks to get ECNL without a fight when they had a monopoly on San Diego for so long.

Now I wonder how Sharks voted on the issue of letting Surf back into Presidio.

Not a guess

What we have in the US right now is an anti competitive anti competition climate. US Soccer rather than creating a climate of competition with ECNL, SCDSL etc in our country fractured it with its DA league. The Federations mandate is to facilitate the growth of Soccer for all. Not just the ones that it seems worthy. It has no business operating a puppet regime under the false flags of non profit 501C3 clubs a closed league that disincentives large portions of the country while lining its pockets with cash from the very consumers it is tasked with serving. These clubs like Surf, Rush, etc are essentially corporations that rather than compete with smller market clubs use there leverage and power and to consume them to remove competition from the market place and thus can further artificially inflate club fees, tournament fees, field access, travel and hotel monies and yes even acces to who plays and who doesn’t. This will continue and has already played out in college sports with mega conferences Like the Power 5 gobbling up Universities to further their geographic footprint and create cable channels Big 10 network, longhorn tv, Pac 12, etc. So far 3 NWSL teams have folded and been absorbed by MLS clubs. NASL is currently suing US Soccer for D2 sanctioning stays that US is denying them. Small independent clubs FC Cincinnati, NY Cosmos, etc are being forced out of the market place not by consumers or inferior Soccer but by US Soccer denying access to sanctioning them. The same tactics are seen with youth club Soccer. This does not grow the game but further erodes local small market clubs the serves the people and players in that community. This is not a conspiracy it’s not fiction, it’s reality, and starts with US Soccer.

Well done, if these merges, consolidations, affiliations and all these other cross agreements where audited or sanctioned some would not get approved or loose there's status, but it's the wild west, whoever has the bigger or faster guns wins.

#Dos Equis there you have...a former community club taken over by a pusedo corporation run by lawyers and bankers so they can make "no profit". The like to work for free, no profit motivation at all as a result there continues to be fewer community clubs as the the mega pusedo corps further gobble up the competition and put those to work that helped them with the "conflicts" of interest.

If your Friday is slow start reading up on SUM, Soccer United Marketing. The Gestapo of US Soccer. See how far that arm reaches into the Soccer landscape.

......WC is not merging with Surf, they are merging with Surf Cup Sports.

Didn't say they were merging. It said partnership. So its not clear at all.

My guess is that its a takeover and that OCSurf probably sits peer to SD Surf SC, since they own them too under the new structure. Merging would imply that WC somehow now runs Surf Cup Sports jointly, which probably is not the case.

I do find all of this sad....

Soon there only will be original and variants of:
Surf
LAG
Strikers
Slammers

Pats looking bit small now. Real SoCal and FCGS looks small amongst big boys period.

All others are mom and pop shops now...

So DA will have 2 Galaxy teams (LAG and LAGSD) and 2 Surf Teams (Surf and Surf OC). ECNL will also have 2 Surf teams if they take over DMCV or will ECNL force them to combine the ECNL teams leaving an opening for another CLUB?

"Surf Cup Sports also manages the Surf brand and provides operational support to Surf clubs as well as the benefits of broader relationships with partners that include Nike, Manchester City FC, Soccer.com and many others."

I don't have any particular insight, but if the above is accurate and I'm reading into it correctly, it would seem to be more of a license/franchise of the Surf Brand and some "operational support" in exchange for some sort of consideration ($$$).

I do find all of this sad....

Soon there only will be original and variants of:
Surf
LAG
Strikers
Slammers

Pats looking bit small now. Real SoCal and FCGS looks small amongst big boys period.

All others are mom and pop shops now...
Yep. Who needs SCDSL or State Cup?
Just have a Surf league, a Galaxy league, a Strikers and a Slammers League. Set up tournaments among the equally weighted teams from each club.
Charge everyone the same money as now, but reduce all of your costs.

Yep. Who needs SCDSL or State Cup?
Just have a Surf league, a Galaxy league, a Strikers and a Slammers League. Set up tournaments among the equally weighted teams from each club.
Charge everyone the same money as now, but reduce all of your costs.

Surf West Coast Cup labor day'ish tournament coming soon.... instead of the $1.9k fee we get for Surf cup, reduced to 1.7k or only about $1k$ more than West Coast Classic was.

Surf West Coast Cup labor day'ish tournament coming soon.... instead of the $1.9k fee we get for Surf cup, reduced to 1.7k or only about $1k$ more than West Coast Classic was.
OC Surf will never give their tournament away !! Largest two day soccer tournament in the United States and directed by two fantastic people !! Love helping them with their event each year.

The second hand info I got said, WC was sold to Surf. Not a franchise. Don't know if true but this makes senses to me as Surf name, I don't think, adds much if any to WC.
I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. WC pays their staff better then we all get paid in the neiborhood and are probably financially better off then most clubs. I don't think a non-profit club can be bought !!

Maybe everyone needs to put their speculations away. There are many players, families and coaches whom this will deeply affect. Time will tell as to the nature of this merger/acquisition/purchase or whatever it is.
Something tells me that OC Surf will be the power house club to work for starting this next season !! Who wouldn't want their child to be part of a club that has all of the necessary pathways for the future growth in the game of soccer.

Two much merging...ugh.
The good part about this one is that its not a merger but a partnership with all of the right things needed to build a power house program.
I wish every club success but now I feel myself looking for a change and join OC Surf both as a players parent and maybe a coach as well.

Back