Watch the play, not just the ball!

it completely depends on the CR.

I have had some who explicitly ask for help seeing what they can’t see. Others seem to take it as a personal affront if you signal a foul. Or misinterpret your foul signal as though it were offside.

I am not sure what I should do as an AR if the game is getting unsafe but the center wants to call it loose and thinks he has it under control.

maybe surfref or baldref has thoughts on it. definitely happens, though.
Most referees are open to feedback from fellow referees, but there are a few pompous asses that think they walk on water and do not want any feedback.

Most DA games have referees that use wireless communications and talk to each other in real time and the spectators never hear anything. I have worked with one or two referees that do not take input or even look at their ARs. They are not the norm and I try to avoid working with them. The majority of the DA refs are the best you can get in SoCal.

I know they use wireless communications. It's not secret. Which is why I don't understand why refs don't work with each other better. And I've also notice that it seems that refs are working in crews of 3, the same, week in week out. Do you have assignors or make your own teams for DA games. Again, what is DA protocol for AR? I'm legitimately trying to understand more as a spectator.

The problem is that Americans are used to the way fouls are called in other sports.
Basketball- Ref will call a foul for a handcheck on a defender that has very little impact on the offensive player. Or will call a foul away from the ball that has zero impact on a team's ability to score a basket in that moment. Or a call for stepping over the halfline (over and back) that doesn't really impact the play. But those are the rules and you'd never hear anyone say "well, he just stepped over the midcourt line by a few inches, so let the game be played."
Hand checks slow down a guard that tries to drive and allows a defender to play tighter defense.
A foul away from the ball can keep player from cutting to the basket, getting open, or defending properly.
Over and back needs to be called as it allows a team to trap a player at the half court line, usually near the sideline.

Hey, my daughter is playing varsity basketball. Need to stay up on these rules as well. :)

Most DA games have referees that use wireless communications and talk to each other in real time and the spectators never hear anything. I have worked with one or two referees that do not take input or even look at their ARs. They are not the norm and I try to avoid working with them. The majority of the DA refs are the best you can get in SoCal.
According to the DA manual for referees, electronic communications and devices such as sprays and if I remember correctly, beeper flags, are not to be used by referees. There might be special circumstances that they are allowed for playoffs and Finals. This piece of information was new in this year's manual, it's to get referees to work on eye contact and their mechanics...

According to the DA manual for referees, electronic communications and devices such as sprays and if I remember correctly, beeper flags, are not to be used by referees. There might be special circumstances that they are allowed for playoffs and Finals. This piece of information was new in this year's manual, it's to get referees to work on eye contact and their mechanics...

Is this the most recent DA referee manual?

I've never seen refs using electronic communication in any DA game that I've observed.

It looks like this is the one. https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/document/fb55-1629715/2019-20_Referee_Manual_2_USSDA.pdf

It also looks like as Art stated that the use of wireless communications is prohibited.

non sequitur from page 15 --

Reminder: The Development Academy is a development league. Therefore, electronic communication devices and vanishing spray is prohibited from all Development Academy games.

Also from Page 6 - "Adidas apparel (except shoes) " is "unacceptable dress".

It looks like they have more fundamental problems that the demonstrated lack of development.

non sequitur from page 15 --

Reminder: The Development Academy is a development league. Therefore, electronic communication devices and vanishing spray is prohibited from all Development Academy games.

Also from Page 6 - "Adidas apparel (except shoes) " is "unacceptable dress".

It looks like they have more fundamental problems that the demonstrated lack of development.

The Nike/Adidas rivalry shows up on pages 2, 3, 6, and 7.

Fouls are never mentioned.

It's clear what is important: cashing the check from Nike.

The Nike/Adidas rivalry shows up on pages 2, 3, 6, and 7.

Fouls are never mentioned.

It's clear what is important: cashing the check from Nike.

There is also a lot of description and examples of how complicated the substitution rules are, in spite of "Reminder: The Development Academy is a development league". Or, as I have put it before - making up rules why players can't play, instead of enabling them to play.

For me the mental part of being a referee is much more tiring and difficult than the physical aspect. I don’t think that most people realize the degree of the mental aspect of refereeing. Of course, a referee has to know the LOTG, how to implement them and recognize infractions. A referee has to also know how to read the game. By this I mean, recognize the formations the teams are playing and how they modify it throughout the game. Recognize the individual player’s strengths, weaknesses and playing characteristics. Keep track of the “bad actors” (players that may cause problems) and recognize the players that could help the referee control the game and those bad actors. Manage the coaches. Many coaches spend the first 5-10 minutes trying to see what the referee will allow them to get away with. Recognizing the coach’s game management style and how it affects the play of the players. Referees have to track the players that commit the fouls and are fouled and try to manage them in a way that will reduce the likelihood of further fouls or retaliation. Then you throw in all of the noise from the sidelines and how it affects the play of the players.

