Vaccine

The scientists are mostly the same.

It only strikes you as arrogant when one of them says something you don’t want to hear. I’m sure plenty of people also see climate scientists as arrogant, and for essentially the same reason.
Show me some scientists that retracted or apologized for an erroneous Covid prediction, or was disciplined or fired for making false and misleading Covid statements and I will change my opinion. In the real world you would get fired for some of the things that came out of the so called experts mouth. However, in academia you can't get terminated for making false statements because of tenure and under the guise of academic freedom. Although lately it seems you can be fired for true, but un-woke statements. It's an upside down world lately.

Did you think a scientist was going to step in to block publication of that “surfing risk from covid” article?
So, that's the only alternative? There are other forms of dissent that have been historically used on occasion in this country. You know, like expressing an alternative opinion. The "surfing risk" and the "hurricane of covid" Osterholm predicted were opinions. I don't suppose it should be surprising that less authoritarian approaches to dissent elude you and others. It's what happens when promoting a desired response is the primary objective of publically presenting information is combined with an elitist attitude of "we know what's best for people" and "people can't handle the truth." Add to that ostracizing other opinions, and here we are.

I agree. The media has long lost any sense of unbiased integrity. It would be a shame to see science go down that same path.

So, that's the only alternative? There are other forms of dissent that have been historically used on occasion in this country. You know, like expressing an alternative opinion. The "surfing risk" and the "hurricane of covid" Osterholm predicted were opinions. I don't suppose it should be surprising that less authoritarian approaches to dissent elude you and others. It's what happens when promoting a desired response is the primary objective of publically presenting information is combined with an elitist attitude of "we know what's best for people" and "people can't handle the truth." Add to that ostracizing other opinions, and here we are.

I agree. The media has long lost any sense of unbiased integrity. It would be a shame to see science go down that same path.
Alternative opinions were expressed. I don’t remember anyone other than Osterholm going in for the hurricane of covid theory. And one Scripps researcher is not the same as a scientific consensus.

Of course, the existence of alternative opinions does not necessarily mean that you’ll like them any better. If someone had told you that Beta would lead to another 100,00 deaths, would you have believed it or chalked it up to “group think”?

Amazing how LA Co case rates have been dropping so quickly despite no mask mandate……
That's weird, its almost like the virus does whatever it wants to do and doesn't care what we do. Of course, that's not possible because we all know we can control any virus with vaccines, masks, closing schools and not going out to eat or drink.

That's weird, its almost like the virus does whatever it wants to do and doesn't care what we do. Of course, that's not possible because we all know we can control any virus with vaccines, masks, closing schools and not going out to eat or drink.
You’re right. The virus is going to do whatever it wants.

Why does the virus hate us so much more than it hates Australia and Japan?

Border isolation
Covid made it to Australia, Japan, and New Zealand.

If the virus is going to do whatever it wants, why didn’t the virus grow when it got past the border? I don’t think a border control station at the airport is going to do anything about community spread in downtown Tokyo.

Covid made it to Australia, Japan, and New Zealand.

If the virus is going to do whatever it wants, why didn’t the virus grow when it got past the border? I don’t think a border control station at the airport is going to do anything about community spread in downtown Tokyo.

Err....look at the numbers....it took off in Australia after they dropped their restrictions. It took off in Japan after the Olympics....there's a lull in June (very tight border controls after the Olympics) and then whoosh! You aren't even looking at the facts anymore....just wholesale making up stuff.

At least you finally admit the solution you like is Australia and New Zealand. I would think in your religion confession would be good for the soul.

Had appointment at B of A and their location closed down. Big line of folks not happy. Basically, I was told the branch manager tested+ 4 Covid and the whole office freaked out and no one will work....lol! You can't make this up. Told to be shut down for two weeks find another location or bank. The branch by my house is closed for good and the second closest one is also closed and now this one at #3. These asshats are destroying our country and not the folks at the bank. Manager is super cool and told me on Friday the Truth is going to hit fan and then We The People Will Take Our Stand!!!! So sad. Old people with the look of fear and stupid mask on and now they can't get their $$$. People were pissed off and want their money now!!! No way these cheaters will allow Mid Terms to go on. When you hurt people like this it's because no one wants to go to jail forever. God helps us :(

Err....look at the numbers....it took off in Australia after they dropped their restrictions. It took off in Japan after the Olympics....there's a lull in June (very tight border controls after the Olympics) and then whoosh! You aren't even looking at the facts anymore....just wholesale making up stuff.

