USWNT Olympic roster announced

Do you really think there are State league teams that could go to Surf Cup and win against the teams that made it in? There are these "hidden gems" no one has ever heard of that would shock everyone? I don't really think so. You may want to cancel your Disney + cuz you seeing too many fairy tales.
Yes!! There are some very good teams out there that can beat most ECNL teams. Money doesn’t buy natural talent (speed, quickness, soccer iq, grit). Tons of girls in Inner cities playing against boys at a very young age. Tons of them playing indoor and futsal with no joystick coaching. On the boys side 100% top inner city teams will beat ECNL teams.

Yes!! There are some very good teams out there that can beat most ECNL teams. Money doesn’t buy natural talent (speed, quickness, soccer iq, grit). Tons of girls in Inner cities playing against boys at a very young age. Tons of them playing indoor and futsal with no joystick coaching. On the boys side 100% top inner city teams will beat ECNL teams.

Certainly not an uncommon event. I know in AZ, on the boys side, plenty of state league teams that are just as good, if not better than the ECNL/MLS teams. Even when poached by ECNL/MLS, those teams routinely replenish their teams. Given the population of CA, I would think this isn't an uncommon thing.

Letter league pay to play is squarely in the camp of those that can afford it and have college aspirations. Just the way it is. The MLS is looking to break that cycle, casting their nets wider and not having a college play focus. We will see if it lasts.

At one point, this thread was about the USWNT’s Olympic roster….lots of shade thrown when they lost their first match, not a peep since……

There are about 70 threads dedicated to how piss poor the US Youth system is and why letter leagues suck, etc….would be nice to get this thread back in track.

Next up Australia…

At one point, this thread was about the USWNT’s Olympic roster….lots of shade thrown when they lost their first match, not a peep since……

There are about 70 threads dedicated to how piss poor the US Youth system is and why letter leagues suck, etc….would be nice to get this thread back in track.

Next up Australia…
Haha - it is about the olympic roster. Why couldn't we kill Sweden with all the girls we have in the US playing soccer? Our selection method is thru ECNL scouting events and therefore it should be open to other teams in order to pick from larger group of athletes, not just rich kids.

Australia will be a closer game but we will definitely win. The ladies still have something to prove after Sweden. The loss to Sweden was good for their drive to win and will probably be the reason they will win Gold. They won't be underestimating anyone anymore.

On the boys side, definitely. I've witnessed quality opponents over and over against my son's team.

On the girls side, not so much. There are very few non-letter league teams that will beat the top 5, or even top 10, letter league teams. I think youthsoccerrankings bears that out. I suspect the reason is that there are far more boys than girls playing non-commercial soccer outside of the suburbs, but that's just a guess.

That is a false statement…..
The youth teams are selected thru this method. D1 College scouts select most of their players thru this method. The women's team is selected thru D1 college and NWSL. NWSL selects their players thru D1 players. Following the path backwards, it's the ECNL showcases and playoffs.

Haha - it is about the olympic roster. Why couldn't we kill Sweden with all the girls we have in the US playing soccer? Our selection method is thru ECNL scouting events and therefore it should be open to other teams in order to pick from larger group of athletes, not just rich kids.

Australia will be a closer game but we will definitely win. The ladies still have something to prove after Sweden. The loss to Sweden was good for their drive to win and will probably be the reason they will win Gold. They won't be underestimating anyone anymore.
Right now, Sweden, Brazil, Netherlands, look better than the USA. Australia will be a battle and the USA could lose that game 1-2. I’m hoping for a win.

Well I will tell you this.. there are many many teams that can afford it and were denied.

So your Daughter's team was DA? Not sure that is the point here. We are talking about non letter leagues pay to play leagues and teams.
The accomplishments I mentioned were before GDA existed and were meant to point out that ECNL does not always have the best teams in an area.

The youth teams are selected thru this method. D1 College scouts select most of their players thru this method. The women's team is selected thru D1 college and NWSL. NWSL selects their players thru D1 players. Following the path backwards, it's the ECNL showcases and playoffs.
Interesting perspective, but this has not been my experience or that of a few others I know.

Nevertheless, staying on topic.

US did not put their best foot forward in my opinion, yet are still Favored to be one of the first counties to hold the World Cup trophy as well as win Gold in the Olympics in the same cycle.

It’s not how you start the tournament, it’s how you finish!

Certainly not an uncommon event. I know in AZ, on the boys side, plenty of state league teams that are just as good, if not better than the ECNL/MLS teams. Even when poached by ECNL/MLS, those teams routinely replenish their teams. Given the population of CA, I would think this isn't an uncommon thing.

Letter league pay to play is squarely in the camp of those that can afford it and have college aspirations. Just the way it is. The MLS is looking to break that cycle, casting their nets wider and not having a college play focus. We will see if it lasts.
Boys side maybe. Tuzos does seem to do that but.. they are seldom if ever top team at least not consistently. They may beat a letter league team but it is the exception not the rule. Girls side fat chance this is highly unlikely on the girls side.

Boys side maybe. Tuzos does seem to do that but.. they are seldom if ever top team at least not consistently. They may beat a letter league team but it is the exception not the rule. Girls side fat chance this is highly unlikely on the girls side.
Never mentioned the girls at all, I should have been clearer. Plenty of examples where Tuzos, FC Arizona(Classic), Excel, Valpo, others fielded as good if not better teams. I know Valpo no longer exists. Before DS became an MLS club, their boys top teams were routinely just as good.

Can anyone explain the tactics the USA tried to roll out? We played a 4-3-3 with 2 6s to avoid getting countered and protecting against Sam Kerr. Practical when you only need a tie to secure 2nd place.

But when we had the ball (37% possession - WTF?), we constantly pushed 2 mids forward and dropped our outside forwards into central midfield. Not sure how it helps to push a 6 and 10 into forward and drop a 7 and 11 into midfield, especially when Australia was playing with 2 6s as well. It was just a jumbled narrow mess and we gave up the flanks contstantly when we turned over the ball. Led to a lot of service from wide areas, 1v1 last ditch tackles and a bunch of unnecessary corners.

We did not look sharp with our effort, touches or passes. It's going to take a massive upgrade in effort and execution to beat a well drilled Netherlands side on Friday. My guess would be a 4-4-2 to help protect our outside backs from getting overloaded, but I can't remember a time when Vlatko played that formation.

Can anyone explain the tactics the USA tried to roll out? We played a 4-3-3 with 2 6s to avoid getting countered and protecting against Sam Kerr. Practical when you only need a tie to secure 2nd place.

But when we had the ball (37% possession - WTF?), we constantly pushed 2 mids forward and dropped our outside forwards into central midfield. Not sure how it helps to push a 6 and 10 into forward and drop a 7 and 11 into midfield, especially when Australia was playing with 2 6s as well. It was just a jumbled narrow mess and we gave up the flanks contstantly when we turned over the ball. Led to a lot of service from wide areas, 1v1 last ditch tackles and a bunch of unnecessary corners.

We did not look sharp with our effort, touches or passes. It's going to take a massive upgrade in effort and execution to beat a well drilled Netherlands side on Friday. My guess would be a 4-4-2 to help protect our outside backs from getting overloaded, but I can't remember a time when Vlatko played that formation.
They obviously played for the tie. I hope this doesn’t effect their next game. A very boring game to watch.

Our ladies match up well against Netherlands. They don't have the all-around pace that Sweden, Brasil and Australia have. I predict 2-0 W for the social justice warriors. And look for Rapinoe to change her hair color again.

Back