Verbally Abusive Coaches

What should players and parents do to stop verbally abusive coaches towards players? As you can imagine, there is always the fear of retaliation since coaches feel that they have all the power. Seeking thoughts on best ways to handle. Success stories?

What should players and parents do to stop verbally abusive coaches towards players? As you can imagine, there is always the fear of retaliation since coaches feel that they have all the power. Seeking thoughts on best ways to handle. Success stories?
I suppose it’s always best to go into it thinking “Blue Sky” scenario and that a coach is going to change based on feedback, so depending on the players age a conversation should be had with the coach to address the specifics, either by the player or parent.

When my kids were younger I would usually have the initial talk about my players personality when bringing them to a new team or coach and share what works best for my kid with them.

My oldest was always the kid who preferred to by taught than yelled at, she needed constructive criticism to know how to fix what needed fixing.

My youngest in contrast was very resilient when coaches would “push” her and yell and scream in frustration over their inadequacies to properly train / coach.

But overall I don’t have a success story to share, coaches who are truly verbally abusive beyond just being loud are toxic and there are too many other good coaches who can get results without using that style. My advice would be that 99% of the time you get outta of that unfixable situation. I kept my youngest in that scenario too long having confused “tough it out” with “this isn’t right” and she quit playing altogether.

I dont have a resolution but I can relay what I've seen happen to different coaches that yelled at kids.

Coach #1 was a Field and Futsal coach. He would yell 90% negative and 10% positive at the players in Field games. During his tenure as coach he ran all kinds of players away. In 3 years the club probably lost 20+ because of him. As a Futsal coach he'd yell even more at the players and just to be a double loser if his team was losing he'd walk off the court early leaving the players to fend for themselves. Overall 9 out of 10 parents would get away from him over time. 1 in 10 would parents seek him out I can only assume because they like being treated poorly.

Coach #2 would yell at his Field and Futsal players but you could tell that when he did it he wasnt being mean or negative about it. Players and parents (over time) loved him. Being blunt and obvious (at volume 10) made it easy for players to know how to improve.

Coach #3 would yell at her Field teams in weird ways that didnt make sense. Comments like "try faster" or "run better". Over a 3 year tenure her teams got worse and worse (without losing players) and her competition got better and better. Leadership in the club identified the trend and limited the teams shes involved with.

None of the clubs specifically stopped coaches from yelling at kids. Also if successful I can see a situation where abusive coaches would get worse and worse (as long as their winning). Some parents seek out coaches that yell especially if they're winning.

As a parent I always stayed away from the coaches that yell until we came across the one that was loud but not mean. Players loved him + sought him out. His results are amazing. He is primarily a boys coach but in Futsal works with girls and they like him just as much as the boys do.

So I've discovered that there can be good coaches that yell. But, most of the time yelling + coaching are a bad combination and it doesnt work. I'm also amazed at parents at associate yelling with being a good coach.

I dont have a resolution but I can relay what I've seen happen to different coaches that yelled at kids.

Coach #1 was a Field and Futsal coach. He would yell 90% negative and 10% positive at the players in Field games. During his tenure as coach he ran all kinds of players away. In 3 years the club probably lost 20+ because of him. As a Futsal coach he'd yell even more at the players and just to be a double loser if his team was losing he'd walk off the court early leaving the players to fend for themselves. Overall 9 out of 10 parents would get away from him over time. 1 in 10 would parents seek him out I can only assume because they like being treated poorly.

Coach #2 would yell at his Field and Futsal players but you could tell that when he did it he wasnt being mean or negative about it. Players and parents (over time) loved him. Being blunt and obvious (at volume 10) made it easy for players to know how to improve.

Coach #3 would yell at her Field teams in weird ways that didnt make sense. Comments like "try faster" or "run better". Over a 3 year tenure her teams got worse and worse (without losing players) and her competition got better and better. Leadership in the club identified the trend and limited the teams shes involved with.

None of the clubs specifically stopped coaches from yelling at kids. Also if successful I can see a situation where abusive coaches would get worse and worse (as long as their winning). Some parents seek out coaches that yell especially if they're winning.

As a parent I always stayed away from the coaches that yell until we came across the one that was loud but not mean. Players loved him + sought him out. His results are amazing. He is primarily a boys coach but in Futsal works with girls and they like him just as much as the boys do.

So I've discovered that there can be good coaches that yell. But, most of the time yelling + coaching are a bad combination and it doesnt work. I'm also amazed at parents at associate yelling with being a good coach.
Coach #1- "Stop crying. Are you on your period again?"
Coach #2- "Let's face it, you're fat and you need to lose weight or else."
Coach #3- "If you leave, you will be labeled a club hopper."
Coach#4- "I know everyone in the game. Do as I say and all will go well for you. Don't you ever question me."
Coach #5- "If you get recruits mommy phone number, I will give you 5 candy bars. Keep in mine I run the TC and make the selections for my area for "The List."
Coach #6- "HSS is the worse sport ever. It sucks!!! Do NOT play HSS. If you do, you will be taken off the radar and blacklisted."