At least you finally admit the solution you like is Australia and New Zealand. I would think in your religion confession would be good for the soul.
Cases take off after you lift restrictions.

That’s why smart places kept their restrictions in place until after they vaccinated the population.

It worked. Their death rate stayed low. Ours did not.

Cases take off after you lift restrictions.

That’s why smart places kept their restrictions in place until after they vaccinated the population.

It worked. Their death rate stayed low. Ours did not.

"Cases take off after you lift restrictions"

Depends on the restrictions. Again, Los Angeles implemented you indoor dining vision. Didn't help. Los Angeles masking vis-a-vis OC's non didn't help. NZ/Australia restrictions...absolutely...glad you are finally being honest about your preference for them....the question then becomes you willing to trade that for the lives saved. Japan their chief safe guard was the border controls...it help limit the impact from the Olympics but you see what happens when one of the later omicron snuck through.

"That's why smart place kept their restriction in place until after they vaccinated the population"

No. You only needed them in place until the 50 and over crowd was offered the vaccination. You didn't need to force your population to make the decision (they are all adults and can make up their own mind re the risk). You didn't need to wait for the children.

"It worked. Their death rate stayed low. Ours did not."

Yes, it's pretty clear vaccination blunted the impact of deaths. Places with high vaccination uptake, particularly among the elderly, do well (China has it backwards with high vaccination among workers and low among elderly hence their panic over the lockdowns). If you take out the early nursing home deaths (Sweden did the same as NY/NJ in the nursing home), Sweden's excess death rate is on par with Norway (which didn't have masks). Vaccination (the numbers and how early they got it) and, for those nations that chose to implement it, really harsh lockdowns coupled with severe border controls are the only things which made a difference. The rest is serendipity (oh and density/living conditions). That why you have Norway with no masks and loose lockdowns that did so well, and Peru that had harsh long lasting but leaky lockdowns and open borders and masks did so poorly.

"Cases take off after you lift restrictions"

Depends on the restrictions. Again, Los Angeles implemented you indoor dining vision. Didn't help. Los Angeles masking vis-a-vis OC's non didn't help. NZ/Australia restrictions...absolutely...glad you are finally being honest about your preference for them....the question then becomes you willing to trade that for the lives saved. Japan their chief safe guard was the border controls...it help limit the impact from the Olympics but you see what happens when one of the later omicron snuck through.

"That's why smart place kept their restriction in place until after they vaccinated the population"

No. You only needed them in place until the 50 and over crowd was offered the vaccination. You didn't need to force your population to make the decision (they are all adults and can make up their own mind re the risk). You didn't need to wait for the children.

"It worked. Their death rate stayed low. Ours did not."

Yes, it's pretty clear vaccination blunted the impact of deaths. Places with high vaccination uptake, particularly among the elderly, do well (China has it backwards with high vaccination among workers and low among elderly hence their panic over the lockdowns). If you take out the early nursing home deaths (Sweden did the same as NY/NJ in the nursing home), Sweden's excess death rate is on par with Norway (which didn't have masks). Vaccination (the numbers and how early they got it) and, for those nations that chose to implement it, really harsh lockdowns coupled with severe border controls are the only things which made a difference. The rest is serendipity (oh and density/living conditions). That why you have Norway with no masks and loose lockdowns that did so well, and Peru that had harsh long lasting but leaky lockdowns and open borders and masks did so poorly.
You still haven't explained why cases in Japan and Australia didn't rise in 2020 and 2021.

If masks and NPI don't work, then Tokyo and Melbourne would have seen an explosion in cases during fall of 2020. They didn't. Something worked, and it wasn't just border controls.

Back