All of that makes me mentally tired. I can physically work 4 games with two as 90 minute centers in a day and still feel physically able to work a fifth game. Where I get tired is mentally. That is why I quickly address parents that yell at me, so it takes away one mental process. I also will firmly address coaches early in a game in an effort to get them coaching their team and not me.
I completely agree with the sentiment about the mental aspect being one of the biggest aspects of refereeing. Out of the last 2 years, my hands down worst games I have officiated were: 1. that day I have woken up early to bail my friend out of jail for a DUI after we had hung out together the previous evening. That weighed heavily on my mind (survivors guilt, I didn't think he had as much as he did) and later that day, the game I did (a U12 DA) had both sets of parents almost fight with each other, both mad at me, and a red card for an 11 year old kid. Horrible day. And the other terrible game I had 3 hours of sleep and left work having issues on Friday.

Both those games I was just as physically fit, and had the same understanding of the laws as I always did. But, it was entirely the mental aspect.

Also, on a more funny anecdote. I remember in like the 88th minute of a game I thought to myself "Wow, the ball hasn't hit me once this whole game, my positioning has been on point," not 10 seconds later, a kid whacks me with the ball because I was careless about my positioning because I was daydreaming about how good my positioning was. So even a temporary lapse in your mental can affect your game. Good luck to the referee doing his 5th game of the day and him trying to focus the full 80-90.

I completely agree with the sentiment about the mental aspect being one of the biggest aspects of refereeing. Out of the last 2 years, my hands down worst games I have officiated were: 1. that day I have woken up early to bail my friend out of jail for a DUI after we had hung out together the previous evening. That weighed heavily on my mind (survivors guilt, I didn't think he had as much as he did) and later that day, the game I did (a U12 DA) had both sets of parents almost fight with each other, both mad at me, and a red card for an 11 year old kid. Horrible day. And the other terrible game I had 3 hours of sleep and left work having issues on Friday.

Both those games I was just as physically fit, and had the same understanding of the laws as I always did. But, it was entirely the mental aspect.

Also, on a more funny anecdote. I remember in like the 88th minute of a game I thought to myself "Wow, the ball hasn't hit me once this whole game, my positioning has been on point," not 10 seconds later, a kid whacks me with the ball because I was careless about my positioning because I was daydreaming about how good my positioning was. So even a temporary lapse in your mental can affect your game. Good luck to the referee doing his 5th game of the day and him trying to focus the full 80-90.
I know exactly where you are coming from with the DUI story. My worst high school game in the last decade which included red carding a coach and two of his players happened on the day (Friday at 3pm) the doctor told me I had a rare form of skin cancer (not sun exposure related) and would need surgery the following Tuesday. It also didn’t help that I had a lazy AR and the other AR forgot his shoes and was using black dress shoes which affect his ability to run. I managed the game fairly well, but made a basic mistake at the end of the game. The winner of the game would win their league. I had already issued the coach a yellow card and knew he was upset with me and the dress shoes AR. The other team had just scored the go ahead goal (2-1) on a play that the coach thought was offside with 5 minutes to play. My mistake, and had I not been mentally tired would not have made, was to end the game with the ball and me near the pissed off coach’s bench which gave him the opportunity to run onto the field yelling profanities at me. Then I did not get away from the coach and his players quick enough before two players used profanity toward me and spit at me and my AR. I should have waited until the ball was away from his sideline, so he would not have had an easy shot at me and I and the referee crew could have quickly left the field without any hassle. I also should have contacted the assignor and told him I needed a replacement and why. I have know that assignor for many years and he would have completely understood. Lesson learned and that will not happen again.

I watched a G18/19 DA game on 19 October in San Diego County and the referee crew used headsets. So, evidently not all referees know about the DA manual’s prohibition on electronic devices.

I watched a G18/19 DA game on 19 October in San Diego County and the referee crew used headsets. So, evidently not all referees know about the DA manual’s prohibition on electronic devices.
It has been a couple of years, but I could have sworn I had seen GDA games in OC with a very good ref crew that used headsets. I am not sure why there would be a prohibition on headsets. They were among the best refs I had seen.

Back