Ventura Coach Accused of Inappropriate Acts

Why hasn't this hit the local news.

Secondly, talk to me about the pending gun charges?

Why hasn't this hit the local news.

Secondly, talk to me about the pending gun charges?

Can't speak to why no local news coverage, maybe someone should send the link to a local news station so they can do a follow up? Maybe a reporter could cover the sentencing hearing?

There are no gun charges, certain felonies prohibit you from owning a gun. A 29810 hearing is to determine if you own guns and are required to surrender them as part of your sentence. I am no lawyer so don't quote me, but that is my understanding.

Similar situation in Washington State settled for $1.5MM....Originally reported in 2015 (http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/crime/article37240515.html), and looks like it was settled 2 1/2 years later in February 2018 (http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/article199961644.html)....no idea on club soccer liability insurance, amount, or if this type of situation is even covered. Any former club directors that can weigh-in? I am pretty sure most of these clubs don't have the reserves to pay for something like this.

The club looks active and running (http://www.blackhillsfc.org) and has around 30 teams...

There are sick, horrible, evil people that find their way into our schools, government, and even medical staffs as have been seen in the news that find a way to get access to children. It does not mean that the organization as whole is "Evil" or "Bad" or other people affiliated with the org (Coaches, Administrators, Players, or Parents) are horrible and tolerate these actions....I'm sure there are good people at the club, just like there are good people at Penn State, Michigan State, US Gymnastics, etc...It makes me physically sick when I hear about these situations. I have two young girls that play and I just can't imagine something like this happening. If somebody at Eagles knew something and did not act, and allowed something like this to continue they share the responsibility and should be severely punished.

In my mind the most important thing is how do we implement the right training, controls, procedures, and awareness that can help prevent this type of thing across the board. This is optimistic, but shouldn't there be a standard set by the governing organizations, and it should be a condition of participation - in this case Cal South, and US Soccer in the case of DA Clubs, or even the municipalities that rent the field space, the insurers, and by the government to keep the non-profit status. There should be a "Code of Conduct". It would be nice to see the clubs be pro-active and take a lead on this, whether it is compliance officers, team issued devices to monitor communication, etc. Make it harder for these people to gain access to our kids. Finger Printing and Background checks as the defacto standard are not enough any longer. It does not catch what somebody is going to do, only if they have been caught in the past. Would people pay more in tuition to ensure better training, education, technology and policies to prevent these incidents? I would. There is another thread on this board about an Albion Coach and his actions and behavior. I don't know all the details, but it sounded like it was caught before the unimaginable happened. I don't know if a parent found out, or a kid spoke up, but somebody thankfully caught it.

There is some coverage through Cal South, I believe the limit is $1 Million, not sure if there is a marital estate extension on the coverage, if not, they could go after the BOD on the club personally if they had knowledge, not an attorney, just an insurance guy.

I've been thinking about this most the afternoon, and you're right, background screening is no longer enough. I'm not sure what the answer is but, it's almost like there has to be a "buddy" system so no player is EVER left alone with any coach. It's amazing VT thought this was okay, a grown man and an underage young woman, what tripped in his mind to think this was okay? Still at a loss, my heart goes out to the player and family. This does need to go out in the press so parents and players know this crap happens and they need to be aware....

It is amazing how people take leaps on things. Yes a crime was committed and a plea was reached. It is awful for the former player involved but to make statements and leap that the club knew this and the club knew that is just speculation. Couple things to think about not one other person has come forward no additional counts were added and one was dropped. The case was plead out and didn't go to trial which if you know about these type of things is very very rare. As parents it is important that we learn from these things and that it helps not only the Eagles but all clubs put better measures in place moving forward.

I would think so. Who knew what and when did they know it...
Not sure what a club is suppose to say in this situation and I am sure there will be some coverage at some point with quotes from all parties. From what it looks like the Club removed him immediately and for life. Although from reading some posts smelly cleats you seem to have an ax to grind with Eagles...Obviously a disgruntled former parent...

It is amazing how people take leaps on things. Yes a crime was committed and a plea was reached. It is awful for the former player involved but to make statements and leap that the club knew this and the club knew that is just speculation. Couple things to think about not one other person has come forward no additional counts were added and one was dropped. The case was plead out and didn't go to trial which if you know about these type of things is very very rare. As parents it is important that we learn from these things and that it helps not only the Eagles but all clubs put better measures in place moving forward.
Please read the article about US Swimming. It is not as "rare" as you think.

My issue with the club in this situation is that the president came out right away with a statement of support for him. She should have fired or suspension him, notify parents of need to talk to children in case of more vicpand then not said anything until all the facts were in. Her statement was in poor taste.

. The case was plead out and didn't go to trial which if you know about these type of things is very very rare

This is not rare, it happens every day all day long. Especially in California. Although I know nothing about this case, when you plea out, you are inviting the argument that you were avoiding a trial.

