USWNT Olympic roster announced

No surprises on the roster, best of luck luck to the team. They definitely have experience on their side

Wondering what those younger players that dropped out of college to pursue their pro and full team dreams are thinking this morning.

U.S. Olympic roster

Goalkeepers
: Adrianna Franch (Portland Thorns), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars).

Defenders: Abby Dahlkemper (Manchester City), Tierna Davidson (Chicago), Crystal Dunn (Portland), Kelley O’Hara (Washington Spirit), Becky Sauerbrunn (Portland), Emily Sonnett (Washington).

Midfielders: Julie Ertz (Chicago), Lindsey Horan (Portland), Rose Lavelle (OL Reign), Kristie Mewis (Houston Dash), Sam Mewis (North Carolina Courage

Forwards: Tobin Heath (Manchester United), Carli Lloyd (Gotham FC), Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride), Christen Press (Manchester United), Megan Rapinoe (OL Reign).

Is every player on the USWNT coming from a pro team?

Kinda blows a giant hole in the old DA pathway to the USWNT marketing.

Seems like the way to be on the USWNT is to kick ass in college and continue kicking ass on a pro team.

The ONLY thing I can think of is they are giving the “veteran” players the chance to become the 1st Team to win the WC and Olympics in the same cycle and one last hoorah as 4 of the 5 forwards will likely age out.

I saw nothing impressive from Morgan or Rapinoe that would warrant them making the team, but I’m also not watching training to see what may be behind the scenes.

There is no such League that is a “pathway” to anything. It’s all just a marketing handle.
Agree 1000% just highlighting how dumb the whole pathway to XYZ marketing ploy is. It's designed to play on patents fear that if they dont throw a bunch of $$$ at them your kid wont get on some team and the sky will fall and the oceans will boil.

Must sting a little for the young up and coming players who feature so prominently in US Soccer’s social media and advertising. Shades of having your likeness used to gin up support from a fresh fan base but not being included in the main event.

When you can only take 18 players, you don't see much rolling of the dice. Excited for Kristie Mewis, she worked her way back from injury to finally crack the 1st team. Macario and Williams were named as alternates.

Loved the Ted Lasso announcement:

Ted Lasso announces Olympic Team

It makes sense if you think about it. They can present the lifetime achievement awards right after the bronze medal game.

There is no such League that is a “pathway” to anything. It’s all just a marketing handle.

I get what you are saying. Unfortunately the GDA never really got off the ground. Putting aside the politics and incompetence of US Soccer management, the staff on the ground made a valiant attempt to codify style, values, etc to what they thought the USWNT represented. I know many will scoff at that statement. Anytime a group of people makes an attempt to help out our girls in the sport, I applaud them. Hopefully someone goes back to the drawing boards.

I suppose the only pathway to the USWNT is to play/train consistently within the YNT structure.

The younguns will get their chance, some are traveling with the team. Talent wise, this is the best team in the world, even without the talented youngsters (and others) not playing. If they stay injury free, they are the favorites. Given their athlete age, they are more susceptible to injuries, fatigue, etc. With that said, they are not using walkers and wheelchairs. Many contemporary examples of athletes performing at the top of their game well into the late 30s.

I am concerned about their age, especially since I'm ignorant on how they are addressing it. They have the best trainers, doctors, etc at their disposal but those methods are not being publicized - and they shouldn't. Vlatko will either be called a genius or a bust.

Regardless, it will make for good drama and I'll be rooting for them

Wow what a roster, almost like a world cup one but called something else.

Good for our women, they will represent well and we have some soccer to cheer for.

What a contrast to the men's side where we haven't even qualified or put in a good squad

Go USA!

Yes, I agree but US Soccer disrupted the whole youth soccer system with their power, gave that false impression and pressured players into joining a club that was gifted as a DA with the threat that if you weren’t in the DA your path was closed. Then they abandoned it all blaming COVID which had nothing to do with the disaster and took no responsibility- leaving those players going through all that time with mess.

Wonder if Smith should have stayed at Stanford. Pugh perhaps should have went to Stanford. IMO big mistake for both but both are dating pro athletes and I suppose will be taken care of.

Yes, I agree but US Soccer disrupted the whole youth soccer system with their power, gave that false impression and pressured players into joining a club that was gifted as a DA with the threat that if you weren’t in the DA your path was closed. Then they abandoned it all blaming COVID which had nothing to do with the disaster and took no responsibility- leaving those players going through all that time with mess.
Not here to grind your ax with GDA…..had ECNL not allowed SoCal DOC’s to hold a virtual monopoly on the region and addressed the large geographic holes maybe things would have taken a different path. It wasn’t till year 2 of GDA that ECNL decided to make offers to clubs that had been “black balled” by these DOC’s in order to keep a lock on recruiting the talent away from those clubs. Then made them put their Top Teams in ECRL to play lopsided games for a disrupted season…..(13 games with 83 GF and 3 against)

Both my DD’s had to navigate the GDA fall-out and did so successfully. Guess we both have some ax’s to grind.

Macario not making it is a joke. Rapinoe can’t go 90 min let alone so many games in a short spell. Morgan can receive service and score but we have players who can do that plus create plus keep the ball. Lloyd keeps scoring and might murder you if you keep her off the roster but this reeks of keeping them for salary’s sake and lifetime achievement when bringing your younger players would be the smart move. ESP one like macario who is the future.

Back