USWNT

The Bruin? I am happy for her but don't have an opinion worth anything. What did you think? There was also a Ute that debuted and the bio said she played for Legends FC even though I think she is from AZ. maybe you meant her? Not sure.

I will say that I was excited to see some diversity finally coming to the USWNT. Whether it will continue is another question, but glad to see more than the token black girl out there.

Crystal Dunn is no token. She is and was better than all the usual suspects that started in front of her at the last World Cup
Dunn was snubbed a roster spot on last years World Cup team, in favor of over the hill players like Chalupny and Boxx. I do agree she was one of the best players on the August US Womens Olympic team.

Dunn is great, but she got injured in training in the build-up before the World Cup. She wasn't snubbed. Johnston took her roster spot and didn't let it go. The biggest joke was that they were playing Dunn on defense (so was her pro team).

Soccer is one of the least diverse sports in the US. It's worse than tennis and other rich kids sports. Not sure why everyone is so shocked that our WNT looks like the Blues and Slammers rosters. Shockingly (sarcasm), the US has managed to make one of the cheapest sports in the world an elitist hobby.

On a similar note, I wonder if basketball blogs are complaining about the lack of diversity on the US men's basketball team. Just sayin.

Dunn is great, but she got injured in training in the build-up before the World Cup. She wasn't snubbed. Johnston took her roster spot and didn't let it go. The biggest joke was that they were playing Dunn on defense (so was her pro team).

Soccer is one of the least diverse sports in the US. It's worse than tennis and other rich kids sports. Not sure why everyone is so shocked that our WNT looks like the Blues and Slammers rosters. Shockingly (sarcasm), the US has managed to make one of the cheapest sports in the world an elitist hobby.

On a similar note, I wonder if basketball blogs are complaining about the lack of diversity on the US men's basketball team. Just sayin.

Revenue generating sports are a meritocracy NOW but make no mistake that was not always the case. How many legitimate national champions were there prior to the civil rights movement? How many World Series champions were legitimate prior to Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier? Make no mistake there were some immensely talented players that were excluded from most college and pro sports prior to that.

Unfortunately as long as women's soccer is not a revenue generating sport in a self sustaining way it is going to be dominated by those who are able to pay whether through parents, scholarship or benefactor.

Outside defender Lori Chalupny at age 31 made the team over Dunn. If that isn't a snub I don't know what is. BTW, Julie Johnston is a ctr defender.

Get over it.

Back