My issue with the club in this situation is that the president came out right away with a statement of support for him. She should have fired or suspension him, notify parents of need to talk to children in case of more vicpand then not said anything until all the facts were in. Her statement was in poor taste.
The club president fired him (according to the news) the day he was charged, sent an email to the parents the morning after he was arrested, hired a counselor to talk with any kids or parents that wanted to. I would say she took care of the business of the club. No need to bash anyone. There are no winners here but what we must take away is that we as parents must stay vigilant about watching our own children. We are the only ones that can make sure this doesn't happen to them.

One of the problems is the club's attitude that comes through. In the initial newspaper article the president said "there aren't any new internal procedures on the club's part that are expected to be implemented in light of the allegations...".this is definitely a time when new procedures and policies need to be put in place. She also made a point to state what a close friend he is. Right now it sounds like they are trying to cover themselves from liability in this.

Not sure what a club is suppose to say in this situation and I am sure there will be some coverage at some point with quotes from all parties. From what it looks like the Club removed him immediately and for life. Although from reading some posts smelly cleats you seem to have an ax to grind with Eagles...Obviously a disgruntled former parent...
Yes Captain Obvious, I have an have an ax to grind with Eagles. I’m pissed as hell that VT was allowed to stay in a hotel with and coach my daughter when this rumor has been in the wind for years. You bet your ass I’m disgruntled. The Kelly’s and the Eagles organization failed to act and failed to protect my daughter and others.

Interesting how people after the fact say well there was "rumors"...if schools, clubs, places of work acted on every rumor no one would have a job. Also to use the term "daughters" implies there was more than one person. At this point there is nothing to suggest there was more than one person. Speaking of rumors...word on the street is that you stole $1400 from the Eagles on the way out the door. Claiming a reimbursement check was lost getting a replacement then waiting the 6 months after the stop payment expired and cashing the 2nd check. Obviously there is a lack of credibility with all your posts..but then again just rumors?

It is highly unlikely that a 37 year old man would have sex with his 14 year old player and then never again before or after that with any other young girl. It is not a unique or casual situation to give yourself permission to cross that kind of boundary. Just because no one came forward doesn't mean there are not other victims. It is very difficult for any victim to speak up, they usually don't.

Yes Captain Obvious, I have an have an ax to grind with Eagles. I’m pissed as hell that VT was allowed to stay in a hotel with and coach my daughter when this rumor has been in the wind for years. You bet your ass I’m disgruntled. The Kelly’s and the Eagles organization failed to act and failed to protect my daughter and others.
You can tell us if I'm wrong, Smellycleats, but it sounds like you were somehow involved in the Eagles in some capacity beyond just being a parent. And it sounds like you were aware of the rumors concerning the offending coach. So ....
  • Why did you allow your own daughter to stay on the team?
  • Why did you allow your own daughter to stay at the same hotel as the coach?
  • Why did you not inform other families of the "rumors?"
  • What did you do to protect your daughter and others?
Just sayin'. I have no connection with the Eagles whatsoever, and don't know a single person involved in the organization. But, smellycleats, it sounds like the Eagles fired the coach, notified all parents, and got counseling for any players who desired it. It doesn't sound like they need to "cover their ass" from a legal standpoint, as the events described took place some 10 years ago, and any limitations statute would already have expired.

Smellycleats, you seem to enjoy bashing the Eagles. But what have you done to make things better?

Interesting how people after the fact say well there was "rumors"...if schools, clubs, places of work acted on every rumor no one would have a job. Also to use the term "daughters" implies there was more than one person. At this point there is nothing to suggest there was more than one person. Speaking of rumors...word on the street is that you stole $1400 from the Eagles on the way out the door. Claiming a reimbursement check was lost getting a replacement then waiting the 6 months after the stop payment expired and cashing the 2nd check. Obviously there is a lack of credibility with all your posts..but then again just rumors?
Actually the club owes us $2500. Seems like you’re here to shut me down and represent the interests of the adults in this matter. I am looking out for the kids- yours and mine.

Actually the club owes us $2500. Seems like you’re here to shut me down and represent the interests of the adults in this matter. I am looking out for the kids- yours and mine.
Great. We are all in favor of "looking out for kids."
Other than forum-bashing the Eagles, what have you ACTUALLY DONE to protect any child playing for the Eagles at any time.

By no means here to shut you down just want readers to understand that someone who fraudulently lied and cashed a check cannot have a credible opinion. Simply put it is legally theft and probably should be held accountable for however I have no input on that and it seems you may get a pass.

Yes, it sounds like smellycleats is quite disgruntled. But it is not because "VT was allowed to stay in a hotel with and coach" his daughter. He wants the Eagles to pay him money. It looks very much to me that smellycleats sees the coach's misconduct as a pretext to bash, rather than an effort to "protect children."

Yes, it sounds like smellycleats is quite disgruntled. But it is not because "VT was allowed to stay in a hotel with and coach" his daughter. He wants the Eagles to pay him money. It looks very much to me that smellycleats sees the coach's misconduct as a pretext to bash, rather than an effort to "protect children."
I can understand why you would make that assumption with the limited information that you have DM, but you are off base.

Back