Vaccine

You clearly have never tried teaching Algebra to a kid who can’t multiply.

You end up rewriting the entire math book trying to hide from anything which requires numbers bigger than 25, and pass the kid with a C.

Then, when the poor kid hits Chemistry and Physics, he runs into Planck’s constant and Avogadro’s number. He can’t handle it, because the math he knows only works on small positive integers.

Congrats, I guess. One more kid bumped out of STEM because we don’t have the patience to help him where he is.
I would like to think the vast majority of kids can not only learn algebra but master it if supported properly. Once the kids have a mastery of Algebra they can complete all computational math, Chemistry, and Physics.

I think the kid in your example needs an IEP or is experiencing problems at home.

Speaking of that, just today the wife of the Herman Cain Award winner that I knew is blaming the doctors and hospital for his death. Never mind that they attended the Ken Copeland Ministries anti-vax/mask convention just a few days before the deceased came down with Covid-19. For those others who are similarly fascinated by the complete and utter stupidity of people like him, and the b.s. they believe, here is the video of the exact event he attended just a few days before he started to feel crummy. 2021 Southwest Believers’ Convention: Flashpoint LIVE (5:30 p.m. CT) | Kenneth Copeland Ministries (kcm.org). It is so funny watching this knowing there are people in the audience who are lapping it all up but will soon die because they listened to it.

From all the post-mortem comments in his FB fee, he was clearly a swell guy, despite repeatedly mocking people for wearing masks and getting vaccinated, despite his racist and homophobic comments, and although he posted on FB how funny it was to get on a plane knowing he had Covid-19 at the time. Such a selfless and god-fearing fellow. So tragic that doctors murdered him.

By the way, the lion also believed in natural immunity, although it turned out he really believed in natural selection but just didn't know it.
It’s not funny it’s sad. It’s sad how many people have been convinced to protest intelligence by risking their lives and the lives of others. Many of these people claim to be motivated by pious intentions, but from my POV they are clearly more closely aligned with evil. Karma can be deadly.

I would like to think the vast majority of kids can not only learn algebra but master it if supported properly. Once the kids have a mastery of Algebra they can complete all computational math, Chemistry, and Physics.

I think the kid in your example needs an IEP or is experiencing problems at home.
The Problem With Math is English.

You did much better with the book author explanation.

Many here just keep repeating and thus reinforcing the false statements made about the proposal to close a 40-year-old tax loophole.
Meh. I didn’t make the book analogy. If you are dealing with creative assets the painting is better (but it also illustrates the problem with unrealized value for something which is not market prices day to day like a business or a house).

A better analogy would have been a painter. But the painting also illustrates the problem with unrealized income. Let's assume I paint 3 paintings. One is the new Mona Lisa...everyone raves about it...I donated it though to the espola home for ophans in year 1, though, so it's no longer mine and therefore I haven't realized any value to it, but because of that painting, my fame spreads far and wide and everyone wants to own a Gracey. The value of my two other paintings goes up (even though they may or may not be as good as my first one hit wonder). I want to retire from the law, so I decide to sell painting two in year 2. It's value is locked in at year two, and I am taxed on the entirety of that income, less the painting costs deductions year over year (my first painting having been enough to no longer qualify my painting as a hobby but a profession). I decide to hold the 3rd painting in year 2 thinking it's value will probably increase after my death to leave to the kids....so I haven't realized the benefit of that painting....I don't even know what that painting will sell for in the future...but the IRS wants to come and tax me for holding painting 3 (even though I haven't sold it) because painting 1 did so well it increased its value (hopefully I haven't gambled away the money from painting 2, or I'm going to be forced to sell the painting 3 anyways to cover the tax on painting 3).

In year 3 I visit espola's home for orphans and get so upset with one of the kids that I slap them. Everyone is shocked and outraged and I get canceled. No one wants to own a Gracey....the value of the paintings plummets to less than the cost it made to make the painting. Painting 1 I don't own so it doesn't matter when espola's home for orphans tosses it in the fire. Painting 2 is sold and income has been taxed, so it's the problem of whoever it got sold to. Painting 3, which I've held, has collapsed in value....IRS going to write me a check for the difference since I've already paid the tax? I've retired so giving me a deduction that particular year doesn't really help. And what was the value of painting 3...the opinion of some appraiser...what if I had not slapped the ophan in year 3 and decided not to sell the painting until year 4, when the market turned down...did the auditor get the value in year 3 right? There's some Soviet style central planning right there with auditors telling you how much a painting should be worth rather than the actual market, which fluctuates day to day, telling you what the price is.
...again, put all this logic in a book, you'll have a bestseller...hurry, before the lefty loons voted in by mindless sheep tax away all forms of incentives for creativity and innovation.

...henceforth, this form of logic and common sense will be known as The Gracey Theory...in fact, moving forward all positions and arguments must be measured against The Gracey Theory.

Meh. I didn’t make the book analogy. If you are dealing with creative assets the painting is better (but it also illustrates the problem with unrealized value for something which is not market prices day to day like a business or a house).

The unrealized value in question in the tax proposal has to do with bumping the basis for calculating capital gains on an inheritance, not a cockamamie tale of painters being "canceled" because of misbehavior. No one is proposing an annual tax on gains, but that is the scare story you are participating in spreading.

Apparently I can't hear that dog whistle. ;)
Wat Fly, I read people for a living. However, I can;t do it if someone where's a mask. My read on you is this. You truly want to believe in God and know that something brought us all together on this beautiful planet. The ocean and all the colors of the Universe is one big, Yes, God is real. It's so easy for me to believe and I say that with humility. He/Mother Earth loves you to the moon & back. I know you know, we all have a good side and naughty side. Some call that a true self and false self or one's ego and alter ego. I love you man and know when the time comes to get your ass on right deck, you won;t let America down. Playing it safe is easy btw. I bet 100% when the real call goes out you will find the true light and right deck to go to. It will be your choice too. I don't ignore people because I like to debate all walks of the spirit realm. EOTL and his side kicks Long Game and Golden Gate are not playing around. Evil means business and the darkness actually think they can upset God and win this war on humanity. I swear these little devil monsters will not be around soon and all will be able to walk freely, give someone a hug, no more mask and just free to worship and free to date and be with anyone you want.

It's not a loophole its a fundamental change to the definition of income.
Remember he's supposedly a conservative, albeit a weak-minded coward mentally short-circuited by Trump, who helped usher in this garbage and the corresponding shit show we're all currently living through. So, of course he's flopping around in the pen trying to catch the pig and put lipstick on it.

The unrealized value in question in the tax proposal has to do with bumping the basis for calculating capital gains on an inheritance, not a cockamamie tale of painters being "canceled" because of misbehavior. No one is proposing an annual tax on gains, but that is the scare story you are participating in spreading.
Again, I wasn't the one who raised the book as the analogy. My comment was limited to the painting is the better one if we are going to deal in creative fixed assets

"he IRS wants to come and tax me for holding painting 3" is a fantasy in line with the current obfuscations. Is that because you were misled? Or you don't understand how capital gains works? Or you are deliberately lying? Is there another choice?

I'd suggest you educate yourself. Both WSJ and WAPO have good articles on why taxing unrealized gains is likely unconstitutional because its a wealth tax which is prohibited by the constitution.

I suggest you educate yourself on what is actually in the proposed tax law changes.

I am also amused by the proposition on the concept that "wealth tax" is unconstitutional since it is the foundation of the funding of most local and state governments.

Back