Welcome to South Valley Surf

Parents are well aware of bending the rules and they should set a better example for their own kids. If they want to play both don’t play DA and don’t try to go around the rules for their own benefit (the parents) and then blame someone else for being exposed. Sacrifices are made all the time. Explaining it to your kid and letting them know they have to make a choice DA/no high school or another league/and play high school is a great way to have a conversation with your kid and give them control of their own soccer path and decision making instead of bending rules to have your “cake and eat it too”.

The only players that I know personally with waivers are not rich. The waivers protect their needs-based high school scholarships. Not all DA clubs will allow it though.

my experience is the opposite with those I know, mostly rich families have the waivers. I’d guess it’s a combination of the two, if the coach can work the system and the kid helps them win it will be done....

But honestly i am uncomfortable with kids getting named in this, please everyone respect those U18 when it comes to negative postings......

Parents are well aware of bending the rules and they should set a better example for their own kids. If they want to play both don’t play DA and don’t try to go around the rules for their own benefit (the parents) and then blame someone else for being exposed. Sacrifices are made all the time. Explaining it to your kid and letting them know they have to make a choice DA/no high school or another league/and play high school is a great way to have a conversation with your kid and give them control of their own soccer path and decision making instead of bending rules to have your “cake and eat it too”.
How is it breaking a rule if private schools can give out waivers? It’s not a public school they are attending. Confused here. Trust me I don’t believe that only players from private schools should get waivers, not right! But again don’t see them doing anything wrong here if the rules are only giving “private school students” waivers.

my experience is the opposite with those I know, mostly rich families have the waivers. I’d guess it’s a combination of the two, if the coach can work the system and the kid helps them win it will be done....

But honestly i am uncomfortable with kids getting named in this, please everyone respect those U18 when it comes to negative postings......
Yes, good rule. @Mic Nificent no harm no foul. When I got here to the fabulous forum in 2013 dads were saying all sorts of things about my #7 back then.

When my dd got back from NC from first DA showcase almost 2 years ago, it was one of those big girl talks about HS Soccer and that everyone at the DA said ZERO HS Soccer. No one talking waivers yet when first announced btw. So we sat down and I said, "you can't eat your cake and have ice cream too. You must pick cake (DA) or ice cream (hs soccer), you can't have both honey." It was painful to watch her go through that pain knowing what it meant if she chose ice cream over cake and you can't have both. She went with Mint Chip, her favorite. She was sad because who doesn't like a little chocolate cake with ice cream? All was good until we saw other kids (parents fault btw, leave the kids out of this) get both cake and ice cream. We again had to sit down and talk about how some get what they want because they have access to all the cake & ice cream they want and they get both always and that is how life sometimes works. My hope is to find away before my dd graduates HS that she can have is much cake and ice cream as the next playa!!!

Last edited:
Similar situation at J Serra. While not the “da” team, a big majority of the ecnl team is playing in high school with their ecnl coach.
Just keep those teams in the same league and at D1 for CIF playoffs. I think it's awesome kids can get a free private school education or 50% off deal through sports. Laguna will always be ready to take on Goliath anytime, anywhere as long as it;s not a league game or CIF Playoffs.

Zero info? I have experience and insight unlike many so I can surly help parents out. I experience the Surf shit first hand and saw families stressed out looking for a team because no ECNL which was sold to the parents and then they got sold DPL as I did by the new Doc so my little goat could play HS Soccer. However, Coach Chavez gets to do both and so do his players. If coach Chavez took the DPL Directorship then I think I would be ok with that. This is so wrong I can puke on xmas night. Wow, what a xmas surprise.

Who was selling ECNL? Because I was a manager at SCA, and was still manager when we became LA Surf, and then finally with the LA Premier merger. And I can tell you 1st hand from our manager meetings, no one in there was trying to sell ECNL. What we were told in those meetings pre LAPFC was that LA Surf was going to apply to both ECNL and DA, and they would likely go with whoever said yes 1st. Coach Chav wanted ECNL, but then with the LAPFC merger, they got instant DA/DPL. But I've never heard anyone at our San Marino Chapter of Surf try to sell DPL as a ECNL substitute.