Speak the fuck up and say something Godfather, even if the Doc or coach make you feel that if you speak up, your kid will be blacklisted and the father will be labeled a crazy dad and all that other shit. These rich dads who got their greedy hands on this sport need to get out because they bring the yellers and abusers to the arena. Unfortunately, no success stories as of today, except to say it feels amazing to speak up. The prick might just be right about my kid being blocked entry. We shall see and I hope to report back to all that a success story or two came from speaking up ((not popular to do three years ago)). This is what happens when assholes and liars to 12 & 13 year old girls take charge of the most popular sport in the world. I told you all that a big acid wash and bleach clean down was in order. Ass wipes that treat girls and woman like shit need to go, now!!!!

Last edited:
Speak the fuck up and say something, even if the Doc or coach make you feel that if you speak up, your kid will be blacklisted and the father will be labeled a crazy dad and all that other shit. These rich dads who got their greedy hands on this sport need to get out because they bring the yellers and abusers to the arena. Unfortunately, no success stories as of today, except to say it feels amazing to speak up. The prick might just be right about my kid being blocked entry. We shall see and I hope to report back to all that a success came from speaking up ((not popular to do three years ago)) when assholes and liars take charge of the most popular sport in the world. I told you all that a big acid wash and bleach clean down was in order. Ass wipes that treat girls and woman like shit need to go, now!!!!

Crush nailed it.

Club soccer is infested by has not's with money trying to control clubs and coaches.

Problem with speaking up is everything he posted. Nothing gets accomplished except having some self gratitude. Be prepared to write a large check to the club along with volunteering endless hours if you want to see results in your favor.

We are so watered down in soccer and in society that you cant share the truth because the truth hurts and when someone feels pain, they attack the messenger. Big babies and big cheaters!!!

1619701982791.png

I suppose it’s always best to go into it thinking “Blue Sky” scenario and that a coach is going to change based on feedback, so depending on the players age a conversation should be had with the coach to address the specifics, either by the player or parent.

When my kids were younger I would usually have the initial talk about my players personality when bringing them to a new team or coach and share what works best for my kid with them.

My oldest was always the kid who preferred to by taught than yelled at, she needed constructive criticism to know how to fix what needed fixing.

My experience in a nutshell. Should've left as soon as the coach told me it's to get them ready for college...as 10 year olds.

My experience in a nutshell. Should've left as soon as the coach told me it's to get them ready for college...as 10 year olds.
I had TM & coach get all in my kids kool aid in 7th grade because she didnt bring homework on the road for study time. They took her cell phone a way because she had no homework. I told them never to take my kids phone away and they said sorry. They did get a last wise crack on me saying that my kid is not ready for college and if you ever want her to go to ______________________________ you best get her to bring a freaking book to read next time. Insane!!!! Question to my hoop pals. Does AAU pull this crap on 7th & 8th grade basketball players playing on the road?

Praise Publicly Criticize Privately

Questions I’d like to ask Coaches 1,2 3 and 4:

Were you a player? Did you just not make the next level and turn to coaching to stay in the game? As a player, did your coach yell and scream, or teach through instruction?

End of the day, every single coach is a reflection of the team setting he or she grew up in, just like all of us are a reflection of the home we grew up in.

Overlay the wide range of nationalities that are represented in youth soccer coaches, and you have to consider social norms from other countries.

I know that there’s training for coaches to earn their licenses, etc but curious if that training includes a behavioral component?

Were you a player? Did you just not make the next level and turn to coaching to stay in the game? As a player, did your coach yell and scream, or teach through instruction?

End of the day, every single coach is a reflection of the team setting he or she grew up in, just like all of us are a reflection of the home we grew up in.

Overlay the wide range of nationalities that are represented in youth soccer coaches, and you have to consider social norms from other countries.

I know that there’s training for coaches to earn their licenses, etc but curious if that training includes a behavioral component?
I remember U10 like it was 7 years ago. Two of the top teams playing for first place. The other team put their biggest and best defender on my kid. It was the first time I ever heard the phrase "man mark her," I was saying, "why is that big kid attacking my kid, clipping her, pushing her down and following her everywhere she goes?" It was the first real time where I thought to myself, "wow, she must be a good soccer player if they have to pull that stunt." Anyway, the other team had one of the best players in Socal at the time. Her asshole male coach with no kids was pissed off because she was taking a day off and we were up 2-0. Dude yells, "Hey __________________________, you are the best player on the field, stop being lazy and get it together." I kid you not. Everyone heard that punk and we felt so embarrassed for the great player. Last I heard she quit playing the game and the coach got arrested.

Why do you think it is possible to make them stop?

Best of luck to your kid.

Why do you think it is possible to make them stop?

Best of luck to your kid.
All things are possible if you and the rest speak up. I know who won't speak up and there lies the problem. It's not a lot, it's only a few snobs who control everything and take care of their own first.

