USMNT - Turning Point?

Sargent and Weah can be those guys. They need a little bit of time and to be on teams where they will get service. Half the reason why Haland is doing so well is because he has Sancho and Brandt and Hazard and Reyna in support. Put Sargent and Weah into environments where they'll get looks at goal and they will only get better.
Sargent is a good call. I think Morris could also play that role and eventually Conrad.

Was Sargent not allowed to travel out of Germany? Reyna obviously did or is Sargent injured? I agree he might be that pure striker we were missing

Sargent was covid travel restrictioned by his club

The USMNT is a work in progress, lots of work ahead. Getting a consistent team with a consistency set of players getting accustomed to each other is going to be key going forward.

The haphazard methods in the past where players are thrown together for a few month or weeks, leave, change, etc is like a circle jerk that hasn't seen results so let's hope the coaching staff implements a style of play and system with players that aren't coming and going every competition.

Was Sargent not allowed to travel out of Germany? Reyna obviously did or is Sargent injured? I agree he might be that pure striker we were missing
Werder Bremen had a team mandate of no traveling and wanting players to quarantine. They therefore did not release him.

Addendum:
Oops, just saw the previous reply.

I should also add -- if Taylor Twellman or whoever is saying "the US needs a pure-bred number 9 striker kind of guy" then they aren't really paying attention to the global game. The past few years everything is about pace and winning tackles that cause immediate transition into a counterattack. You look at how Mou has gotten Kane to switch from a dude who just kinds of hangs out at the top of the box hoping for service, into an assist machine on the counterattack. You look at how my boy Jack Grealish just carves through defenses at a full run. You look at basically every Bundesliga game these days. A "pure number 9" is more expected to be doing long run counters all game long. This is where Sargent and Weah can shine. Pulisic has pace, Reyna has pace, Sargent and Weah need to learn how to work with that pace and you'll see the US start playing ball like Wolves or Villa or similar.

Sargent and Weah need to learn how to work with that pace and you'll see the US start playing ball like Wolves or Villa or similar.
I have followed Sargent over the past year. He is great at creating chances for others but he doesn’t score. I think he’s had 1 goal this season and not that many last season. He is young so that’s the upside but still plenty of work in progress for him. Can you image if we had Clint Dempsey at his prime with this team? We need a new Dempsey and in my opinion we don’t have anyone yet to measure up to his caliber.

I have followed Sargent over the past year. He is great at creating chances for others but he doesn’t score. I think he’s had 1 goal this season and not that many last season. He is young so that’s the upside but still plenty of work in progress for him. Can you image if we had Clint Dempsey at his prime with this team? We need a new Dempsey and in my opinion we don’t have anyone yet to measure up to his caliber.
The 9 isn’t just a goal scoring machine (Firminio is a great example). They need to be able to hold, press, distribute and score. It’s more about the movement and decision making. Kane’s evolution is another prime example.

The 9 isn’t just a goal scoring machine (Firminio is a great example). They need to be able to hold, press, distribute and score. It’s more about the movement and decision making. Kane’s evolution is another prime example.

Agreed but the problem is that we have no young top level 9 player that can either be a goal scorer or a hybrid. Maybe Sargent is that hybrid but he has yet to prove himself. He is starting more often now but we need to see more assist and goals. So far in 7 games for his club team he has 1 assist and 1 goal with 11 shots on goal.

I would like to see Ully Llanez more in the next game. I loved that he immediately took a shot on goal within the first 2 minutes on the field.

Much better today 6-2 over Panama

Found our #9 with Gioacchini or Soto or just to early to tell ? playing Panama who gave up several open looks in the box with the header fest.

Very true! Gioacchini did everything well except for a horrible penalty shot. Soto!!! That 2nd goal was very smart if he intended to do that! We need better competition to see what they can do. McKennie was a boss today! Dest is doing very well. If only Pulisic could stay healthy but that's a huge question mark given his injuries over the past 2 years

Miazga and Ream with the arm up for the offside call and dropped their game. Play to the whistle, they should know that by now.

They lost the runner for the first goal too.

The young players looked good, but these veterans are stuck in their old ways perhaps. I'm liking the younger guys playing more often.

I don't always agree with Lalas, but I agree that the coach has to pick his squad and stick with them. Changes will come up, but he needs to pick a core group and stay on course.

Let's see them play against a top team and hopefully, they'll still look good.

Here is a stat from Sports Illustrated.

Here’s a statistic to ponder. Let it provide some context for all the conversation, hype and footballing fantasies now taking root. Since the World Cup expanded to 32 teams in 1998, the eventual tournament champion has won an average of six matches. That’s six victories in one month. The U.S. men’s national team has won six World Cup games combined in the past 70 years. That’s six victories across 18 tournaments.

Interesting write up of the various players.

Still feel our future is brighter than ever....we have more players playing in the Champions League than ever before and not just in the roster. Players like Reyna, Pulisic, McKinney are all making an impact at high caliber clubs. Most importantly, I don’t see Bradley making it back into the line up. That in itself is a huge plus!

Still feel our future is brighter than ever....we have more players playing in the Champions League than ever before and not just in the roster. Players like Reyna, Pulisic, McKinney are all making an impact at high caliber clubs. Most importantly, I don’t see Bradley making it back into the line up. That in itself is a huge plus!
I agree, the future does look brighter vs what we have seen. I hope that pans out.

And actually the post you replied to, I thought the article was rather positive towards the type of players we are currently using.

Very nice play by the USMNT tonight (also speaks to the idiotic depths the LA Galaxy has fallen that they can't do better with their talent).

Ive never seen that Chris Mueller kid play but he looked great. Granted it was against non WC level of competition. I would like to see what he can do against better competition. I didnt understand why Lleget played again. I like him but it woud have been good to see new talent. We still need to find our top striker. I am hoping Soto can move up to a better league to see if he can compete as our top striker.

I wonder if anyone is going to boycott the WNT for supporting racial equality? Or is it only ok to treat gay people like s**t?

75C7D1EB-F35B-406B-92E3-121866AFE50B.jpeg

I wonder if anyone is going to boycott the WNT for supporting racial equality? Or is it only ok to treat gay people like s**t?

View attachment 10182

Seriously, what the fuck are you on about? We've had our differences, but for the life of me, I don't understand why you feel the need to come into a thread that doesn't have a hint of political bs and do your best to turn it into an absolute dumpster fire. There are specific threads for your incessant whining and crying. Is it too much to ask for you to not try and ruin every thread on this entire board?

Back