Is it true that SoCal was going ECNL or was that just a rumor to keep the older goats who wanted HS Soccer to leave for ECNL and then pull the DPL card out and make the high school players DPs except for coach Chavez and his squad?
Not true at all

Who was selling ECNL? Because I was a manager at SCA, and was still manager when we became LA Surf, and then finally with the LA Premier merger. And I can tell you 1st hand from our manager meetings, no one in there was trying to sell ECNL. What we were told in those meetings pre LAPFC was that LA Surf was going to apply to both ECNL and DA, and they would likely go with whoever said yes 1st. Coach Chav wanted ECNL, but then with the LAPFC merger, they got instant DA/DPL. But I've never heard anyone at our San Marino Chapter of Surf try to sell DPL as a ECNL substitute.

Not true at all

You talk like you're an authority but clearly have zero clue what you're talking about buddy. All you heard at manager's meeting is what everyone who is actually in the know wanted you to hear so you could parrot it. The real meetings were at the LAPFC side with Surf, SCA was a pawn in a much bigger game.

just heard an interesting story about this. i heard la premier had plans to join Surf for some time now. Surf had some reservations because la premier teams especially in the younger ages have not been very successful and prospects were slim. their had been rumors about financial troubles at socal academy so they approached Chavez about joining la premier and starting la surf. he did not think his parents would follow knowing la premier was involved so they came of with a plan to have Chavez announce socal academy and other smaller clubs creating la surf first and once parents were committed then la premier would announce their plans to join. i just about fell of my chair when i heard this.

This is an interesting take. I've always liked BR and so I'm not going to share everything I know but the fact is LAPFC and BR worked it all out WAY before it was announced publicly and lots of peeps knew. Estban Chavez got $ and DA waivers for his flintridge academy high school team as compensation for being owned by Barry. I'm happy how it ended up becuz although we lost the LAPFC name LA Surf is LA Premier reborn and bigger than ever and growing in the safe hands of BR. #LAPFCproud #LASURFproud

When an organization grows larger and larger only a few players will benefit that would have had a benefit in any environment because they are elite players- the rest of the benefit goes to the pocket books of those running the show.

Parents need to be informed and not suckered in by propaganda. As has been said many times on this forum, pick the coach that believes in your player, knows how to develop and train players, has solid college connections, and creates a healthy environment. It has always astounded me when fathers let grown men treat their daughters with disdain and manipulation. Teach your daughters to have a voice and be strong not to doubt themselves and their own assessment of someone

.....The real meetings were at the LAPFC side with Surf, SCA was a pawn in a much bigger game.

..... Estban Chavez got $ and DA waivers for his flintridge academy high school team as compensation for being owned by Barry.

..... #LAPFCproud

that’s the real press release - so are you saying another good solid coach sold out for the money and name? Who knows what the players will get out of any of this. Why are you #LAPFCproud when you are so happy to get rid of the name?

Last edited:
that’s the real press release - so are you saying another good solid coach sold out for the money and name? Who knows what the players will get out of any of this. Why are you #LAPFCproud when you are so happy to get rid of the name?

that is a fair Q and initially I was upset to loose our LAPFC name but having spoken with BR and NG the essence of our club lives on as they still run the show so hopefully all our DDs are still in good hands

and I would not agree with Chaves being a good coach from all I have heard and seen but he did get results with great players back in the day as he is a good recruiter but not so much anymore unless he can recruit again now like he did from lapfc and fcgs when at sca

JV6 said:
"Who was selling ECNL? Because I was a manager at SCA, and was still manager when we became LA Surf, and then finally with the LA Premier merger. And I can tell you 1st hand from our manager meetings, no one in there was trying to sell ECNL. What we were told in those meetings pre LAPFC was that LA Surf was going to apply to both ECNL and DA, and they would likely go with whoever said yes 1st. Coach Chav wanted ECNL, but then with the LAPFC merger, they got instant DA/DPL. But I've never heard anyone at our San Marino Chapter of Surf try to sell DPL as a ECNL"substitute."