I had a coach yell at my daughter as a 9 year old so badly that she started to tear up- the proceeded to ask my daughter if she "understood english". Mind you- this was in the middle of the entire team, practice stopped and all.
I'm sorry to hear that. I had a coach ask my dd ((12 years old at the time I might add)) what her mom looked like because he said the top male coaches can tell what the finish female will look like when she's 18. I kid you not. Another time after my dd gave up 16 months of her early teen life to help win #10 National Championship, a Doc told her she was a lock to make the list ((he picked)) but under three conditions: "You can;t play HSS, get said recruits mom's phone number and tell your old man to STFU."

Last edited:
I have a funny story to tell about a coach that liked to yell at the players...

We were at one of those big tournaments where fields are right next to each other and multiple teams were playing at the same time. I had a splitting headache from the night before. In the field across from / next to us this coach was going off on what looked like U10 girls. The coach was being so obnoxious that I was getting annoyed. He was also being a complete ass saying negative things. About half way through their game I couldn't take it anymore + the headache was kicking in big time so I waited until a break in the action (he would take this time to dig even harder into the girls) and I yelled... (Hey $hithead stop yelling at the girls) Everyone from mutliple teams heard it and the parents in our group started to laugh. I'm sure other's were doing the same. The coach tried to stare me down but quickly realized it wasn't going to do anything. The rest of the game he was toned down enough to make my headache tolerable. I was expecting a "meet me in the parking lot" situation but it never happened.

Some would say it's "tough love" other abuse. can be a thin line between the two

Now a days with all the camera phones coaches are being called on it more.

In the long term likely consider a change, if it involves threats document, escalate and speak with management.

In previous generations there was more tolerance but not so much now. Some would turn a blind eye as long as the coach was successful

This is based on my own experiences, so take it with a grain of salt.

Short answer: Leave the club and email the DOC and the directors why you're leaving but don't be a whiny snowflake about it. Say something like "Due to the repeated bullying behavior by Coach X we have decided to leave the club. His behavior has taken away my son's/daughter's passion for the game and I'm very concerned that if we were to stay that it might negatively impact the long-term soccer development of my child"

Long answer: As other's have pointed out yelling can run the spectrum from harmless to seriously impacting your child's self esteem. We all have different ideas as to what constitutes abusive behavior. (SafeSport has formal definitions of what constitutes Emotional Misconduct and Bullying). To really qualify it needs to be repeated behavior, and not just a random one off where they made your child cry. Do your best to figure out where the coaches behavior fits on the spectrum before going up the chain of command. Coaches that are abusive typically are compensating for their own lack of knowledge regarding the game and/or own inability to effectively teach children. Too many coaches use the same methods for teaching adults as they do children. Those coaches are idiots. (Just FYI I don't care for the term "teach", I think soccer is a sport you "learn", but maybe that's just semantics). Keep in mind that the DOC already knows that your coach is an asshole and has done nothing about it, so don't expect him or her to be very sympathetic to your complaint. If you want to raise an issue, raise it with the board members. Out of protocol you should probably address this issue with the coach first, but the odds of that being productive are slim to none. Remember coaches think your an idiot parent that knows nothing about coaching soccer. Further soccer clubs don't consider parents to be a customer, but instead only think of parents as an annoyance, which is only true for a small percentage of parents. Also if others parents on your team have the same concerns don't expect them to voice those to the club as well. Assume you are going it alone and be prepared for the club to do nothing about it.

One of the problems with bullying is that it often works...in the short term. Which is all most coaches care about anyway.

The best way to avoid bullying is to do your own due diligence before joining a team. Never, never, ever go to a tryout blind without knowing who the coach will be and having attended some of their practices. This not only helps your child in the tryout process, but gives you a good idea of whether a coach is a good fit for your child. Also check out your coaches bio on the clubs website (this is tongue and cheek), and if their bio says that they had a "a promising pro career derailed by a knee injury in college (usually Div II)" that's a red flag that they are going to try to live their glory through a bunch of U12's.

At the end of the day us parents really have only ourselves to blame for abusive coaches. Of course my advice is easier said then done. The most abusive coaches usually are coaching the top teams and parents have FOMO and/or fear of retaliation if they say anything. But keep in mind there are dozen of top teams out there.

PS: If possible finish the season if your child can stand to do it, I think its a good lesson for the kids to overcome diversity. I told my son, "look the coach is a total asshole, but try to ignore the demeaning comments and try to focus on what he is teaching soccerwise."

That's a big part of the problem today. A coach that played D1 soccer 20 years ago - If you think college soccer is a crappy level now. Have you seen a game from 20 years ago in the US? Possession wasn't a word that anybody used. Coaches were either foreign transplants or someone with very little soccer experience.

Some would say it's "tough love" other abuse. can be a thin line between the two

Now a days with all the camera phones coaches are being called on it more.

In the long term likely consider a change, if it involves threats document, escalate and speak with management.

In previous generations there was more tolerance but not so much now. Some would turn a blind eye as long as the coach was successful
I wanted to play for Bob Knight but I wasnt good enough. Wooden would have been to my liking too but I needed a kick in the ass from a coach Knight, just being honest here fellas. The girls don't need no Bob in their life, trust me.

Back