Firstly, let me say to all the Team Managers (TMs) who work hard for the kids and volunteer their time helping with the soccer teams, thank you :)My wife is one this year for HS Soccer (4 months only, yay!!!) so I see how much it can be a full time job for free. My wife has a great attitude and never complains. She could never do club soccer. She would be eaten alive.
Secondly, if your with the Team Manager Police (TMPs) then I don't have much empathy for you. Just keeping it real. My dd and I have had to deal with those types and they're a part of the problem. They report directory to the coach and Doc. One of her old coaches told me that's where he got the scoop on what the parents were saying and doing and what kids were doing outside of soccer.
Thirdly, Surf sold me ECNL for 2018-2019 season. This was because my dd wanted to play in the 2018-2019 high school soccer season. New Doc called me and offered ECNL 100%. He just joined the club so it's possible he had no clue. I was in on the inside with the previous Doc & coach and they told me they went "All In DA" which we all know what that means now. They both said it was a big mistake and they no more at the club. New Doc said she could play with the 02 ECNL team to make it more challenging for her. I thought about it for 1 second and said, "no thank you." Nice guy he was and a pleasure to talk with. Seems like a great Doc and wish him and his family nothing but the best. He came to clean up the past Doc's mess I think too......
I don't know how long later it was but right before the cut off for the next year's season, BAMB!!!!!! No ECNL, new league called DPL. Now let's think about this. How long in the making was the DPL league? Who wanted DPL? Legends? Maybe Beach? Blues wanted it for their 3rd team but they told them to go pound sand, you already have DA and ECNL and we surly are not going to allow you to have the Trifecta in today's competitive soccer biz.
Fast forward to this year: I have a dear friend who shared his story with me and I aksed a few others and it's holding up well. He's a dad with a wife and few kiddos. Hard working family from LA. Anyway, they were told or sold or made to believe that ECNL was on the Horizon at SoCal and Coach wanted it badly. He does coach at a great HS btw. LA Surf said they were in meetings to make ECNL happen so they could also be like the Blues and offer both. Only way to have both is to win and win is what the Blues have been doing since club soccer was created by those guys in the 80s.
To finish, they were not sold ECNL but DPL instead. This guy is a smart dude and he also thought hard and long for 1 second and said, "hell no." He had I think a week or two to make calls to ECNL. He found a spot. I hear this year all the TMs at ECNL clubs are now FT dispartchers fielding questions for next years squad. Lot't of choices for all of us to make and I've learned as has my dd that you can't always have cake and ice cream.

Last edited:

Now that Trump has been impeached, I think the Russian troll farms have refocused their efforts on the So Cal soccer scene. #LAPFCproud #kag

Reactions: JV6
.....Parents need to be informed and not suckered in by propaganda. As has been said many times on this forum, pick the coach that believes in your player, knows how to develop and train players, has solid college connections, and creates a healthy environment. It has always astounded me when fathers let grown men treat their daughters with disdain and manipulation. Teach your daughters to have a voice and be strong not to doubt themselves and their own assessment of someone
Having had 2 girls with 2 very different paths make it thru the SoCal landscape, it has been my experience that Coaches and/or DOC’s that promise or sell the most actually have the least to offer.

I don't know how long later it was but right before the cut off for the next year's season, BAMB!!!!!! No ECNL, new league called DPL. Now let's think about this. How long in the making was the DPL league?
When RSL (Utah Royals- AZ) got DA they were also promoting their ECNL side. I remember 2 meetings, each a week apart.

First meeting: DOC telling everyone there that RSL is one of something like 8 clubs that has BOTH DA and ECNL. How lucky we were to be part of the club. Some parent asked about DPL. DPL had been started a year earlier and for instance del Sol was in it. His response was DPL isnt even a league. Not worth our time. DPL is a joke. ECNL is where it is at.

Second meeting (one week later): During that week 2 clubs in AZ got ECNL and RSL lost ECNL. So the DOC is talking about how great DA is, etc. Some parent asks about ECNL and what happened. DOC says ECNL is second rate and how lucky the club is to have DPL. And DPL is where it is at. You want the top? DA. Your kids wants HS but still everything else? DPL.

I was like WOW. Just one week apart the story changed that much. I wondered how many people caught the slight of hand, or were most just looking at and thinking DA and missed how the story changed in 7 days between ECNL and DPL.

Back